2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car!!!
By Jake Eigenheer on 10/09/07 17:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned Chevys, Pontiac, Buick, Lincoln and I think that my Jetta is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Overall performance, handling, and gas mileage beats all my other vehicles. This car can hold up to my abuse and that says a lot, I'm not the easiest on cars. The best factory radio.

Needs a bit more reliability
By bmalec on 06/25/07 20:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm mixed on my Jetta; I'm impressed with certain aspects, but sorely disappointed with others. On the good side, the 1.8T motor is a perfect match for the car - it's no speed demon, but it's perfect for passing on the freeway. The interior is simple, non-gimmicky and pleasing. On the down side, the car has been in for non-scheduled maintenance nine times in the first four years I've owned it, including the common broken window regulators and ignition coils. Also, the body roll during cornering and pitch during hard braking is ridiculous, because the springs are too soft. Some people say it handles like a sports car, but I'm not sure what they're comparing it to.

Where does my oil go?
By shawndugan on 03/22/07 07:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta is a beautiful car to behold, but under the hood is a different story. I purchased the car with 40,000 miles on it, so I understand that not everything is going to be perfect, but this is unbelievable. In the first thousand miles it drank 3 quarts of oil. I went to the dealer and the tech there told me that it is acceptable for the car to burn a quart every thousand miles. What? I am very unhappy and he tells me that they stopped making that engine 2.0 L because of the problem. I bought the car to avoid things like this and now for the next 6 years I have to check my oil every time I fill up. I wish someone would have told me, so I`m telling you, don`t buy this car!

Great Little Car
By w11slim on 03/15/07 13:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The Jetta GLX CR6 is a totally fun ride. It has some great features. It came down to this and the BMW 3-Series and the Jetta trumped the BMW in just about everything. It even was $2,000 less in price. Mine is red with a black interior and it is a beaut. The only negative thing I can say is I thought the gas mileage would be a little better. I have been selling Volkswagens ever since my wife and I got this car.

Great Car with Minor Flaws
By odachimaster on 01/01/07 18:10 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The car handles, performs, is responsive, and rides smoothly on these 17" tires, just as it should for a car stickered at $27,895. It has an excellent interior design with high quality materials. It has better leather than the GLSs. The 8-way power seats have nice touch memory. One negative, mine has had a few little electrical problems. Cruise would only work intermittently or the cruise light would come on and would not go off. It has been very difficult for my service center to figure out when it is not doing it when they have and they have not been as nice as tey could be. VW moved its assembly to Mexico and I would like to see if more problems have arisen.

Great Performance and Reliability
By KC Northland on 12/27/06 16:48 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great car for a driving enthusiast that wants good gas mileage. It offers responsive performance, great handling, and a gutsy V6 engine. The six speed manual transmission adds an extra fun factor, and the sporty wheels and low profile tires add an aftermarket look. It is the most reliable car I have owned. In 63,000+ miles, have only had to replace a couple bulbs and perform regular service.

Hot Looking Road Rocket - Poor Quality
By TalismanPHX on 11/10/06 13:54 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the looks, handling, and power of my Reflex Silver Jetta GLS 1.8T "road rocket". Mine is loaded with all the options (Sport Luxury package, moonroof, leather, awesome Monsoon audio). However, as much as I love to drive this car, I will never ever buy another VW again. It has very poor build quality because it was built at the Mexico assembly plant and its very cheap interior plastics ruin what should be an enjoyable car. The windows fall down into the doors due to cheap plastic clips that break and the fuel filler release has failed about seven times. The fold down rear seats rattle constantly. The car has left me stranded three times when it wouldn't start due to ignition coil failure. The CV joints have failed.

The Jetta
By jeany on 11/07/06 20:12 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little car. I drive over 65 miles one way to work and the gas mileage has been awesome. I think the car is really classy. This is the first time I have ever owned a VW and I would buy another.

Excellent
By Irod on 11/06/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe it was well taken care of before I got to it, but it never gave me any problems with my Jetta. The ride was smooth, and the fell, was awesome. The only reason I am trying to get rid of it, is because it is reaching the hi-speed depreciation mileage.

My Sporty Jetta
By Louis Rocah on 10/25/06 09:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GL is surprisingly sporty, nimble, and has plenty of power,