Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

All great but Monsoon
By hoople

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This auto fills my needs for a civilized econobox and exceeds my every expectation except for the MONSOON radio package. The sound system is tuned for rock and country, not classical music. The AM section is weak and I must rearange the balance controlls when switching to and from AM. Did someone slip me a Delco when I was not looking? Had I known it would be this bad, I would have opted for no radio at all and gone aftermarket. It seems that I will wind up doing that anyway. The Monsoon, at least the one I received, is grossly overrated and I would not recommend it. Go with the standard unit, it can't be much worse.

Favorite Features

Irrevelent.

Suggested Improvements

If a premium sound system is to be offered, at least make it one worth having. The dealer will do nothing for me and I resent having to throw good money after bad.

Excellent all around car
By Cliff Hunt

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my first new generation VW diesel. I have driven them in Europe, and decided to buy one in 12/02. I had to have the wagon since it is made in Germany and the sedan is Mexican. I drive about 100 mi/day commuting, and need the mileage. Despite what one of the other reviewers said, this car has been FAR more reliable than MY 88 VW. I sold my 88 VW w/ 135k on it, and it was good. This car has NEVER been in the shop for anything. DO use the DELVAC 1 oil. Insist that your dealer does if you have to take it to them. The oil costs more, but it truly is worth it. I get 42-52mpg, more in summer, less in winter. Car is NOT slow (have been > 110mph)

Favorite Features

Favorite features are the MPG, the 4 cupholders (later 03s did not have the radio mounted cupholders, they were console mounted), incredible storage in the rear, very stable car, looks good, and VERY RELIABLE!!!!!!! (also 8 airbags ,spend teh extra $ for ESP-very good, and 100k timing belt)

Suggested Improvements

Add about 6 inches more leg room combined between front and read occupants. When the rear seat is folded down, I cannot move front seat back far enough, leading to discomfort. The Monsoon is not worth the extra $, the reg radio is just as good, but with fewer speakers.

28K miles and no problems
By mtimm

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I can drive from DC to florida on one tank, and my back doesn't hurn when I finally fill up in Florida. It's great around town and fantastic on the highway. This car is fun to drive, gets great milage and extremely comfortable. When the need arises, it holds tons of cargo. It is our favorite car we won. In fact we us it for the majority of travels and leave the BMW in the garage.

Favorite Features

extremely comortable. Great feature since I go over 700 miles between fillups.

Suggested Improvements

more back seat leg room.

Can't beat the MPG
By ecr72

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

So far, so good. I have not had a single problem after 20K miles. The ride is nice and space is what you would expect from a small wagon. What puts it over the top is the 44+ MPG for the amount of space in the vehicle. The leather is a must, just compare the cloth and leather at the dealer and you will understand. The back seat room is small but with a 1 year old, it will be a long time before that becomes a serious issue. I'll move up to a Passat TDI by then. Purple & Red dash lights at night are a treat.

Favorite Features

Has to be the MPG. I drive over 100 miles a day and my wife spends more on gas in her Maxima with less than half the commute.

Suggested Improvements

More back seat leg room.

Great Car
By CGK

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Wonderful Car. If you love fuel mileage you will love this car. I got 54 MPG on a 750 mile trip.