2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Commuter
By VW88 on 05/21/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 4 months now and have put over 30,000 km on it driving from Calgary to Saskatoon and Calgary to Vancouver. Car is great for commuting and relatively cheap for regular maintenance. If you can do regular maintenance on a gasser - you can do it on a diesel! Just be sure to use a good diesel fuel additive/fuel filter to prolong the life of your injection pump and take it for a good run regularly to keep the turbo clean and prevent sticking. My injection pump recently went from cheap fuel filter, bad diesel and no fuel additive - $2000 bill, follow the above advice to avoid this costly repair and you'll be happy with the car!

Good at first but then......
By lilmnstrsmom on 04/06/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car for the first 60,000, then it was just problem after problem. I kept good care of the car but was having continuous issues with the water pump and other minor things. The major problem was the fact that a lot of parts in the engine were made of plastic so instead of replacing just a simple section of a part the whole thing had to be replaced. I averaged about $600 every time the car went in. About 2 years ago I spent over $2,400 at one time!! Recently the car had some more problems that included the fuel pump. I took the car in and the mechanic told me it was not worth fixing. The car had 119,000 miles on it. It did it's job. The sunroof was possessed.

My Lovely Jetta Wagon
By Leia45 on 12/01/04 15:58 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My father told me VW was the Nazi's revenge, but I disagree. I have had my 2003 since september 2003 and have put 29,000 miles on it so far. Gas mileage is great - I drive 60+ miles a day and I love it. It has been in the shop 2 times for minor warranty work (rear wiper pump never worked, and brake rotors were warped from factory?). I recently took it into my dealer for a 20,000 mile check up and they replaced the computer, fuel throttle and fuel pump due to a major malfunction. Each time my dealer has given me a loaner free of charge and they have taken care of the problem quickly. I will by a VW again. I LOVE MY CAR!!!

Jetta - mixed results
By Goldfarb on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in early April 2004, and 3 weeks later it was in the shop for a look at the transmission, which was shifting hard between second and third gear (sometimes it would make a "clunk" sound, and the whole car would shudder). The shop couldn't find anything through their computer diagnostics and sent the car home with me. The problem continued, and the dealer ended up replacing the transmission. A 2003 car with only 4,000 miles. The "new" transmission is a slightly better but still has rather jerky shifting in the lower gears. I am very disappointed with my purchase, particularly since I traded my Honda Civic in for this VW.

2003 JETTA WAGON
By Jim lynch on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for over one year now and am generally pleased with the vehicle. I have had a problem with the clutch pedal losing pressure a few times and also the rear seat unlocking when in the folded up position. It is a very solid car with great handling on the road. It could use a little more zip than a 2.0 offers, but for a blend of economy and preformance, it is a great car.

First Review
By gurnlark on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta GLS Wagon is an excellent family economy wagon with great performance for very enjoyable driving. It's low cost compared to the Passat makes it well worth the sligthly less room inside. The only downside is difficulty with freezing-up doors and difficult windshield frost in the extreme cold(minus zero temperatures.

Great Wgn!
By D.P.B on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most fun cars to drive, ever. It has tons of cool features, an awesome warrenty, and it just plain looks cool! Great mileage and dependablity.