2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2003 and STILL kickin'
By oldvolkshome on 08/16/11 14:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my 2003 1.8T Jetta 5-speed new. Aside from a new water pump at 60k miles (normal) and a faulty coil over arc this car is the best car I have ever owned. It is now 2011 and have 100k miles with original brake pads and original clutch and trans. The car runs beautifully.. It helps A LOT if you drive your car gently and DON'T "over tach" and screech your tires! When it comes to having a good or bad car, it's a 50/50 thing. Just getting lucky and picking a good one combined with how you drive it and maintain it. I highly recommend using synthetic oil. I have used Mobil 1 from day one and my motor doesn't burn a DROP of oil 100k miles later. Love your car & it will love you back!!

Overall College Car
By ryan57us2009 on 01/29/09 13:38 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Jetta for almost two years. I tried to drift once but I forgot I had a FWD so I smashed a curb costing me 2,500 $!!! I love switching into step-tronic or w/e its called to give that extra kick of acceleration. Great on gas but It is a girl car so society says but w/e. Really interesting bass in the car too! never thought my Jetta would be bumping bass that good.

Do not buy VW unless made in Germany
By unhappy on 12/31/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VW are not made like they used to be, and until they do, do not keep one for more than warranty period. I grew up with my parents owning a beetle, Vanagon, rabbit, jetta, and all lasting 10 years plus with no issues. I bought a '00 jetta, kept until 45k miles and sold it to my sister, and that's when everything started failing. I bought a '03 jetta in '02; has 65k miles (fine until 50k miles when the warranty expired). Have spent $4k in past year in repairs. The electrical system is horrible! Factory radio died, temperature control module died, radiator fan and auxiliary fan failed, catalytic converter died, coolant leak, ignition coil problem, now my car won't start. Can't wait to see why.

More trouble then it's worth
By Brittany on 11/13/08 10:23 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Since I have had the car we have had to replace the water pump, put a new turbo in, thermostat, replace the timing belt (but that is standard maintenance), put 4 new coils in, replace one brake bec it was sparking, and this is all in a year and a half and around 80,000 miles. I have been in and out of VW so much they know me by my first name. Not to mention the money we have had to shell out for. I have had my car towed three times this year to VW. When it's not in the shop, it's a blast to drive but it's not worth the money.

I hate my jetta!
By Irrate on 08/05/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

There is not enough room to write everything I hate about this car. I have had nothing but problems with this car from day 1. I've had problems w/ the shifting, replaced a cracked tri-pod ball joint replaced the coolant system, and now I have to replace the timing belt and valves, not to mention all the other minor problems I have had too. The VW dealership is as terrible as their car. I would NEVER recommend a VW to anyone! I am now the irate owner of a very heavy/expensive paper weight. My VW Jetta is worthless. Worst car ever!

I regret buying my Jetta
By Christina on 07/19/08 07:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Upon initially purchasing my Jetta there were no problems. But by the winter, it started giving me problems and hasn't stopped since. The only major problem that I have encountered is that gear sticks. When I say stick I mean, will not shift into Reverse or Drive until it feels ready, which could be 5 or 65 minutes. Taken it to the dealership 7 times and they cant figure out what it but assume its the brake light switch. So they keep replacing that. I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone unless you have a very good warranty.

My Sporty Jetta
By Louis Rocah on 10/25/06 09:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GL is surprisingly sporty, nimble, and has plenty of power,

Can't Wait to Get Rid of My Jetta
By Carrie2 on 08/13/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Jetta in June of this year. I have nothing but problems with the car. It has been at the dealer for service four to five times already because the fuel pump continues to run for 25-30 minutes after the car is shut off. The techs keep asking me to bring it back in so they can look at for 2-3 weeks. Yeah right, not after it has gone there 4-5 times and still a problem after 2 MONTHTS. I have brought it to 2 different VW service departments and I was told that I was out of my mind and that the car is safe. Yeah right. I can not wait to get it out of here!

Nothing but Problems
By Nothing but problems on 08/09/06 13:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in 2003. For the first two years, I loved it. Then, about a year ago, I started having problems. First, something started leaking. My warranty covered it. Then I broke down on a major road and had to get towed. The warranty also covered this. My car has stalled and I had to get towed (not covered), my air conditioning had to be recharged (not covered), then it had a leak (covered), my passenger side door stopped working (covered), etc. I would not recommend ever purchasing a used version of this car...it has too many problems.

zeke
By zeljko Brkic on 06/27/06 17:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The '03 Volkswagen Jetta GL is a great little car. It's fun to drive with great gas mileage.