Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Excellent, Fast, Reliable, Looks Great
By bryans

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As you can see, I have an 03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic 5-speed I bought with 28k...now has 91k 2.5 years later. I've owned four late model Cadillacs (two DeVilles and two Eldorados). I was so disappointed in the Northstar V8 and the very cheap interior in all of them that I decided I would buy imported only now on. Boy, am I glad I did!!! First of all, the 1.8T is strong, reliable, FAST, and easy to work on and upgrade. The interior is sleek and leather is high quality and durable. Monsoon audio is awesome, but better with a subwoofer. The exterior is very sexy and stylish. The 17" wheels are great, especially with a good set of Z- rated performance tires. Too many good things to list.....

Favorite Features

The 1.8T is awesome!!! It's fast stock, but can be upgraded to limitless power numbers with all of the quality aftermarket parts available. With just an ECU reflash from a good tuning company (APR, GIAC, Revo, etc.) the 1.8T jumps another 40- 50hp and 75-100lb/ft torque. How can you complain?

Suggested Improvements

The major complaint I have about this car is the auto/tip transmission. Common problems are bad solenoids, valve bodies, TCU, and a $6700 price. My TIP has held up good so far, though. Stock coil packs are bad and need the revised ones. Minor electrical things (bad blinker switch, LED's on spoiler)

Dont buy unless you love your mechanic!
By H8MYVW

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car certified pre-owned. I have had two prior VWs. I knew parts were pricey, but since I've owned this car, it's been in for a variety of non-maintenance work! The catalytic converter was recalled and VW refused to fix it unless I paid $200 for a diagnostic test. The window brackets failed and the window fell into my door ($300) plus labor. The supposed great Monsoon stereo/CD player fails to work at times. The blinker stalk clicks at random. There is a constant squeaking when I drive over bumps that no mechanic can find the source of. My seat heat also just burned through the leather seats! And this is off the top of my head... just think long and hard before you buy!

Favorite Features

Sporty body style. The leather is nice looking. Big trunk and fold down seats. Locking back seat and gas tank access for valet. Blue light radio/gauge display.

Suggested Improvements

More room for backseat passengers. Move the cup holders out of the way of AC/heat vents!

Solid car - but reliability?
By niteflite

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The ride has been solid during my 6+ years of ownership. It's not the world's fastest car, but it's good enough. Fuel efficiency should be better on such a small engine and body, but I guess it weighs a lot. The car has been to the dealer a couple of times for recalls. One was a ridiculous one - the faulty brake light switch prevented me from being able to shift into reverse. Now there's a tech service bulletin that is not a recall - I have a check engine light on for some cooling sensor problem that will cost me some $100 to get replaced. Hopefully that will be it. The brakes are screeching like crazy in the back. When I took it into the mechanic they said it's fine.

Favorite Features

black/orange dash, heavy doors, moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

relocate the cupholder, better fuel efficiency

Fun to drive
By Danburry

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car new. I have loved every minute of it. The stereo is great! Overall It is a great car. So fun to drive in twisty roads. 6 speed manual makes all the difference.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission, sun roof, heated seats and stereo.

Suggested Improvements

The arm rest.

Overall College Car
By ryan57us2009

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Jetta for almost two years. I tried to drift once but I forgot I had a FWD so I smashed a curb costing me 2,500 $!!! I love switching into step-tronic or w/e its called to give that extra kick of acceleration. Great on gas but It is a girl car so society says but w/e. Really interesting bass in the car too! never thought my Jetta would be bumping bass that good.