2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 9

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
50mpg and Fun-to-Drive
By flash9 on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased the VW TDI Wagon at the end of June. As of July 20th it already has 2,250 miles on the car. It has averaged just shy of 50mpg on mostly highway miles. It is fun to be driving a stick shift again, and the low end torque of a diesel in amazing! The car is very nicely equipped for a $20k car.

Great little car
By oldyeller556677 on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Picked up my Jetta TDI in late June. Great little car. My new job is putting me at 30000 miles/year. I was driving a 2000 E150 conversion van. The fuel savings alone will cover almost half my payment!!! I'm hitting 44 mpg just scooting around town - I can now see why everybody says they blow by 50 mpg highway with these.

Great car! Just keeps going, going.....
By Christine92001 on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great fuel economy car! People are amazed, they say they didnt know VW made a Deisel car! Its sporty, fun to drive and keeps going going going and going! We fuel it maybe twice a month and we drive it alot!! Highly recommend this car to anyone who does alot of driving!

another great VW
By 65kaefer on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my Jetta Diesel in January, and love the peppy little thing! I've driven 7,000 miles so far, getting about 45 mpg. The only reason I had to bring it back to the dealer was the sunroof wouldn't close and the driver's map light would not stay on. I got the stick shift thinking I need it for accelleration and fuel ecconomy. It's ackward to shift with the armrest down, and hard to reach the radio controls while in 3rd or 5th gear. Stick with the automatic! There's plenty of head and leg room for my six foot frame. The stereo is great with cassette and CD, large buttons, and great sound.

Overall great
By Satisfied on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Overall, a great car, bought in 10/1999. Had the mass airflow sensor problem, window guides problem, and too low to the ground(front end) problem. Other than that, excellent car. Can't beat the mileage and build quality. Had one accident on right firewall, and still no squeeks and rattles!!!! Maybe the newer models have inproved some things, but hard to do.

Impressive, but sad in some areas
By Markie Marc on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

11,000 mi and runs great. 49mpg even at 85mph. Most impressive feature is the engine. It will surprise you. Not a race car, but lots of torque no matter how many people or how much cargo. Great passing power on the highway even in 5th gear. More comfortable, better road feel and smoother overall drive than it's competitors. Excellent commuter and touring car. Starts well even in cold weather. Very roomy up front, but lacks space for rear passengers. Strange cup holders, later '03 models have better ones. I will seriously consider purchasing another VW for my next vehicle.

Return of the Jetta
By Sir Drives Alot on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Fit and finish of this car and it's rock solid feel have it all over the Japanese competitors. The exterior paint is almost flawless I get between 42 and 44 mpg no matter how fast I drive.Lots of standard features even in this entry level GL model like the standard CD player. Dealer support is excellant. I have had two problems that they fixed right the first time (transmision shifting problem and pinched fuel injector line). Everyone loves the dash board lights. The attention to every detail of the interior is amazing at this price level.The folding split rear seats give it plenty of cargo room.

A great car with great mileage...
By meganuke on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Keep an eye on certain maintenance items: always use synthetic oil (Delvac 1), keep an extra mass air flow sensor on hand, and find someone with a VAG-COM to make adjustments to the EGR setting to reduce intake clogging. This should lead to many trouble free miles. I regularly travel over 800 miles per tank of fuel, averaging over 48 mpg. Even spirited driving nets 42 mpg!

Zippy, for a diesel
By chsmaine on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had many VW's and this one is terrific, like the others. The turbodiesel is quick to start and doesn't smoke a bit when driving or in traffic. The car feels like it has more than 90 hp, as the torque is so strong. No need to downshift on hills or to pass. Low RPM's on the highway make for quiet cruising. Lots of headroom (no sunroof) and storage space. Mine has the updated console with 3 cupholders (slide the rear one back and it holds a large water bottle in the gap provided by the slider.) Great feel through the steering wheel and suspension. Rides like a much larger car. No complaints.

VW not very customer oriented
By Dotts on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Overall, my vehicle is excellent. Good engine, great fuel economy (~46 mpg), well-designed. However, on three separate occasions, my window fell into the door and would not go up. This was covered under warranty, but nevertheless, was inconvenient. I called VW customer care to complain, feeling that they owed me an explanation and some special compensation. They were not willing to give me even a cupholder, despite my inconvenience. Buyers beware! VW doesn't stand behind their product!