Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My Lovely Jetta Wagon
By Leia45

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My father told me VW was the Nazi's revenge, but I disagree. I have had my 2003 since september 2003 and have put 29,000 miles on it so far. Gas mileage is great - I drive 60+ miles a day and I love it. It has been in the shop 2 times for minor warranty work (rear wiper pump never worked, and brake rotors were warped from factory?). I recently took it into my dealer for a 20,000 mile check up and they replaced the computer, fuel throttle and fuel pump due to a major malfunction. Each time my dealer has given me a loaner free of charge and they have taken care of the problem quickly. I will by a VW again. I LOVE MY CAR!!!

HEATED SEATS BABY! Monsoon sound system is great. I also love the cover in the trunk too keep things out of view of passerbys.

Make the replacement keys less expensive-COME ON! $100 for a darn key!!

Excellent Safety
By TMack

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After my wife got a new car, a 2001 VW Jetta VR6, I got a little jealous. So when it came my turn to buy a new car I bought a Loaded 2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T. Unfortunately I just got into a major car accident on Fathers Day (2004) that ended up totalling my Jetta. And after everything was over, I walked away with very minimal injuries, a little cut on my wrist from the front air bag, and I hit my knee on the dash. All six air bags went off, and this car saved my life. And guess what, I'm going to buy another one! Great gas mileage, and a blast to drive!

The performance of the great 1.8T, you gotta love it. And the great gas mileage, average was 30 mpg! Much better than our 2001 VR6. And I can't stress enough how safe this car is, thanks VW!!!!

Sacrifice a little bit of that great trunk for a little more rear leg room. Again, the dash cup holders still suck. They block the radio. Leather seats are better than the cloth, but still to stiff for my wife. I like them though.

Jetta - mixed results
By Goldfarb

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in early April 2004, and 3 weeks later it was in the shop for a look at the transmission, which was shifting hard between second and third gear (sometimes it would make a "clunk" sound, and the whole car would shudder). The shop couldn't find anything through their computer diagnostics and sent the car home with me. The problem continued, and the dealer ended up replacing the transmission. A 2003 car with only 4,000 miles. The "new" transmission is a slightly better but still has rather jerky shifting in the lower gears. I am very disappointed with my purchase, particularly since I traded my Honda Civic in for this VW.

Car's interior and exterior design are terrific.

Quality control on everything from transmission to seat belts!

Very Happy with This Purchase, So Far
By jsefcik

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in November, 2003. Huge incentive from VW so the car was a steal. I've been thrilled with it so far. The build quality seems far superior to the Mazda, Matrix, Impreza, Focus. No comparison really. My sis-in-law owns an Audi A4 Wagon that is a spitting image -- same exact engine, same interior --except the Audi has trip computer, leather and 4wd. If you think leather, trip computer and 4WD equals $17,000, then go for the Audi. My car was half the price of hers!

Engine, overall quality feel, value-to- price ratio

Improve the stereo a bit. Mine is the base model. I had an issue with one wiper blade after about a month. Make the GLS more distinct from the GL - - only difference is the sunroof.

Great Car
By tdi er

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It really drives and handles well. Getting 45 mpg is awesome and going 600+ miles between fill ups is nice. The wagon surprisingly hold a lot of stuff, with the front seats of the car being roomy. 10,000 miles between maintenace is a plus.

Fuel milage, handling and front seat comfort. I also have had nothing go wrong after 14 months and 20k miles. Also check out www.tdiclub.com

VW customer survice is poor. Get heated seat b/c it takes a while for engine to warm up. Automatic locking doors system sucks with wagon. Needs a longer sun visor (just drove from Arizona to California with Sun in my eyes the whole time). Rear seats are cramped, but it a small wagon.

• SUV