2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My 1st Lemon
By Lemon Owner on 08/27/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, I've been very dissappointed in my Jetta. I purchased my car 11 months ago, and the transmission broke just before the one year mark. This car has always had problems. It jerks when it shifts gears, and when driven at high speeds on the freeway the car suddenly slows then jumps back up. Annoying lights on dashboard won't go away. Also has a loud clicking noise in turn signal area. Car reeks of crayons in summer. Burns motor oil like crazy. Only good thing about this car is that its great on gas. If you buy a Jetta, its best to buy a new one.

Disappointing
By GoME! on 08/14/10 16:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car without doing my research. I wish I had, it had problems from the moment I bought it. First the brake light switch, then water pump, now crazy electrical issues no one can figure out. It's very unreliable, and I've taken it to 4 different mechanics and handed the key handed back to me saying they have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm in college, so I had to downgrade to an older Toyota. It makes me sad, I loved my Jetta, but I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone. In fact, I vehemently advise all people I know considering a V-Dub, and anyone reading this, LOOK ELSEWHERE! I've heard a overwhelming number of similar stories, and wish I had done better research.

Bad Jetta
By Mad on 08/09/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my jetta turbo brand new! 2 years later the engine goes out! 2 years after that the transmission went out! talk about a lemon! A lot of other things went bad i just don't have enough space for details. It looked beautiful but the vw cars are nothing but trouble. I was so glad to get rid of it and now I'm so happy with my Honda!

I Guess I Got the Good One
By Ryflo77 on 07/28/10 22:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So far, I have not had any major problems with this car unlike others that seemed to have lemons. I've only had to replace the spark plugs (40k), water pump (60k), and timing belt (60k). However, this is standard maintenance for Volkswagen cars. The interior lighting is amazing in this car. It feels like I'm flying an airplane at night! I agree that this car is not built for a tall person b/c there is little room in the back nor the front, but I'm only 5'5", So its perfect for me. The turbo is great in this car. It never hesitates when you punch it. Guess I got the good one.

Fun to drive, very powerful
By Jetta Man on 06/22/10 14:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car with one owner and 36k miles. Excellent, fast, comfortable and lots of comments. It's a German made car, it's expected to be babied. You must take care of it, if you do it will perform. It's also turbo so regular checks, synthetic european blend oil, proper rated tires. Good purchase for me!

Awesome
By avalanche18 on 06/09/10 20:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is amazing. But, don't let the beauty of this car fool you. I just recently purchased it used and already have to replace the catalyst converter($380) cause of the fuel fumes I smell in the cabin of the Jetta. Well i did buy the car used with 122,00+ miles on it, these things are bound to happen. Also, the Monsoon radio has just shut off. If that happens just take fuse #42 out for thirty seconds and let the static electricity calm down. other than that this car is Amazing! The power of this vehicle is amazing.

It is fun car, love it!
By ben on 05/09/10 21:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2003 VW Jetta, to me it is best car for town driving, (for long distance cruising I use my Mercedes 2004 E320 which is the best in this category) Jetta is interesting to drive and FUN to drive and safest in its class, grate interior and exterior, very solid and stable on the road, I would recommend this car for everybody.

Worst Car EVER!
By J. on 05/06/10 21:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car! The water pump, pistons, cylinders, locks, windows, suspension, (and the list goes on) have gone OUT on me numerous times!! I go to the mechanic at least 2 times a year, and average spending $400-$500 each trip. I hear a constant LOUD rattling sound when I drive on the freeway, and hear loud squeaking noises when i go over speed bumps, and make wide turns, & no one can fix it! I WOULD NOT recommend this car!

Huh...
By cpr8 on 04/24/10 11:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, let me start off by saying, this is not my car, it is my brother's, but I have driven it enough. Let's start with performance. When you romp on the gas, wait a second, then you fly, and this thing can! It is so much fun, it feels like you are driving a rocket ship, the steering is so tight. But because of this, the comfort is bad, you feel every little rock, it's horrible. Oh, and don't try to put someone in the back seat. I tried, let's just say it didn't turn out so well, I'm 6'0". The exterior design is also top notch, in my opinion. The interior is also layed out very well, the Tiptronic is pretty nice too. The leather seats are supportive too. The A/C is also ice cold.

Average Car
By Mshort on 12/14/09 08:52 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago. I wish that i would have researched the engine sizes available, the 2.0 is a weak engine and doesn't get very good gas mileage. I wish that I would have gotten the 1.8T. It comes with the same estimated mpg. The build quality is very good. The styling inside and out is the best i've seen. reliability has been pretty good, sometimes gets flooded. Uses a special synthetic oil that is hard to find and expensive. And at 60,000 yo need you timing belt and water pump replaced. Costs around 800, I got lucky and only payed 450.