2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I Guess I Got the Good One
By Ryflo77 on 07/28/10 22:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So far, I have not had any major problems with this car unlike others that seemed to have lemons. I've only had to replace the spark plugs (40k), water pump (60k), and timing belt (60k). However, this is standard maintenance for Volkswagen cars. The interior lighting is amazing in this car. It feels like I'm flying an airplane at night! I agree that this car is not built for a tall person b/c there is little room in the back nor the front, but I'm only 5'5", So its perfect for me. The turbo is great in this car. It never hesitates when you punch it. Guess I got the good one.

Fun to drive, very powerful
By Jetta Man on 06/22/10 14:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car with one owner and 36k miles. Excellent, fast, comfortable and lots of comments. It's a German made car, it's expected to be babied. You must take care of it, if you do it will perform. It's also turbo so regular checks, synthetic european blend oil, proper rated tires. Good purchase for me!

Awesome
By avalanche18 on 06/09/10 20:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is amazing. But, don't let the beauty of this car fool you. I just recently purchased it used and already have to replace the catalyst converter($380) cause of the fuel fumes I smell in the cabin of the Jetta. Well i did buy the car used with 122,00+ miles on it, these things are bound to happen. Also, the Monsoon radio has just shut off. If that happens just take fuse #42 out for thirty seconds and let the static electricity calm down. other than that this car is Amazing! The power of this vehicle is amazing.

Great Commuter
By VW88 on 05/21/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 4 months now and have put over 30,000 km on it driving from Calgary to Saskatoon and Calgary to Vancouver. Car is great for commuting and relatively cheap for regular maintenance. If you can do regular maintenance on a gasser - you can do it on a diesel! Just be sure to use a good diesel fuel additive/fuel filter to prolong the life of your injection pump and take it for a good run regularly to keep the turbo clean and prevent sticking. My injection pump recently went from cheap fuel filter, bad diesel and no fuel additive - $2000 bill, follow the above advice to avoid this costly repair and you'll be happy with the car!

It is fun car, love it!
By ben on 05/09/10 21:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2003 VW Jetta, to me it is best car for town driving, (for long distance cruising I use my Mercedes 2004 E320 which is the best in this category) Jetta is interesting to drive and FUN to drive and safest in its class, grate interior and exterior, very solid and stable on the road, I would recommend this car for everybody.

Worst Car EVER!
By J. on 05/06/10 21:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car! The water pump, pistons, cylinders, locks, windows, suspension, (and the list goes on) have gone OUT on me numerous times!! I go to the mechanic at least 2 times a year, and average spending $400-$500 each trip. I hear a constant LOUD rattling sound when I drive on the freeway, and hear loud squeaking noises when i go over speed bumps, and make wide turns, & no one can fix it! I WOULD NOT recommend this car!

Huh...
By cpr8 on 04/24/10 11:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, let me start off by saying, this is not my car, it is my brother's, but I have driven it enough. Let's start with performance. When you romp on the gas, wait a second, then you fly, and this thing can! It is so much fun, it feels like you are driving a rocket ship, the steering is so tight. But because of this, the comfort is bad, you feel every little rock, it's horrible. Oh, and don't try to put someone in the back seat. I tried, let's just say it didn't turn out so well, I'm 6'0". The exterior design is also top notch, in my opinion. The interior is also layed out very well, the Tiptronic is pretty nice too. The leather seats are supportive too. The A/C is also ice cold.

Fun, small wagon
By eapj on 01/15/10 12:58 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

So far, so good with my '03 1.8T manual wagon. I have had other VWs and wanted a small but sporty wagon and I picked this one up certified pre-owned in September 2006 with 34k miles on it. I have had to replace wear and tear items (brakes, etc.) but I have get to have a mechanical problem with it. Sure, it has quirks (sunroof sometimes opens by itself; cupholders are useless but I don't use them anyway; sometimes te rear hatch doesn't like to open). To me, these are minor annoyances that don't impact my love of the car. I plan to run it into the ground since there aren't any fun, small wagons on the market I like (new Jetta too large). So far, so good at 82k miles.

Average Car
By Mshort on 12/14/09 08:52 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago. I wish that i would have researched the engine sizes available, the 2.0 is a weak engine and doesn't get very good gas mileage. I wish that I would have gotten the 1.8T. It comes with the same estimated mpg. The build quality is very good. The styling inside and out is the best i've seen. reliability has been pretty good, sometimes gets flooded. Uses a special synthetic oil that is hard to find and expensive. And at 60,000 yo need you timing belt and water pump replaced. Costs around 800, I got lucky and only payed 450.

Always broken, Expensive to fix
By Ashton on 12/07/09 08:12 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Granted, this car was used and had 109,000 miles when I bought it, but it has been nothing but trouble. Had to have it after my cousin got one (and I got to drive it)! Both radiator fans broke within 2 weeks, $460. Multiple cylinder misfires. Some crazy coolant system-related engine code (P2182) that never goes away, had to have the thermostat and the thermostat sensor replaced, $400+. Strut mounts and CV boot joint need to be replaced. Transmission slips going into 4th. Finally found a good VW certified mechanic, but parts are expensive! Trying to sell the thing.