2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 11

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Pray you live near the dealership
By rhughes on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

If it weren't for the near 50mpg milage, VW would not be able to give these pieces of crap away. You will definitely need the extra fuel economy to drive back and forth to the service department. The power windows have broken twice; some sort of "switch" in the brake system failed which refused to allow the car to be put into gear; the fuel filter sprang a leak causing the injectors to suck air. That's just the top three list! You'll also need to be ready to drop $800 at the 40K mark to replace the timing belt. I would *not* trust this vehicle on a road trip.

Bad Decision
By Frustrated on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I think I completely made a mistake in buying my jetta......I have never seen as many mishaps with any other car (my family and friends included). The bumper is low to the ground and OFTEN rips off when parking.....my sunroof has also started to malfunction. In the three years I have owned this car (bought it brand new) I have already put $7000 in to it. However it is fun to drive, though not when you have to take it to the shop every two months.

Bad Decision
By frustrated on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

GLB
By gary leblanc on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

cramp in the back seat cramp in front seat to let backspace for back passenger. front bumper will break if you hit hard snow in winter...protection panel under motor falls apart in winter...this is a really bad design to reduce noise and protect components (compressor, belts)from snow. If you live where you have winter...be prepare to pay for broken plastic parts around bumper...car is to low. Window will fall from tracks...You will freeze driving to the dealer to get this fix.

Leave Gas Station Behind
By martok on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love my Jetta! The Jetta is fun to drive, has excellent fuel economy, (44- 51 mpg, up to 700 miles/tank) is good looking, and reliable. I have personally driven this vehicle about 5000 miles, and I am impressed with the precision in the steering, along with the overall maneuverability.

Really like my TDI Jetta Wagon
By new VW owner on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

TDI Jetta Wagon GLS in an automatic. Automatic is peppy - it can take warming up as you drive when outside temps. are cold (~10 deg. F) before getting to its best performance. Good torque to get started & it seems to get better as the engine is broken in (only 2000 mi. so far). Driving a little more conservatively (safely, that is) to see just how much over 40 MPG I can get - a bonus. Good std. features on the GLS (incl. the moonroof!) - got the Monsoon sound system since that's what the dealer had and the TDI Jetta Wagon is hard to find. Sounds great! Like the lit dashboard at night & "secret" storage near spare tire's a plus.

Manual + Diesel = Fun & 40mpg
By greg-dc on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Want to drive 300mi on HALF a tank of fuel. Just go order one -- it's worth the wait. Expensive? At 15000mi/yr the difference between 20mpg and 40mpg is $1500/yr ($125/mo). Oh, did I mention the German fit & finish and amazing handling? Worried about driving a diesel? If you drive a stick, don't be. You'll quickly learn to use and love having the maximum torque at 1900rpm instead of 5000 (like a Honda). We test drove an automatic, and it felt sluggish. But isn't $125/mo enough to learn to drive a stick?

Da Bomb
By jdog00700 on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Really Sweet and cool. cool heated seats and sunroof. Beats honda civic, dodge neon......anyday

The best sedan out their.
By ShelbyGT350GT500 on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I would have to say that if you are looking for a sedan with great Fuel Economy and good power i would say get a vokswagen jetta/golf with the TDI in it.

Me and my Jetta
By STROSEN on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

So far, so good. There was a problem with the front windows, that was resolved promptly and at no cost. The sound system is very good for factory equipment. Interior room is great, although the back seat area can be a little cramped. The safety features and air bag restraints are top notch. It has a cavernous trunk, even with a full size spare tire. But the best part is the fuel economy, I've averaged 42-43 mpg combined. That with about 85% of my driving being open road. The TDI engine is very strong and reaches highway speeds without a problem.