2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Overall, love it.....but...
By dihardvdubber on 05/07/09 10:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was my pride and joy until some jerk ran a stop light and put her out of commission. Sad day, indeed. I'd warn anyone against buying used. Can only assume every other moron out there drove the crap out of this car like I did. I mean, if the speedo says 160, shouldn't you make sure it's legit?

03' jetta
By troy on 04/17/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased as used in 08' with 65000 miles, now has 95000. Love the drive and especially the handling. The problem is a harsh shift from third to forth ( auto trans) and have spent $1500 on a valve body R & R with no help. No codes in computer and not sure what to do now. For those who do their own maintenance, VW uses there own fluids and you cannot go to the local auto parts store and buy oil trans fluid etc, and they tend to be spendy at the dealer. The 100000 mile timing belt R & R is $+-$1000 at the dealer. Frustrated vw owner.

Good at first but then......
By lilmnstrsmom on 04/06/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car for the first 60,000, then it was just problem after problem. I kept good care of the car but was having continuous issues with the water pump and other minor things. The major problem was the fact that a lot of parts in the engine were made of plastic so instead of replacing just a simple section of a part the whole thing had to be replaced. I averaged about $600 every time the car went in. About 2 years ago I spent over $2,400 at one time!! Recently the car had some more problems that included the fuel pump. I took the car in and the mechanic told me it was not worth fixing. The car had 119,000 miles on it. It did it's job. The sunroof was possessed.

Excellent, Fast, Reliable, Looks Great
By bryans on 03/17/09 20:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As you can see, I have an 03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic 5-speed I bought with 28k...now has 91k 2.5 years later. I've owned four late model Cadillacs (two DeVilles and two Eldorados). I was so disappointed in the Northstar V8 and the very cheap interior in all of them that I decided I would buy imported only now on. Boy, am I glad I did!!! First of all, the 1.8T is strong, reliable, FAST, and easy to work on and upgrade. The interior is sleek and leather is high quality and durable. Monsoon audio is awesome, but better with a subwoofer. The exterior is very sexy and stylish. The 17" wheels are great, especially with a good set of Z- rated performance tires. Too many good things to list.....

Dont buy unless you love your mechanic!
By H8MYVW on 02/23/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car certified pre-owned. I have had two prior VWs. I knew parts were pricey, but since I've owned this car, it's been in for a variety of non-maintenance work! The catalytic converter was recalled and VW refused to fix it unless I paid $200 for a diagnostic test. The window brackets failed and the window fell into my door ($300) plus labor. The supposed great Monsoon stereo/CD player fails to work at times. The blinker stalk clicks at random. There is a constant squeaking when I drive over bumps that no mechanic can find the source of. My seat heat also just burned through the leather seats! And this is off the top of my head... just think long and hard before you buy!

Solid car - but reliability?
By niteflite on 02/20/09 19:05 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The ride has been solid during my 6+ years of ownership. It's not the world's fastest car, but it's good enough. Fuel efficiency should be better on such a small engine and body, but I guess it weighs a lot. The car has been to the dealer a couple of times for recalls. One was a ridiculous one - the faulty brake light switch prevented me from being able to shift into reverse. Now there's a tech service bulletin that is not a recall - I have a check engine light on for some cooling sensor problem that will cost me some $100 to get replaced. Hopefully that will be it. The brakes are screeching like crazy in the back. When I took it into the mechanic they said it's fine.

Fun to drive
By Danburry on 02/05/09 20:36 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car new. I have loved every minute of it. The stereo is great! Overall It is a great car. So fun to drive in twisty roads. 6 speed manual makes all the difference.

Overall College Car
By ryan57us2009 on 01/29/09 13:38 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Jetta for almost two years. I tried to drift once but I forgot I had a FWD so I smashed a curb costing me 2,500 $!!! I love switching into step-tronic or w/e its called to give that extra kick of acceleration. Great on gas but It is a girl car so society says but w/e. Really interesting bass in the car too! never thought my Jetta would be bumping bass that good.

Cool Car-Mechanically unreliable
By SM on 01/26/09 16:13 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Jetta was fun, but I found that it was the mechanical issues that bugged me. I bought this car with 36k miles on it. I had no problems for 5k-10k miles then everything went. I had to replace the sway bars, because they rusted, I had to get new front brakes and that cost $615 bucks =0( It also won't start when its 0 degrees or lower. I took it in 4 times and the dealership had no idea what was wrong. My battery was checked and was fine, everything was fine they told me. But it wasn't. I jumped ship and got a Scion TC. I love it and it starts in frigid temps. I loved this car, but hated the fact that it was mechanically garbage!

Do not buy VW unless made in Germany
By unhappy on 12/31/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VW are not made like they used to be, and until they do, do not keep one for more than warranty period. I grew up with my parents owning a beetle, Vanagon, rabbit, jetta, and all lasting 10 years plus with no issues. I bought a '00 jetta, kept until 45k miles and sold it to my sister, and that's when everything started failing. I bought a '03 jetta in '02; has 65k miles (fine until 50k miles when the warranty expired). Have spent $4k in past year in repairs. The electrical system is horrible! Factory radio died, temperature control module died, radiator fan and auxiliary fan failed, catalytic converter died, coolant leak, ignition coil problem, now my car won't start. Can't wait to see why.