2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Kind Of Stinks
By MS760 on 10/27/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used about a couple weeks ago. I'm starting to notice a few things. Firstly the horrible crayola smell! Its such a strong nasty odor that gives me headaches when i drive. Found out i need to remove sound deadening material under carpet to eliminate the smell. Its shifting is jerky. A belt in the motor squeaks loud so i replaced it but continues to make noise, was told its something more pricier to fix. Steering wheel is hard to turn. Car struggles when going up hills, transmission gets loud. Shocks squeak loud. Purchased car because it was the most decent one available at car dealership. Regret buying this car. Will definitely stick to hondas after paying off this car.

Beautiful Nightmare
By PA on 10/22/09 20:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

A black Jetta was my dream car. Thank god I leased it because at 200 miles the car began to fall apart. Brake light switch went twice in one week and the car would not get out of park, window dropped down in a snowstorm and after being replaced 3 times it still leaks, computer shorted out and the whole car went dead, sunroof leaks, CD player broke, transmission bucks and VW doesn't know what is wrong with it, factory tires were awful and the car would slide in a dusting of snow, and I made a left hand turn and the front axle broke. Don't but this car without a warranty because you will be livid when u pay the price for german parts!

Mostly Reliable
By JHozer on 10/17/09 04:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Jetta new in 2003. It has been a reliable commuter except for the usual VW problems. Replaced the plastic water pump at 75,000 miles. Also, the computer is very sensitive. Check engine light pops up occasionally. Changed mass air flow sensor twice, O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor three times. On the bright side, the Jetta is a smooth ride with a very comfortable interior. Love the heated leather seats! Still getting 32mpg on the highway after 6 years.

i love my GLI
By tankman29 on 10/11/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2003 Jetta GLI and i love it. no one expected my car to be fast because it is vw and o boy where they wrong. i took the limiter of the car and have gone up to 150mph... Great car and a lot of fun. the only thing that i don't like is that the car needs more power. It has 200 hp but i will have it turoed by the end of the year and will be putting down 475hp at the wheels. I would say that it is a great car because i have been in an accident in my old Jetta were it rolled end over end and i had only a broken finger because my hand hit the roof so other then that it is a great car.

mydub
By dubman on 10/06/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

owning this 03 jetta has been wonderful and my kids love the car as well.Plus it being a 5 speed,makes it more fun to drive.The only thing that i would change is the location of the cup holders.When your on the freeway and your driving this vehicle you could be doing 80 miles an hour and not even know it.

Reliable and still love it
By ADub on 08/29/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased this car new in summer 2003 with the intention to keep it a very long time. Now has 105k miles. Stayed on top of recommended maintenance and have only had to replace a glow plug at a dealer for $130 and a sensor, possibly for water temp, for $140 at a trusted auto shop. That's it! I recommend finding a shop with a former VW tech or someone with TDI knowledge for maintenance and repairs. Mileage is still outstanding at around 50 mpg highway and 44 city.

BEWARE OF THE JETTA!!!
By ayvahbaby on 08/20/09 22:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I HAD to have a Jetta, even though my husband didn't want it. I hate when he is right! CV axle, mass air flow sensor, radio,struts,2catalytic converters in 3 months. WORST OF ALL... the ABS lights from HELL!! I have had the car since May, it's now Aug. Since the ABS light has been on, the car has ZERO power. No one seems to know why. I give up. I have it up for sale, I almost feel guilty selling it to anyone. There has been several electrical problems as well. Not at all what I expected.

NO NOT BUY A VW JETTA DIESEL
By James on 07/22/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I thought getting 45 city, 55 HWY would save me a lot of money. I have 2 Jettas, 2001 & 2003, and they break down all the time. To replace a radiator fan is $550. It take 2.4-2.6 hours of labor + the fan is over $200. The car feeds the exhaust back into itself, which takes maintenance. Recently, log a lot of power, would only go 60mph, had to replace a air control sensor, $180+ new, just a 4 inch pipe with a sensor in it, parts are very high. If you pull up to close to a concrete parking bumper, it will go under the car and pull your bumper facing out. The oil dip stick going into a plastic pipe, designed to break after heating/cooling, $20, and when it breaks, the plastic could go engin

Reliable, Comfortable
By Hozer on 06/17/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in 2003 and am about to turn 100,000 miles. Still getting 32mpg on the highway. Very comfortable car for the size. Only problems are the plastic water pump (replaced at 70k) and a touchy check engine light.

LOVE MY 2003.5 GLX VR6!!
By gnaz_jet on 06/03/09 22:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a few reliable & yet boring Toyotas, I decided to go VW, even though I read both favorable & bad reviews. It seems like a lot people have got lemons. But, my Jetta has been outstanding. I'm at 65k mi & have never had a problem. I've only done the standard maintenance, that the dealer recommends & it still drives like it did when it was brand new. It still hauls a--! and has many creature comforts, like a luxury car. To me, it's a luxury sports car & I love every minute that I'm driving it. Of course, I've upgraded the optional 17"s to BBS 18"s & changed out the red tailights to the 2005 GLI smoked ones, to give the 'ol girl a makeover & to keep her happy. She's the Best!!