2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I hate this car!
By wacqui on 07/17/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had 3 cars in the last 22 years, this Jetta is the only one in which extended time for repairs have caused me to lose out on jobs. I always wanted a VW but I HATE this car. The parts are too expensive, not always available, and it is hard to work on the car yourself. Pep Boys would not replace a water pump for me because the car was too complicated for their mechanics and the dealership mechanics are far from good. Everything about the car is hard. You must slam the trunk to close it, you must punch the horn to get it to honk. The doors are heavy. The seats are hard. If you drop something under a seat, forget it. The manual is complicated. And I could on and on..

Good car for awhile
By Christopher Bailey on 06/24/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I purchased my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta, it only had 47,000 miles on it. Not bad considering it was already three years old, and there was only one owner before me. I put at least almost 40,000 miles on it in two years, and it has not been bad, but when I first got it the wheel alignment was so off that I had to replace the rear CV joints and purchased new tires TWICE for the rear. Volkswagen should keep manufacturing in GERMANY and stop being so what I call America Cheap. That is when large corporations instead of paying export fees opt to manufacture in less expensive countries, which turns out to be more expensive for the consumer. I have compared the 1996 with the 2003. Keep trying

Great Car
By Adrian on 06/15/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far my driving experience has been awesome. The Jetta has passed every one of my expectations.

Great Car
By scotty78 on 06/14/08 17:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun and great on gas. I drive 1 hour to work and 1 hour back and can get through Friday before filling it up. It is so much fun to drive!

Be very careful!
By MJK on 06/05/08 22:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a VW. About six months ago I totaled my car so I was in the market for a new vehicle. I found a beautiful 2003 VW Jetta with 49,000+ miles at Carmax. It seemed like the perfect car. Given the fact that it was a 2003 with almost 50,000 miles I decided to buy the Carmax warranty. And I'm SO glad I did! A month after I bought the car the windows and door locks would only work when it seemed to be hot outside. If it wasn't about 90 I couldn't roll the windows up or down! And never mind being able to lock the doors! Shortly there after the air conditioning stopped working. Throughout the less than three months that I have owned the car, aside from everything

Should be a Ford fix and repair daily
By THILDRETH on 06/03/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Constant repairs only 20,000 miles and most of that to repair shop been towed three times now the Windows fell out looks good just needs lots of glue and bumper to bumper for life would not recommend this car.

great buy
By love my JETTA on 03/13/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I enjoy every moment in my Jetta, it is fun and has been very reliable. I have 70k miles on it and have not had one problem.

Awesome!
By Deej0401 on 12/15/07 18:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

So I just bought the car at the beginning of the year and I have to say this is best car that i have driven. I had a 2000 nissan pathfinder that was a really good car in terms of reliability but it had a lot of miles on it and this car was on sale and only had 40k miles on it. Drove a lot of different cars that were in the same price range, and this is by far the best car that i have ever driven. The only problem that I had was I drive aggressively, the roads in Jackson Ms are terrible so I had to put new tires on the car after about 10k miles. The tires are pretty pricey because of the rims. Other than that I have not had any problems what so ever. I love this car!!!

Do Not Buy This Car
By BigPapiOrtiz on 12/04/07 09:31 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Jetta for 5 years and haven't been able to go 5,000 miles without something failing. I love the car dearly, but it is so unreliable that I've sworn off VW/Audi for life. Struts were replaced at 30K, warning lights fire off even when there is no problem, coolant temperature gauge had to be replaced, coolant leak at 15K. Even after the recall in 02, the ignition coils failed in my car at 52K miles, 2K over the warranty. VW refused to pay for any of it, despite the fact that they sold me the car promising that the coils were not defective. Save the money and get a Civic. I wish I had, but I'm stuck with this one for a few more years.

Based on New Purchase
By M Nylen on 10/10/07 19:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Loved the look, the zip, and the plush seats. However, its been nothing but fustrations. I have been to 4 dealers in 4 years. With less than 50,000 miles the weld failed on the exhaust, the water pump went, the throttle body needed work, and now I hit 50,000 mi, I have to pay for a new radio that gets horrible reviews - Monsoon. And the list goes on.