Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Excellent Safety
By TMack

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After my wife got a new car, a 2001 VW Jetta VR6, I got a little jealous. So when it came my turn to buy a new car I bought a Loaded 2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T. Unfortunately I just got into a major car accident on Fathers Day (2004) that ended up totalling my Jetta. And after everything was over, I walked away with very minimal injuries, a little cut on my wrist from the front air bag, and I hit my knee on the dash. All six air bags went off, and this car saved my life. And guess what, I'm going to buy another one! Great gas mileage, and a blast to drive!

Favorite Features

The performance of the great 1.8T, you gotta love it. And the great gas mileage, average was 30 mpg! Much better than our 2001 VR6. And I can't stress enough how safe this car is, thanks VW!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Sacrifice a little bit of that great trunk for a little more rear leg room. Again, the dash cup holders still suck. They block the radio. Leather seats are better than the cloth, but still to stiff for my wife. I like them though.

Jetta - mixed results
By Goldfarb

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in early April 2004, and 3 weeks later it was in the shop for a look at the transmission, which was shifting hard between second and third gear (sometimes it would make a "clunk" sound, and the whole car would shudder). The shop couldn't find anything through their computer diagnostics and sent the car home with me. The problem continued, and the dealer ended up replacing the transmission. A 2003 car with only 4,000 miles. The "new" transmission is a slightly better but still has rather jerky shifting in the lower gears. I am very disappointed with my purchase, particularly since I traded my Honda Civic in for this VW.

Favorite Features

Car's interior and exterior design are terrific.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control on everything from transmission to seat belts!

Very Happy with This Purchase, So Far
By jsefcik

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in November, 2003. Huge incentive from VW so the car was a steal. I've been thrilled with it so far. The build quality seems far superior to the Mazda, Matrix, Impreza, Focus. No comparison really. My sis-in-law owns an Audi A4 Wagon that is a spitting image -- same exact engine, same interior --except the Audi has trip computer, leather and 4wd. If you think leather, trip computer and 4WD equals $17,000, then go for the Audi. My car was half the price of hers!

Favorite Features

Engine, overall quality feel, value-to- price ratio

Suggested Improvements

Improve the stereo a bit. Mine is the base model. I had an issue with one wiper blade after about a month. Make the GLS more distinct from the GL - - only difference is the sunroof.

Great Car
By tdi er

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It really drives and handles well. Getting 45 mpg is awesome and going 600+ miles between fill ups is nice. The wagon surprisingly hold a lot of stuff, with the front seats of the car being roomy. 10,000 miles between maintenace is a plus.

Favorite Features

Fuel milage, handling and front seat comfort. I also have had nothing go wrong after 14 months and 20k miles. Also check out www.tdiclub.com

Suggested Improvements

VW customer survice is poor. Get heated seat b/c it takes a while for engine to warm up. Automatic locking doors system sucks with wagon. Needs a longer sun visor (just drove from Arizona to California with Sun in my eyes the whole time). Rear seats are cramped, but it a small wagon.

2003 JETTA WAGON
By Jim lynch

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for over one year now and am generally pleased with the vehicle. I have had a problem with the clutch pedal losing pressure a few times and also the rear seat unlocking when in the folded up position. It is a very solid car with great handling on the road. It could use a little more zip than a 2.0 offers, but for a blend of economy and preformance, it is a great car.

Favorite Features

Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

More rear legroom, cupholder placement