2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
FAVORITE CAR
By yellocharis on 04/10/11 15:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2010, it has only been a few months of ownership but I absolutely LOVE this car! No other car of this year can really compare. The mpg is excellent! It is a small car, but that's how I like it. I do not like big cars, I don't have a family so I don't need one. It has great handling. I love every moment I spend in my car! I hardly ever want to get out of it. It is comfortable and sleek! I have had no problems with my car so far, it has been great to me=) A pleasure, not a problem. I would recommend this car to everyone!

To many defaults! VW is garbage!
By deesingh84 on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I foolishly bought this vehicle in 06'. The sporty black on black look sold me instantly. 30 days after purchasing the jetta the water pump, electrical & sunroof messed up! Ive prob invested over $4k since & counting? Vw is very expensive to fix & just for a side mirror to be replaced at vw was $954! My recall for the sunroof wasnt even accepted! This car has been a nightmare! The sunroof leaks, the waterpump went bad, there is no leg room for back seat passangers & for Goodness sake why is the cup holders above the radio? I cant see the station nor put in a cd without removing the drinks & water from my cups leak over the radio & into my cash tray. Finding rims to fit is challanging also

Beauty is only skin deep...
By Jetta Matic on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car used in February 2010. By November of 2010 we had spent $1,800 in repairs on the car. Problems: lunging at startup, rough idle, several heat sensors went bad, light bulbs burning out, fuel pump went out, water pump went out, bad thermostat, poor radio reception, squeaky shocks, horrible waxy/crayon odor inside, AC smelled like vinegar at times, trunk difficult to open, door handles deteriorating.

Love at first drive
By vdubluv on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car, powerful, turbo kicks in at low speeds to give you much better performance overall. Little to no turbo lag. And still get 25-32mpgs. I have the sport package with the suspension car handles beautifully. Could not have asked for a better deal.

You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

My 1st Lemon
By Lemon Owner on 08/27/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, I've been very dissappointed in my Jetta. I purchased my car 11 months ago, and the transmission broke just before the one year mark. This car has always had problems. It jerks when it shifts gears, and when driven at high speeds on the freeway the car suddenly slows then jumps back up. Annoying lights on dashboard won't go away. Also has a loud clicking noise in turn signal area. Car reeks of crayons in summer. Burns motor oil like crazy. Only good thing about this car is that its great on gas. If you buy a Jetta, its best to buy a new one.

So far so good :)
By klockworks on 08/20/10 01:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this car not that long ago for school and its pretty fun to drive so far I've had no problems with it, the clutch is smooth and so are the gears on it. Its a really good buy i would recommend this car if it's your first time buying a car or want a smooth car that's good on gas!

Disappointing
By GoME! on 08/14/10 16:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car without doing my research. I wish I had, it had problems from the moment I bought it. First the brake light switch, then water pump, now crazy electrical issues no one can figure out. It's very unreliable, and I've taken it to 4 different mechanics and handed the key handed back to me saying they have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm in college, so I had to downgrade to an older Toyota. It makes me sad, I loved my Jetta, but I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone. In fact, I vehemently advise all people I know considering a V-Dub, and anyone reading this, LOOK ELSEWHERE! I've heard a overwhelming number of similar stories, and wish I had done better research.

Bad Jetta
By Mad on 08/09/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my jetta turbo brand new! 2 years later the engine goes out! 2 years after that the transmission went out! talk about a lemon! A lot of other things went bad i just don't have enough space for details. It looked beautiful but the vw cars are nothing but trouble. I was so glad to get rid of it and now I'm so happy with my Honda!

250k Mile Review
By bluebirdfan on 08/06/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Original owner of a great commuter car. Have had no major problems mechanically. Still get 44 mpg overall with 80/20 hwy/city. Ride and drive a re still surprisingly good despite having 250,000 miles. Bought the car to be able to haul cargo and get good gas mileage after using a 1/2 ton truck. Still on original clutch, brakes, transmission, etc. Very impressed with the car overall and would not hesitate to buy again when this one dies.