Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car...
By scalif20@aol.com

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My jetta has served me well but have had a couple little issues with it...Whats up with the noise while the car is being turned???Need to get it into the shop...and what about it being really loud at 75mph and up...its screaming for a 6th gear. But the Car is fun and lots of compliments...especially abuot the dash and outisde appearance. I do love the car but my eyes are turning towards that 2003 Toyota 4 Runner

Favorite Features

Dash,

Suggested Improvements

NEW CUPHOLDERS>>>>>need a 6 speed on the GLS...Am I the only one who doesnt like the key????

Great
By xGQ727x

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car looks great inside and out and it drives awesome. My favorite car was the jetta, and after i got it i loved it even more.

Favorite Features

-Leather -Looks - inside and out -Speed -Just everything

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really, its great

Fun car to drive
By jpcarvaj

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is fast enough to take you safely to work. Driving this car makes me feel 5 years younger. The 6 speed manual transmission is amazing if you live in areas with no heavy traffic. Perfect clutch length makes it easy to switch gears. After three months of ownership I have to say that the perfomance and quality are outstanding. I'll be happy to update my review if anything goes wrong with my Jetta.

Favorite Features

Sport leather seats 17" alloy wheels 6 speed manual stability control, traction control, and 6 airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Monsoon: horrible sound with FM radio, no difference between AM and FM. HID lights as an option. Tires should be replaced with ultra high performance all season.

Nice advertising not so nice car...
By karlb

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Good luck with this car... Before you buy, take a look at the service hours. Determine if you can afford to take 1/2 - 1 day off from work to have your car serviced. Note: they do have weekend hours but only for certain types of service. They will not provide a loaner car for certain types of service. You guessed it, if the service you need done during the week does not fall into the right category they'd be happy to rent you a car! Poor automatic transmission. It audibley clunks when it is required to downshift. I would not purchase a VW again... My prior car a Nissan Sentra was surrounded by excellent service, good hours and lasted me 160,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Auto transmission Better sound equipment. My tape deck died after 1 year. I swallowed a library book on tape!

TDI all the way
By Matthew L.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI is great because I drive 30,000 miles a year! It did have a transmission defect at 3,000 miles which promted VW to replaced the entire transmission. VW made the best of a bad situation but the dealership was horrible, never goto Congressional! The best thing about the TDI diesel is I use a type of diesel fuel called Bio- Diesel. It's diesel fuel made from vegetable oil, the kind I use is soy based. It's not very well know that this exists because of limited availability but I can switch back to dyno-diesel (regular diesel) if Bio- Diesel is not available. The TDI will run on Bio-Disel with no modifications to the car.

Favorite Features

Many things sold me on the Jetta TDI: the mpg, reliability of diesel engines, interior fit and finish, exterior styling. The best thing about the TDI is being able to use Bio-diesel which is domestically produced, renewable, bio-degratable and cleaner.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission defect needs to be fixed before the car makes it to consumers and my particular dealership needs better customer service!