Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

BEWARE OF THE JETTA!!!
By ayvahbaby

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I HAD to have a Jetta, even though my husband didn't want it. I hate when he is right! CV axle, mass air flow sensor, radio,struts,2catalytic converters in 3 months. WORST OF ALL... the ABS lights from HELL!! I have had the car since May, it's now Aug. Since the ABS light has been on, the car has ZERO power. No one seems to know why. I give up. I have it up for sale, I almost feel guilty selling it to anyone. There has been several electrical problems as well. Not at all what I expected.

The exterior

EVERYTHING!!! Cup holders are stupid.

Excellent, Fast, Reliable, Looks Great
By bryans

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As you can see, I have an 03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic 5-speed I bought with 28k...now has 91k 2.5 years later. I've owned four late model Cadillacs (two DeVilles and two Eldorados). I was so disappointed in the Northstar V8 and the very cheap interior in all of them that I decided I would buy imported only now on. Boy, am I glad I did!!! First of all, the 1.8T is strong, reliable, FAST, and easy to work on and upgrade. The interior is sleek and leather is high quality and durable. Monsoon audio is awesome, but better with a subwoofer. The exterior is very sexy and stylish. The 17" wheels are great, especially with a good set of Z- rated performance tires. Too many good things to list.....

The 1.8T is awesome!!! It's fast stock, but can be upgraded to limitless power numbers with all of the quality aftermarket parts available. With just an ECU reflash from a good tuning company (APR, GIAC, Revo, etc.) the 1.8T jumps another 40- 50hp and 75-100lb/ft torque. How can you complain?

The major complaint I have about this car is the auto/tip transmission. Common problems are bad solenoids, valve bodies, TCU, and a $6700 price. My TIP has held up good so far, though. Stock coil packs are bad and need the revised ones. Minor electrical things (bad blinker switch, LED's on spoiler)

Dont buy unless you love your mechanic!
By H8MYVW

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car certified pre-owned. I have had two prior VWs. I knew parts were pricey, but since I've owned this car, it's been in for a variety of non-maintenance work! The catalytic converter was recalled and VW refused to fix it unless I paid $200 for a diagnostic test. The window brackets failed and the window fell into my door ($300) plus labor. The supposed great Monsoon stereo/CD player fails to work at times. The blinker stalk clicks at random. There is a constant squeaking when I drive over bumps that no mechanic can find the source of. My seat heat also just burned through the leather seats! And this is off the top of my head... just think long and hard before you buy!

Sporty body style. The leather is nice looking. Big trunk and fold down seats. Locking back seat and gas tank access for valet. Blue light radio/gauge display.

More room for backseat passengers. Move the cup holders out of the way of AC/heat vents!

Fun to drive when not in the shop
By sean

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my Jetta with 5 miles and all options. After 5 years, it has about 30K miles (I don't drive much) and is often in the shop. If the engine light isn't on then it's a recall. It's had electrical issues (interior dash lights no longer works), rear pillar rattling, suspension problems and the list goes on. Once off warranty, the repairs are very costly! I'm not sure how some can rate this car with a 9 or 10 reliability. Perhaps I got the lemon. It's a fun car to drive but definitely my last VW.

great to the touch interior, exterior design, zippy turbo, nice key

improve build quality and reliability. German engineered but not made in Germany.

Superb Driving Experience and Safety
By HOU08

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought Jetta GLS 1.8T, sport package, auto, fully loaded, sunroof, in Dec 05 with 29K miles. 65K now in Jul 08. The car is a pleasure to drive. Fast acceleration and breaking, comfortable (I’m 34 and 6.1), excellent performance and road handling. The car fatefully listens to your, very safe. 1.8T is nothing like regular Jettas. Mechanical problems: a year ago both front suspensions squeaking & back wheels humming noise started- mechanic thinks nothing serious. Rear passenger side door could not open, fixed under warranty. Electrical problems: passenger seat heater broke, 6 of 8 speakers died, factory radio/CD broke twice, all fixed under warranty. I still love the car & would recommend it.

Road handling & performance, and safety.

VW get better with electrical stuff.