2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love the Mileage
By C-Bird on 04/21/06 16:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this car. I am routinely getting 44 mpg in all-around driving, and have exceeded 50 mpg twice on highway driving. The manual transmission version is a must... when I test-drove the automatic it was a slug. I had a problem with the driver's side seat heater, which subsequently became a recall. One of the instrument panel lights doesn't work. Aside from that, the Jetta has been flawless. At 550-620 miles per tank, you can pass gas stations a whole lot!

Good Overall, Some Problems
By Dave Nadeau on 04/08/06 05:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just turned 80,000 miles on my Jetta TDI. Overall, I've been very happy. The mileage is unbeatable, and the turbo works wonders in the mountains here in Colorado. Some of the other owners' comments are well taken however. My suspension squeaks. Part of my panel lights are intermittent. The suspension is too soft, which means poor ground clearance, which means the plastic under the oil pan eventually gets beat up. The passenger side door handle requires two pulls to open. Other than those issues, the car has performed quite well, with minimal maintenance.

Feel Cheated
By Nora on 04/03/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The mantra at the time of purchase was reliability. Now the mantra is how expensive maintainance will be to keep it from breaking down (again). My car has only 36,000 km on it, it has cost me a fortune in preventative maintainance and still broke down leaving me stranded about 600 miles from home (ERG valve). Dealerships have a monopoly and once you purchase they are free to charge you what ever they want if you want to keep your warranty. I do not feel confident driving distances after authorized service technicians have warned me of potential breakdowns. I will never buy VW again.

My Best Car Ever
By pete on 02/21/06 15:21 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is much peppier than my past 1982 VW Rabbit diesel. I find it responds well in the snow. It has excellent fuel economy. I have short legs and have to leave the seat rather close. I am 5'8'' and my head always hits or knocks off my hat when entering driverís side. The rear seats are a little tight. The car rides like a much heavier car and if one is not careful, the speed can creep up on you. I find the car runs reasonably well compared to my previous diesels. Overall, in my opinion this is the best car in its class and it seems to hold its value well.

Doing It Again
By m&cp on 01/29/06 17:19 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We love our 2003 Jetta so much that we are giving this one to our teenage daughter and are eagerly awaiting for our new special order 2006 Jetta to arrive. We have had problems with our Jetta but no more so than with any other car or truck that we have owned. We have recommended this car to others we know. It is a great product, and we have been getting terrific service. We can't wait to get our new Jetta this spring.

Biodiesel '03 TDI
By Eric J on 01/11/06 23:19 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought an '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 60,000 miles on it. I drove it home, changed the fuel filter and oil and filled up with 100% ASTM certified biodiesel. Now we get avg. 47 mpg hwy and run on domestically produced renewable fuel! The 177 ft lbs. of torque gives this car all the muscle anyone needs to cruise at 70 and have a good time on the road.

Great Economy car
By firedwg1 on 10/02/05 02:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI is very low maintenace and cheap to own. It gets great fuel milage. It is one of the best alternatives to Hybred Engine power! It has penty of power for long high speed driving. It can do 80 - 90 mph up hills. Plus, I can make a round trip to LA - Vegas on one tank of fuel!

Now I Know
By Shirley on 05/19/05 05:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this vehicle from a friend who leased it. Couldn't figure out why she was getting rid of a new sharp car. Now I know, it is falling apart. Brake wires underneath car are a hazard. The shocks squeak and It sounds like a transfer truck when you crank it. Grear shift stuckin park now its broke and nothing keeps it from slipping out of gear. Last but not least the air bag light keeps coming on faulty. That has been fixed twice. Not to mention two wrecks and no deployment?

Fun to drive, awful to own
By j palum on 05/11/05 22:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A stone lodged in the brakes, the front grilled chipped from a small stone hitting it on the road, the front drivers side window fell inside the door on a cold day, the car had problems starting if the temperature was below 0 degrees, it also bogged down on the highway if you turned on the air conditioning, the power fuse blew and stranded my wife on the highway, the tires lasted less than 50,000 miles, the torsion bar for the trunk stiffened making it serious exercise to open the trunk, the clip on the armrest cover broke, and the "mag" wheels peeled. It handled well and got good gas mileage, but it wasn't worth the hastle.

TDI
By GWJ on 12/12/04 16:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car that averages close to 50 mpg. Could be easier to work on simply things like headlights.