Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Cool Car-Mechanically unreliable
By SM

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Jetta was fun, but I found that it was the mechanical issues that bugged me. I bought this car with 36k miles on it. I had no problems for 5k-10k miles then everything went. I had to replace the sway bars, because they rusted, I had to get new front brakes and that cost $615 bucks =0( It also won't start when its 0 degrees or lower. I took it in 4 times and the dealership had no idea what was wrong. My battery was checked and was fine, everything was fine they told me. But it wasn't. I jumped ship and got a Scion TC. I love it and it starts in frigid temps. I loved this car, but hated the fact that it was mechanically garbage!

Favorite Features

Heated cloth seats, cool blue gauges, theater seating in the rear.

Suggested Improvements

The Mechanics of the vehicle. Jerky Transmission

Do not buy VW unless made in Germany
By unhappy

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VW are not made like they used to be, and until they do, do not keep one for more than warranty period. I grew up with my parents owning a beetle, Vanagon, rabbit, jetta, and all lasting 10 years plus with no issues. I bought a '00 jetta, kept until 45k miles and sold it to my sister, and that's when everything started failing. I bought a '03 jetta in '02; has 65k miles (fine until 50k miles when the warranty expired). Have spent $4k in past year in repairs. The electrical system is horrible! Factory radio died, temperature control module died, radiator fan and auxiliary fan failed, catalytic converter died, coolant leak, ignition coil problem, now my car won't start. Can't wait to see why.

Favorite Features

When the car operates properly it's a joy to drive. The handling is excellent, it's comfortable, I get complements on the appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Extend the warranty, upgrade the electrical system.

It's a Good Car
By DJ Arrington

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

When I first bought this car I loved... Love the vr6 with the 6-speed Manuel, its a really comfortable car... But I wish I wouldn't have bought it... Its a great car but I'm not a car person... I had a 2000 pathfinder that I traded in and I really miss the utility... I have had the jetta for almost 2 years and I miss having a ton of room on the inside... Thats my only complaint... It's a great car to just roll down the Windows open the sunroof and crank up the radio and just drive... Perfect weekend car...

Favorite Features

I love the dashboard color at night... And the switchblade key/remote combo, only have to keep up with one thing for the car... Monsoon radio is amazing... The boxy sporty exterior

Suggested Improvements

Bigger interior which was addressed in 2005.5 but I hate that model... Way to like a corolla on the outside for me.... Make them just a little more reliable. My car hates the cold weather which is good living in Mississippi but it does get cold in December- February and the car doesn't like a ms winter

A Good Choice After All
By a.ferrari

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This Is my first car purchased for me by my father. We went to Westloop Mitsubishi looking to buy a 2008 Lancer like my sisters but when I saw this I was whoa! I was surprised that my father had any interest in it but he did. We test drove and he loved it. It being a standard was the only set back. I knew how to drive standard but it had been a while. The salesman told us that it was a 1.8t but it said GLI. Not really knowing the difference we were okay with it. The problem arose when trying to insure it, the VIN number did not match anything. It turned out to be a VR6 shock made my insurance more than double. I have to pay for insurance but this car is definitely worth it.

Favorite Features

The acceleration especially. The sunroof dial, the key hole that opperates the windows from outside. I love the heated leather seats also. The build quality is outstanding, everything is tight, no gaps. I also enjoy the colors of the instrument gauges. My favorite feature of all is the the key fob.

Suggested Improvements

Pointless ,out of production. But oh well. Occasionally the car will get sensitive from a stop and will just shut off and will continue to for the next few times. The rear doors are really long. Its easy to ding the car next to you. Gas mileage isn't great, but what do you expect from a powerful V6?

Bittersweet!
By RLomeli

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my jetta in oct of 07. Ive had to replace a cooling sensor water pump radiator hose and thermostat. I commute 60 miles daily so it doesnt surprise me that ive done this. I wish I had gotten the 1.8t for the horse power but that gets me in trouble. I am overall happy with the car to this point. I firmly believe if you take care of it it will take care of you. Oooo my radio stopped working but I was thinking of purchasing something different anyway. This is as I like to call it a cheap luxury car..... This is as close as I'm gonna get to a BMW or Mercedes so yes I love it. And VW has a history of being diff which I like.

Favorite Features

Leather,heated seats, premium wheels, body style, i don't have any kids so its plenty of room for me!

Suggested Improvements

I agree with a couple of people on here with the whole cupholder idea. It is difficult not being able to see the radio display or push buttons or change cds if you are holding a beverage there. Its on or the other you cant have both!