Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Overall College Car
By ryan57us2009

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Jetta for almost two years. I tried to drift once but I forgot I had a FWD so I smashed a curb costing me 2,500 $!!! I love switching into step-tronic or w/e its called to give that extra kick of acceleration. Great on gas but It is a girl car so society says but w/e. Really interesting bass in the car too! never thought my Jetta would be bumping bass that good.

Cool Car-Mechanically unreliable
By SM

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Jetta was fun, but I found that it was the mechanical issues that bugged me. I bought this car with 36k miles on it. I had no problems for 5k-10k miles then everything went. I had to replace the sway bars, because they rusted, I had to get new front brakes and that cost $615 bucks =0( It also won't start when its 0 degrees or lower. I took it in 4 times and the dealership had no idea what was wrong. My battery was checked and was fine, everything was fine they told me. But it wasn't. I jumped ship and got a Scion TC. I love it and it starts in frigid temps. I loved this car, but hated the fact that it was mechanically garbage!

Heated cloth seats, cool blue gauges, theater seating in the rear.

The Mechanics of the vehicle. Jerky Transmission

Do not buy VW unless made in Germany
By unhappy

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VW are not made like they used to be, and until they do, do not keep one for more than warranty period. I grew up with my parents owning a beetle, Vanagon, rabbit, jetta, and all lasting 10 years plus with no issues. I bought a '00 jetta, kept until 45k miles and sold it to my sister, and that's when everything started failing. I bought a '03 jetta in '02; has 65k miles (fine until 50k miles when the warranty expired). Have spent $4k in past year in repairs. The electrical system is horrible! Factory radio died, temperature control module died, radiator fan and auxiliary fan failed, catalytic converter died, coolant leak, ignition coil problem, now my car won't start. Can't wait to see why.

When the car operates properly it's a joy to drive. The handling is excellent, it's comfortable, I get complements on the appearance.

Extend the warranty, upgrade the electrical system.

It's a Good Car
By DJ Arrington

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

When I first bought this car I loved... Love the vr6 with the 6-speed Manuel, its a really comfortable car... But I wish I wouldn't have bought it... Its a great car but I'm not a car person... I had a 2000 pathfinder that I traded in and I really miss the utility... I have had the jetta for almost 2 years and I miss having a ton of room on the inside... Thats my only complaint... It's a great car to just roll down the Windows open the sunroof and crank up the radio and just drive... Perfect weekend car...

I love the dashboard color at night... And the switchblade key/remote combo, only have to keep up with one thing for the car... Monsoon radio is amazing... The boxy sporty exterior

Bigger interior which was addressed in 2005.5 but I hate that model... Way to like a corolla on the outside for me.... Make them just a little more reliable. My car hates the cold weather which is good living in Mississippi but it does get cold in December- February and the car doesn't like a ms winter

A Good Choice After All
By a.ferrari

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This Is my first car purchased for me by my father. We went to Westloop Mitsubishi looking to buy a 2008 Lancer like my sisters but when I saw this I was whoa! I was surprised that my father had any interest in it but he did. We test drove and he loved it. It being a standard was the only set back. I knew how to drive standard but it had been a while. The salesman told us that it was a 1.8t but it said GLI. Not really knowing the difference we were okay with it. The problem arose when trying to insure it, the VIN number did not match anything. It turned out to be a VR6 shock made my insurance more than double. I have to pay for insurance but this car is definitely worth it.

The acceleration especially. The sunroof dial, the key hole that opperates the windows from outside. I love the heated leather seats also. The build quality is outstanding, everything is tight, no gaps. I also enjoy the colors of the instrument gauges. My favorite feature of all is the the key fob.

Pointless ,out of production. But oh well. Occasionally the car will get sensitive from a stop and will just shut off and will continue to for the next few times. The rear doors are really long. Its easy to ding the car next to you. Gas mileage isn't great, but what do you expect from a powerful V6?