2003 and STILL kickin'
By oldvolkshome on
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I purchased my 2003 1.8T Jetta 5-speed new. Aside from a new water pump at 60k miles (normal) and a faulty coil over arc this car is the best car I have ever owned. It is now 2011 and have 100k miles with original brake pads and original clutch and trans. The car runs beautifully.. It helps A LOT if you drive your car gently and DON'T "over tach" and screech your tires! When it comes to having a good or bad car, it's a 50/50 thing. Just getting lucky and picking a good one combined with how you drive it and maintain it. I highly recommend using synthetic oil. I have used Mobil 1 from day one and my motor doesn't burn a DROP of oil 100k miles later. Love your car & it will love you back!!
Favorite Features
I love the timeless appearance of the Jetta (MK4).. Far superior to it's predecessor or successor! For a compact car, the MK4 Jetta is a remarkably quiet and smooth ride. The car "tracks" clean and straight. Excellent fuel economy (30mpg if you're easy on the tach (and the turbo)). Overall, it's like butter...
Suggested Improvements
Transmission is a bit noisy when shifting gears.