2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Excellent all around car
By Cliff Hunt on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my first new generation VW diesel. I have driven them in Europe, and decided to buy one in 12/02. I had to have the wagon since it is made in Germany and the sedan is Mexican. I drive about 100 mi/day commuting, and need the mileage. Despite what one of the other reviewers said, this car has been FAR more reliable than MY 88 VW. I sold my 88 VW w/ 135k on it, and it was good. This car has NEVER been in the shop for anything. DO use the DELVAC 1 oil. Insist that your dealer does if you have to take it to them. The oil costs more, but it truly is worth it. I get 42-52mpg, more in summer, less in winter. Car is NOT slow (have been > 110mph)

28K miles and no problems
By mtimm on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I can drive from DC to florida on one tank, and my back doesn't hurn when I finally fill up in Florida. It's great around town and fantastic on the highway. This car is fun to drive, gets great milage and extremely comfortable. When the need arises, it holds tons of cargo. It is our favorite car we won. In fact we us it for the majority of travels and leave the BMW in the garage.

Can't beat the MPG
By ecr72 on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

So far, so good. I have not had a single problem after 20K miles. The ride is nice and space is what you would expect from a small wagon. What puts it over the top is the 44+ MPG for the amount of space in the vehicle. The leather is a must, just compare the cloth and leather at the dealer and you will understand. The back seat room is small but with a 1 year old, it will be a long time before that becomes a serious issue. I'll move up to a Passat TDI by then. Purple & Red dash lights at night are a treat.

Great Car
By CGK on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Wonderful Car. If you love fuel mileage you will love this car. I got 54 MPG on a 750 mile trip.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By FOURSBMAN on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I HAVE ONLY OWNED THIS CAR FOR 7 MONTHS AND I ALREADY HAVE PUT 22,000 MI. ON IT. I LOVE THE GAS MILEAGE OF THE TDI AND SINCE DIESEL IS A BIT CHEAPER, I LOVE IT EVEN MORE.

Best Car Ever
By I fly on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this car!!! It is so fun and nice to drive comfortable for 5 min or 5 hours!! I Love to fuel mileage, 42 to 53 mpg! Great handeling on back roads and highway. Quite interior.Great radio sound. Never seems to run out of power and It just looks great. I really love my car in case you can't tell.

The best
By luckykidd on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I love my Jetta ever since i have gotten it but lately i have had problems with the gear brake...where you up it into park, reverse, etc...and its been fixed once and it is still doing it..other then that i love the car..

Great Car for a Long Commute
By S. Taylor on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was not expecting to buy the diesel when I arrived at the VW dealership. I wanted the 1.8 T. The fule economy of the diesel made me curious so I took it for a test drive. I was amazed! It had a lot more power than had expected, and did not seem any louder than the gas engine. I bought the diesel and have had absolutly no regrets. I would recomend this vehicle to any commuter.

Volkswagen GLS TDI
By Bobjohnsunjr on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love it very much

N east jetta tdi sedan Auto trans
By northeastjettaowner on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

So far(2500miles)-so good. averaging about 45 miles per gallon of fuel! Handling is good. Several sqeaks in the interior dash and doors. Overall very good handling and GLS features.