Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

Air in the summer, heated leather seats in the winter. Love the sun roof too.

The front center armrest covers up the cup holders. A little inconvenient.

My 1st Lemon
By Lemon Owner

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, I've been very dissappointed in my Jetta. I purchased my car 11 months ago, and the transmission broke just before the one year mark. This car has always had problems. It jerks when it shifts gears, and when driven at high speeds on the freeway the car suddenly slows then jumps back up. Annoying lights on dashboard won't go away. Also has a loud clicking noise in turn signal area. Car reeks of crayons in summer. Burns motor oil like crazy. Only good thing about this car is that its great on gas. If you buy a Jetta, its best to buy a new one.

Gas mileage, interior lights, small compact design.

Add arm rests, remove cup holders to different area, make roomier, and fix electrical problems!

So far so good :)
By klockworks

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this car not that long ago for school and its pretty fun to drive so far I've had no problems with it, the clutch is smooth and so are the gears on it. Its a really good buy i would recommend this car if it's your first time buying a car or want a smooth car that's good on gas!

I love the system on it and the gauges on the dash. The gears and clutch are really good as well there's a lot to love about the car! :)

Make a little more room in the back seats and move the cup holders please.

Disappointing
By GoME!

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car without doing my research. I wish I had, it had problems from the moment I bought it. First the brake light switch, then water pump, now crazy electrical issues no one can figure out. It's very unreliable, and I've taken it to 4 different mechanics and handed the key handed back to me saying they have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm in college, so I had to downgrade to an older Toyota. It makes me sad, I loved my Jetta, but I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone. In fact, I vehemently advise all people I know considering a V-Dub, and anyone reading this, LOOK ELSEWHERE! I've heard a overwhelming number of similar stories, and wish I had done better research.

It drives wonderfully. I love the radio, the way it looks, and the way it drives. Pretty good gas mileage too.

Don't put the cup holders ABOVE the radio. What the heck? Also, the computers in these cars are wacky, and there are a lot of design flaws. Too many random things went out on this car. Never seen anything like it.

Bad Jetta
By Mad

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my jetta turbo brand new! 2 years later the engine goes out! 2 years after that the transmission went out! talk about a lemon! A lot of other things went bad i just don't have enough space for details. It looked beautiful but the vw cars are nothing but trouble. I was so glad to get rid of it and now I'm so happy with my Honda!