2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: This one is a heart breaker...

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Review

This one is a heart breaker...
By jahshwa on

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

What can I say? I've poured money into this little beast, and everything is still breaking. If its not a circuit board, its a vacuum hose or an oxygen sensor... Everything just falls apart on this car, and there seems to be no stopping the decline. I just rebuilt the transmission, replaced two axels, two boots, the A/C circuit board, the windshield washer pump, the windshield... you name it I'm replacing it. It drives great, and I loved it for a while... but this thing is high maintenance & annoying. Not worth the fun drive at all... I've already dumped an extra $6000.00 into this car, and that's what its worth now.... :(

Leather seats, fast acceleration, great steering, nice styling (before everything starts falling off)
By olliemankz
on 08/27/12 09:22 AM (PDT)

We sympathize with you wholeheartedly. My daughter just bought one of these and we are trying to figure out what of thousands of dollars worth of repairs we can do. However, I would caution this. We have discovered that the best place to take it initially, at least for us, is a reputable vw repair place. The engine and the transmission still work wonderfully, it seems, but it appears that non-vw shops are what have caused this little car's decline. The mechanic also said a non-leaking transmission is worth a premium oil that is very expensive; it's yellow, and if we give him the chance to replace the tranmission he will install that oil. We're not sure yet, but our experience so far suggests to us avoid regular mechanics and even the dealership and find someone who works on, understands in-and-out and speaks v-dub and you'll be in better hands. They may wish to soak you so tell them you don't have any money and try a place like this or Yahoo answers before you decide what repairs to go for. But if you have been using regular mechanics, that may be the reason for all the problems you have been having. You probably can't go wrong with the dealership either, but they may not notice a problem until they're halfway through fixing something else and then hit you with that repair as well. Good luck! And please wish us luck, too!