2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Needed at least one review for diesel
By rcplaneman16 on 04/11/14 12:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Looked through some of the reviews and noticed not one for a diesel and everyone main complaint being MPG. Well just wanted to state that the TDI Wagon for my family has reliably gets 35-38 mpg depending how one drives on the highway and has had no major problems for 225k miles. Only things replaced was 2 alternators, original died and its replacement died while under warranty and had to clean the carbon out once so far out of the engine. everything about driving is like the gasoline that everyone has talked about.

146,000+ Miles, Lots of Fun, but Headaches Too
By pjkportland on 07/26/13 10:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned my 2003 1.8T 5A GLS wagon since new and now have over 146k miles. It really is fun to drive and has amazing cargo hauling space. But . . . expensive to maintain and gets only about 21 mpg on premium. Make sure you have a good mechanic. Mine is one of the best, and I still have a funky/random issue - a beep, blinking dash lights, then a power drop, as if the tranny disconnected with the engine. As much as I like driving the car, I think I'm going back to Honda when old blue bites the dust.

My All Time Favorite Car - 03 Jetta wagon
By zener on 02/21/13 22:59 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Of course its looks caught my eye first. Cute, but more than cute - stylish. Some cars have a classic, timeless design like a certain Honda Civic. This generation of Jetta does too. Bought it used with 21K miles, and gradually fell in love with it. Never got great gas mileage, about 21mpg. But I liked its zippy handling. Great car for city driving (and parking). Very useful cargo area. Rear seat a bit cramped for big adults. Engine is remarkable. Once, by necessity, drove it 8 miles without oil. Replaced punctured oil pan, added oil, and kept on going. Difficult to clean the beige interior, so I sold it. Hard to find a car this small on outside, this big on inside, so fun to drive.

This one is a heart breaker...
By jahshwa on 07/15/11 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

What can I say? I've poured money into this little beast, and everything is still breaking. If its not a circuit board, its a vacuum hose or an oxygen sensor... Everything just falls apart on this car, and there seems to be no stopping the decline. I just rebuilt the transmission, replaced two axels, two boots, the A/C circuit board, the windshield washer pump, the windshield... you name it I'm replacing it. It drives great, and I loved it for a while... but this thing is high maintenance & annoying. Not worth the fun drive at all... I've already dumped an extra $6000.00 into this car, and that's what its worth now.... :(

Great Commuter
By VW88 on 05/21/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 4 months now and have put over 30,000 km on it driving from Calgary to Saskatoon and Calgary to Vancouver. Car is great for commuting and relatively cheap for regular maintenance. If you can do regular maintenance on a gasser - you can do it on a diesel! Just be sure to use a good diesel fuel additive/fuel filter to prolong the life of your injection pump and take it for a good run regularly to keep the turbo clean and prevent sticking. My injection pump recently went from cheap fuel filter, bad diesel and no fuel additive - $2000 bill, follow the above advice to avoid this costly repair and you'll be happy with the car!

Fun, small wagon
By eapj on 01/15/10 12:58 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

So far, so good with my '03 1.8T manual wagon. I have had other VWs and wanted a small but sporty wagon and I picked this one up certified pre-owned in September 2006 with 34k miles on it. I have had to replace wear and tear items (brakes, etc.) but I have get to have a mechanical problem with it. Sure, it has quirks (sunroof sometimes opens by itself; cupholders are useless but I don't use them anyway; sometimes te rear hatch doesn't like to open). To me, these are minor annoyances that don't impact my love of the car. I plan to run it into the ground since there aren't any fun, small wagons on the market I like (new Jetta too large). So far, so good at 82k miles.

Good at first but then......
By lilmnstrsmom on 04/06/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car for the first 60,000, then it was just problem after problem. I kept good care of the car but was having continuous issues with the water pump and other minor things. The major problem was the fact that a lot of parts in the engine were made of plastic so instead of replacing just a simple section of a part the whole thing had to be replaced. I averaged about $600 every time the car went in. About 2 years ago I spent over $2,400 at one time!! Recently the car had some more problems that included the fuel pump. I took the car in and the mechanic told me it was not worth fixing. The car had 119,000 miles on it. It did it's job. The sunroof was possessed.

Premium Jetta - FUN to Drive
By eubor on 07/06/08 20:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car has been nothing but sensational, smooth, quiet, quick, powerful and very comfortable (even though firmer suspension). The interior quality is amazing, including soft touch materials, premium cloth and overall presentation. The car has a nice balance between fuel economy and sport. You really feel like your in a BMW, very tight. If you want a premium car, with near-luxury appointments - this is the car, believe me. I have had only two minor issues including a passenger-side seat heater stop working and a rear taillight bulb (brake light) went out. I love this car, love its beige and black interior combination that is unbelievable rich looking. Highly recommended.

1st class little car
By Will G. on 12/18/07 14:26 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car. 59500 trouble free miles. Would like more MPG however anything this fast won't deliver that.

I love my VW
By Miko on 03/11/06 17:31 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my car new in 2003. I have had no problems out of it thus far. I love the get up and go of the turbo. Even though it is turbo, the gas mileage does not suffer. I get at least 30 mpg. It is fun to drive and economical. It is also the third VW that I have owned. It is probably all that I will ever own.