Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Fun car to drive
By jpcarvaj

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is fast enough to take you safely to work. Driving this car makes me feel 5 years younger. The 6 speed manual transmission is amazing if you live in areas with no heavy traffic. Perfect clutch length makes it easy to switch gears. After three months of ownership I have to say that the perfomance and quality are outstanding. I'll be happy to update my review if anything goes wrong with my Jetta.

Favorite Features

Sport leather seats 17" alloy wheels 6 speed manual stability control, traction control, and 6 airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Monsoon: horrible sound with FM radio, no difference between AM and FM. HID lights as an option. Tires should be replaced with ultra high performance all season.

Nice advertising not so nice car...
By karlb

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Good luck with this car... Before you buy, take a look at the service hours. Determine if you can afford to take 1/2 - 1 day off from work to have your car serviced. Note: they do have weekend hours but only for certain types of service. They will not provide a loaner car for certain types of service. You guessed it, if the service you need done during the week does not fall into the right category they'd be happy to rent you a car! Poor automatic transmission. It audibley clunks when it is required to downshift. I would not purchase a VW again... My prior car a Nissan Sentra was surrounded by excellent service, good hours and lasted me 160,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Auto transmission Better sound equipment. My tape deck died after 1 year. I swallowed a library book on tape!

Great
By xGQ727x

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car looks great inside and out and it drives awesome. My favorite car was the jetta, and after i got it i loved it even more.

Favorite Features

-Leather -Looks - inside and out -Speed -Just everything

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really, its great

BMW Performace, Volkswagen Prices
By Squicht

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

After owning various BMW models, including the market-leading 3-series sedan, I've come to own a Tornado Red Jetta GLI. I've found it to be an immensly entertaining ride, with a free-revving and torquey VR6 engine, a slick 6 speed which is a joy to row and pedals placed perfectly for heel- and-toe downshifts. The suspension readily absorbs road irregularities while being stiff enough to prevent excessive body roll. An all-around fun car to drive which rewards great drivers.

Favorite Features

Well-placed cruise control buttons, height-adjustable seats with supportive side bolsters, nice stereo, yawning sunroof, leather shifter and handbrake.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, (of which there are two) when in use, completely block stereo controls. Doorlocks lock automatically when moving, don't unlock when stopped, annoying when trying to get into back seat.

Great Car for the Money
By INTERAVE

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Good car for the money. I have traveled to VA a couple of times and it never gave me a problem. I had to bring my car back to the dealer 3 times for the brakes. The dealer realized it was a defect of the calipers. VW replaced the brakes at no charge. My fuel sensor went at about 35,000 miles. The paint on the car chips too easy. The cupholers are fine but need to be of a better quality than plastic. The interior is first rate. It is like having a BMW for $20,000 less! The blue and red dash always gets complements. Car has the best look in its class. Plus you can brag to your friends that you drive a German car!

Favorite Features

Dash lighting. Trunk space. Fold down flat rear seats. Adjustable Cupholders. Sound system as long as you are listening to the tape or cd and not the radio. Heated seats. Steering wheel controls for the Radio. Sunroof operation is the best.

Suggested Improvements

2.0 four needs better power. Cupholders stick too easily and become difficult to slide out of sleeve. Suspension is too squishy. Paint chips too easily.