2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Daily Driver
By GrayRhino on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It's bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside. Alot of well thought out details were put into this car, for example, with the key in the door , you can roll down all the windows. Great for venting heat in summer. Mileage commuting to work, low 40s. Highway 50, depending on conditions.

Great CAr
By edaniel on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI has performed flawlessly over the last 3 months. The ride is sporty and the mileage is nearly as good as a Toyota Prius. I give this a strong recommendation!

The best value
By outbackflyer on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This thing is everything I wanted and more. I tow a small trailer (about 600lbs) and I still get ~45 MPG. Currently have 30k miles and going to do my own oil changes. Did research and found the best oil is Delvac 5w40 from Mobil. You can find it at most truck stops. It is full synth and has a C4 rating. Most dealers don't use the right oil and charge $80 to change the oil. check out www.tdiclub.com for more info. I found them extremly helpful.

Jetta 2003 Testamonial
By jharris on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a great car. Styling is sharp, finish is great, loads of features for the money. Why don't US carmakers make something to compete with this? I've got the stick shift and it's just that much more fun to drive, heated seats, sunroof, CD& cassete, what more can you get for this p

Most practical vehicle
By Kwalter on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Driving from Detroit, MI to Dalton, GA on one tank of Diesel is quite impressive. This represents a distance of about 635 miles, and I got 49 mpg! It easily keeps up with every other car on the road, is comfortable and fun to drive, and it has plenty of trunk space. Just imagine how much money someone can save by using a VW Jetta Turbo Diesel 5M for going to work?

very nice, i love it
By maame on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

i wanted this to be my first car, its a simple car, but has those extras that set it apart from the other cars, something different that other car companys are trying to copy NOW... to put it simply i love it

like my jetta
By pensacola on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

no complaints, fun to drive, great gas mileage, tight feel, beemer-like.

Jetta TDI
By Feeney on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

On a long trip with three (3) grown ups I got 52 miles per gallon.

Try a TDI, You'll Like it!
By Kang on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon in April '03 and have driven it over 15,000 miles. At 6' 4" tall, I find ample leg and head room thanks to an easily adjustable seat and telescoping / tilt steering wheel. The seats are firm yet comfortable for long trips. The 1.9 liter oil-burner is the quietest, smoothest diesel engine I've ever heard. The 5-speed manual tranny and clutch work together in perfect harmony; the shift throws are short and crisp. An economical car as well as a "driver's" car!

All great but Monsoon
By hoople on 12/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This auto fills my needs for a civilized econobox and exceeds my every expectation except for the MONSOON radio package. The sound system is tuned for rock and country, not classical music. The AM section is weak and I must rearange the balance controlls when switching to and from AM. Did someone slip me a Delco when I was not looking? Had I known it would be this bad, I would have opted for no radio at all and gone aftermarket. It seems that I will wind up doing that anyway. The Monsoon, at least the one I received, is grossly overrated and I would not recommend it. Go with the standard unit, it can't be much worse.