2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
German Engineering?
By cawfebug on 01/14/08 07:08 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI engine and the handling of this car were certainly the highlights. Reliability was horrible, making me wonder why they emphasize "German Engineering". Overall, the car was very fun to drive and solid over my 60,000 miles of ownership. I sold it due to having to take it to the dealership over and over: bad wheel bearing, heater coil, heated seat caught on fire while I was driving, each light, f/r went out within 20K, flickering lights, shudder in clutch, creaking sound from suspension, rear washer fluid tube plugged, just to name a few, there were many more issues, but can't remember all. Sorry, VW, but your premium price has lost me as a repeat customer.

Diesels are GREAT
By Bob on 10/16/07 14:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Manual trans is fun. I feel like I am in control just like years ago with the standard transmission. The pick up is good working the gears.

Fuel Friendly
By K2az on 08/29/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car for the fuel mileage. When I compared it to other fuel savvy cars this by far looked and handled the best. It might not win any races off the line, but in an endurance race it would blow them away. It's very fun to drive and it looks sophisticated, unlike other gas mileage vehicles. My only complaint is they could've used better materials on the interior, and bigger cup holders. I don't know what kind of drinks europeans use but most american cups are bigger than a soda can.

TDI - the Best Buy
By TDIman on 08/11/06 17:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

While the TDI engine is more expensive to purchase, the original great gas mileage - 49 MPG/HWY with the automatic transmission, continues to improve (now 52MPG/HWY). This car is quiet (running at 2,000 cruising at 70 MPH) and cleaner than my Passat 1.8T (approx.1,500 lbs. less CO2 pollution/yr.). This turbo-diesel is a joy to run and drive. It has great torque! The many choices for fuel just tops off its versatility (standard diesel, biodiesel and with a few adaptations, vegetable oil and waste vegetable oil).

German Performance and Wfficiency
By Valikyte on 07/25/06 06:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used with 33,000 miles. So far I have not had any major issue and have been very satisfied with the economy. I knew it wasn't a large vehicle when I purchased it, so I can't complain that my 6'2'' figure is somewhat cramped on any trip longer than two hours. I realistically get about 42 mpg highway and 40 city. It is always satisfying to get 500+ miles to a tank and every once in a while put in a tank of biodiesel. My only complaint is that at 38,000 miles it developed a creak in the suspension that only presented itself after I had driven for a while. It did not affect the performance of the suspension, but did annoy me a little.

Love It or Hate It
By adhemar on 07/12/06 18:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After changing the 15 inch rims and tires with 17 inch all season performance Falken tires, this car can corner fast and not miss a beat. It has incredible handling, even without the sport suspension. It could use a little more power, but then again if it had more power God knows if it would stay on the road. I wish would have gotten the GLI VRS or GLS 1.8T. After 4 years though I'm going for the EOS in May 2007.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
By Barry Denesiuk on 06/07/06 17:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

How can you go wrong with the prices of fuel? I get more than 1,000 km (600 miles) per tank and diesel costs 10% less than gas. I sold my '92 Explorer for an '03 VW and I am making money in the process. This was before prices got crazy, my saving are more now. The car is quality throughout, leather heated seats (great for Canada), heated mirrors, huge huge trunk space for clubs and such. The back seats fold down for even more trunk space. She rides like a dream and seems to be made of a heavier gauge steel than most cars.

Diesel Delight
By joe in MD on 05/12/06 14:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have purchased nothing but diesel vehicles since about 1993, and this one won't send me back to gas! Despite a few negatives (mostly the flimsy front end spoiler which catches on curbs and has cost me about $100 to fix on 3 occasions) we love this car more every day. 45-50 mpg is the norm, the only drawback being the need to pay about $750 to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles. Its repairs have been minimal--a defect in the wiring harness when we first got it, and replacing the power steering fluid line due to a mechanic's error-- both covered by warranty. It produces none of the smoke that older technology diesels produce. My sole regret is that I didn't buy a Passat TDI in the mid-90s!

Have almost 60,000 miles and am still loving it
By traveling nurse on 04/23/06 06:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had my vehicle for over two years and it is a workhorse. I haven't had any trouble finding diesel gas and even thought it is 10 cents a gallon more I get about twice the gas mileage. We took it from Chicago to Niagra Falls and on to New York City on only 1 and 1/2 tanks of gas. It gets a whopping 44 miles per gallon on the open road. We do all our own maintenance but have never had to do anything else. Even the tires have lasted.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
By dbensey on 04/22/06 07:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI is fun to drive and gets super fuel economy. It is also very comfortable. I love its smooth ride and tight handling.