2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Diesel Delight

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

Diesel Delight
By joe in MD on

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have purchased nothing but diesel vehicles since about 1993, and this one won't send me back to gas! Despite a few negatives (mostly the flimsy front end spoiler which catches on curbs and has cost me about $100 to fix on 3 occasions) we love this car more every day. 45-50 mpg is the norm, the only drawback being the need to pay about $750 to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles. Its repairs have been minimal--a defect in the wiring harness when we first got it, and replacing the power steering fluid line due to a mechanic's error-- both covered by warranty. It produces none of the smoke that older technology diesels produce. My sole regret is that I didn't buy a Passat TDI in the mid-90s!

After the great gas mileage, the heated leather seats are my favorite feature. They are not as comfy as the seats in our old Mercedes, but they are easily worth the extra charge! It has a nice sound system too.

It needs just a few more inches of leg room in the back seat and a front spoiler that doesn't fall apart when you catch it on a curb!