Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2003 and STILL kickin'
By oldvolkshome

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my 2003 1.8T Jetta 5-speed new. Aside from a new water pump at 60k miles (normal) and a faulty coil over arc this car is the best car I have ever owned. It is now 2011 and have 100k miles with original brake pads and original clutch and trans. The car runs beautifully.. It helps A LOT if you drive your car gently and DON'T "over tach" and screech your tires! When it comes to having a good or bad car, it's a 50/50 thing. Just getting lucky and picking a good one combined with how you drive it and maintain it. I highly recommend using synthetic oil. I have used Mobil 1 from day one and my motor doesn't burn a DROP of oil 100k miles later. Love your car & it will love you back!!

Favorite Features

I love the timeless appearance of the Jetta (MK4).. Far superior to it's predecessor or successor! For a compact car, the MK4 Jetta is a remarkably quiet and smooth ride. The car "tracks" clean and straight. Excellent fuel economy (30mpg if you're easy on the tach (and the turbo)). Overall, it's like butter...

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is a bit noisy when shifting gears.

FAVORITE CAR
By yellocharis

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2010, it has only been a few months of ownership but I absolutely LOVE this car! No other car of this year can really compare. The mpg is excellent! It is a small car, but that's how I like it. I do not like big cars, I don't have a family so I don't need one. It has great handling. I love every moment I spend in my car! I hardly ever want to get out of it. It is comfortable and sleek! I have had no problems with my car so far, it has been great to me=) A pleasure, not a problem. I would recommend this car to everyone!

Favorite Features

Blue and red interior lighting Comfortable seats (love the material) Sleek exterior design Quality interior materials Excellent sound system!

To many defaults! VW is garbage!
By deesingh84

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I foolishly bought this vehicle in 06'. The sporty black on black look sold me instantly. 30 days after purchasing the jetta the water pump, electrical & sunroof messed up! Ive prob invested over $4k since & counting? Vw is very expensive to fix & just for a side mirror to be replaced at vw was $954! My recall for the sunroof wasnt even accepted! This car has been a nightmare! The sunroof leaks, the waterpump went bad, there is no leg room for back seat passangers & for Goodness sake why is the cup holders above the radio? I cant see the station nor put in a cd without removing the drinks & water from my cups leak over the radio & into my cash tray. Finding rims to fit is challanging also

Favorite Features

Look, leather, interior, car lights up inside: Blue and red. Sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, more legroom! Fix electrical problems, lower rates for labor $60+ an hour and parts!

Beauty is only skin deep...
By Jetta Matic

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car used in February 2010. By November of 2010 we had spent $1,800 in repairs on the car. Problems: lunging at startup, rough idle, several heat sensors went bad, light bulbs burning out, fuel pump went out, water pump went out, bad thermostat, poor radio reception, squeaky shocks, horrible waxy/crayon odor inside, AC smelled like vinegar at times, trunk difficult to open, door handles deteriorating.

Favorite Features

Peppy, comfortable, fun to drive. Sporty car. Great sounds system.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would be to purchase something besides a VW. I will never own another one.

Love at first drive
By vdubluv

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car, powerful, turbo kicks in at low speeds to give you much better performance overall. Little to no turbo lag. And still get 25-32mpgs. I have the sport package with the suspension car handles beautifully. Could not have asked for a better deal.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, cruse controls, turbo, CD player controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Add Spoiler. ( will add myself. )