Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Fun drive - Mediocre reliability
By kmm

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car for my son back in May- 2003 and I must admit that it is very fast and a blast to drive. The car handles and performs well except for a bit of turbo lag. Interior is adequate. Having been spoiled by Japanese quality, I was dissapointed with unreliability of the car. Since buying it 5 months ago, it has been in the shop 5 times - 3 little things like a broken trunk lock and twice for dead batteries. The volkswagen dealer's been very good throughout however, providing loaner cars, etc. Overall we like the car, but would suggest you consider the trips to the service dept.

Turbo's a must have, wouldn't consider the car without it. Handling, Styling, and Interior lighting. Friendliness and service of the people at the dealership.

Improve the parts quality (ie. locks, batteries, windshield wipers, etc.)

Great Car...
By scalif20@aol.com

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My jetta has served me well but have had a couple little issues with it...Whats up with the noise while the car is being turned???Need to get it into the shop...and what about it being really loud at 75mph and up...its screaming for a 6th gear. But the Car is fun and lots of compliments...especially abuot the dash and outisde appearance. I do love the car but my eyes are turning towards that 2003 Toyota 4 Runner

Dash,

NEW CUPHOLDERS>>>>>need a 6 speed on the GLS...Am I the only one who doesnt like the key????

Luv My TDI!!!!!
By fresadulce

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has far exceeded my expectations....Downgrading from an 01 Jetta glx V6, I was expecting to be a bit disappointed. Not So! Although I do miss my heated leather bun warmers!

-Fuel economy! 700 miles....my 1st tankful!!

Monsoon should be standard....sound system is a bit weak When is VW going to change the position of the cupholder?!?!

Fun car to drive
By jpcarvaj

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is fast enough to take you safely to work. Driving this car makes me feel 5 years younger. The 6 speed manual transmission is amazing if you live in areas with no heavy traffic. Perfect clutch length makes it easy to switch gears. After three months of ownership I have to say that the perfomance and quality are outstanding. I'll be happy to update my review if anything goes wrong with my Jetta.

Sport leather seats 17" alloy wheels 6 speed manual stability control, traction control, and 6 airbags.

Monsoon: horrible sound with FM radio, no difference between AM and FM. HID lights as an option. Tires should be replaced with ultra high performance all season.

Nice advertising not so nice car...
By karlb

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Good luck with this car... Before you buy, take a look at the service hours. Determine if you can afford to take 1/2 - 1 day off from work to have your car serviced. Note: they do have weekend hours but only for certain types of service. They will not provide a loaner car for certain types of service. You guessed it, if the service you need done during the week does not fall into the right category they'd be happy to rent you a car! Poor automatic transmission. It audibley clunks when it is required to downshift. I would not purchase a VW again... My prior car a Nissan Sentra was surrounded by excellent service, good hours and lasted me 160,000 miles.

Auto transmission Better sound equipment. My tape deck died after 1 year. I swallowed a library book on tape!

• SUV