Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

FAVORITE CAR
By yellocharis

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2010, it has only been a few months of ownership but I absolutely LOVE this car! No other car of this year can really compare. The mpg is excellent! It is a small car, but that's how I like it. I do not like big cars, I don't have a family so I don't need one. It has great handling. I love every moment I spend in my car! I hardly ever want to get out of it. It is comfortable and sleek! I have had no problems with my car so far, it has been great to me=) A pleasure, not a problem. I would recommend this car to everyone!

Favorite Features

Blue and red interior lighting Comfortable seats (love the material) Sleek exterior design Quality interior materials Excellent sound system!

To many defaults! VW is garbage!
By deesingh84

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I foolishly bought this vehicle in 06'. The sporty black on black look sold me instantly. 30 days after purchasing the jetta the water pump, electrical & sunroof messed up! Ive prob invested over $4k since & counting? Vw is very expensive to fix & just for a side mirror to be replaced at vw was $954! My recall for the sunroof wasnt even accepted! This car has been a nightmare! The sunroof leaks, the waterpump went bad, there is no leg room for back seat passangers & for Goodness sake why is the cup holders above the radio? I cant see the station nor put in a cd without removing the drinks & water from my cups leak over the radio & into my cash tray. Finding rims to fit is challanging also

Favorite Features

Look, leather, interior, car lights up inside: Blue and red. Sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, more legroom! Fix electrical problems, lower rates for labor $60+ an hour and parts!

Beauty is only skin deep...
By Jetta Matic

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car used in February 2010. By November of 2010 we had spent $1,800 in repairs on the car. Problems: lunging at startup, rough idle, several heat sensors went bad, light bulbs burning out, fuel pump went out, water pump went out, bad thermostat, poor radio reception, squeaky shocks, horrible waxy/crayon odor inside, AC smelled like vinegar at times, trunk difficult to open, door handles deteriorating.

Favorite Features

Peppy, comfortable, fun to drive. Sporty car. Great sounds system.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would be to purchase something besides a VW. I will never own another one.

Love at first drive
By vdubluv

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car, powerful, turbo kicks in at low speeds to give you much better performance overall. Little to no turbo lag. And still get 25-32mpgs. I have the sport package with the suspension car handles beautifully. Could not have asked for a better deal.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, cruse controls, turbo, CD player controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Add Spoiler. ( will add myself. )

You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

Favorite Features

Air in the summer, heated leather seats in the winter. Love the sun roof too.

Suggested Improvements

The front center armrest covers up the cup holders. A little inconvenient.