Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

LOVE MY 2003.5 GLX VR6!!
By gnaz_jet

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a few reliable & yet boring Toyotas, I decided to go VW, even though I read both favorable & bad reviews. It seems like a lot people have got lemons. But, my Jetta has been outstanding. I'm at 65k mi & have never had a problem. I've only done the standard maintenance, that the dealer recommends & it still drives like it did when it was brand new. It still hauls a--! and has many creature comforts, like a luxury car. To me, it's a luxury sports car & I love every minute that I'm driving it. Of course, I've upgraded the optional 17"s to BBS 18"s & changed out the red tailights to the 2005 GLI smoked ones, to give the 'ol girl a makeover & to keep her happy. She's the Best!!

Favorite Features

Body Style, red/blue interior lights, Monsoon stereo is awesome, wood trim, Climatronic A/C unit, heated seats/memory seats, heated side mirrors, cup holders in the 2003.5 GLX have been moved to center console area which is great and everything! I love EVERYTHING about my Jetta. It rocks!

Suggested Improvements

I have none, but my passengers in the back would like more leg room! It's too bad they don't make this model anymore...it's better than any of the new Jettas, including the GLI. They should not have discontinued this one...it's a keeper! I'm looking forward to the next 65k miles!

Great Little Car
By w11slim

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The Jetta GLX CR6 is a totally fun ride. It has some great features. It came down to this and the BMW 3-Series and the Jetta trumped the BMW in just about everything. It even was $2,000 less in price. Mine is red with a black interior and it is a beaut. The only negative thing I can say is I thought the gas mileage would be a little better. I have been selling Volkswagens ever since my wife and I got this car.

Favorite Features

The interior lights at light are really great looking, the engine provides some nice power, I like the heated seats, power memory seats, and the cool Tiptronic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

I thought that the gas mileage would be better. A little more leg room in the rear would be nice.

Great Car with Minor Flaws
By odachimaster

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The car handles, performs, is responsive, and rides smoothly on these 17" tires, just as it should for a car stickered at $27,895. It has an excellent interior design with high quality materials. It has better leather than the GLSs. The 8-way power seats have nice touch memory. One negative, mine has had a few little electrical problems. Cruise would only work intermittently or the cruise light would come on and would not go off. It has been very difficult for my service center to figure out when it is not doing it when they have and they have not been as nice as tey could be. VW moved its assembly to Mexico and I would like to see if more problems have arisen.

Favorite Features

The memory seats Tiptronic shifter, exterior design, interior cabin, smooth ride, and the ability to upgrade (modify) the car with so many aftermarket products.

Suggested Improvements

VW has seem to feel discontinuing it is an improvement. So if you have one of these keep it. I believe almost nothing out there can touch it Maybe put a turbo diesel engine or turbo corn oil. Whatever they come up with. Also, improve the electric components.

My Jetta
By Alissa

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 in this car is amazing, it picks up and goes so fast. I just can't say enough good things about this car- driving, handling, comfort, and the very tiny blindspot. The changed the body style for 2005, I must say that this style is, in my opinion, the best. All in all, its great.

Favorite Features

HEATED SEATS.

I hate my car
By girl0227

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I wish someone would have told me the truth about this car. Recent Volkswagens are junk. The interioris peeling, the review mirror casing fell off, and I've had to replace three tires -- just from normal driving in Los Angeles.