2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

Can't afford to get rid of it.
By 3livsn88 on 09/03/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My family of 5 has outgrown our Jetta TDI but every time we look at buying something bigger we can't afford to lose the Jetta. We bought this car when it was 2 yrs old with 55,000mi on it. We have since put 55,000 mi on it in less than 3 years. We love the exterior styling, we love everything about the interior except the cup holders, although the AC vents do keep your drinks cool forget doing anything with the radio. What we like best is that it's just plain fun to drive. My wife's car is an '06 Pontiac G6 GT and it's fun, but we still find ourselves fighting over driving the diesel. If you get a TDI make sure it's a manual, the auto is a little sluggish off the line.

Great car
By Michael on 06/25/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Just plain awesome, the diesel gets 37- 47mpg, and is very powerful uphill.

Fuel Friendly
By K2az on 08/29/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car for the fuel mileage. When I compared it to other fuel savvy cars this by far looked and handled the best. It might not win any races off the line, but in an endurance race it would blow them away. It's very fun to drive and it looks sophisticated, unlike other gas mileage vehicles. My only complaint is they could've used better materials on the interior, and bigger cup holders. I don't know what kind of drinks europeans use but most american cups are bigger than a soda can.

Love the Mileage
By C-Bird on 04/21/06 16:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this car. I am routinely getting 44 mpg in all-around driving, and have exceeded 50 mpg twice on highway driving. The manual transmission version is a must... when I test-drove the automatic it was a slug. I had a problem with the driver's side seat heater, which subsequently became a recall. One of the instrument panel lights doesn't work. Aside from that, the Jetta has been flawless. At 550-620 miles per tank, you can pass gas stations a whole lot!

Good Overall, Some Problems
By Dave Nadeau on 04/08/06 05:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just turned 80,000 miles on my Jetta TDI. Overall, I've been very happy. The mileage is unbeatable, and the turbo works wonders in the mountains here in Colorado. Some of the other owners' comments are well taken however. My suspension squeaks. Part of my panel lights are intermittent. The suspension is too soft, which means poor ground clearance, which means the plastic under the oil pan eventually gets beat up. The passenger side door handle requires two pulls to open. Other than those issues, the car has performed quite well, with minimal maintenance.

Feel Cheated
By Nora on 04/03/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The mantra at the time of purchase was reliability. Now the mantra is how expensive maintainance will be to keep it from breaking down (again). My car has only 36,000 km on it, it has cost me a fortune in preventative maintainance and still broke down leaving me stranded about 600 miles from home (ERG valve). Dealerships have a monopoly and once you purchase they are free to charge you what ever they want if you want to keep your warranty. I do not feel confident driving distances after authorized service technicians have warned me of potential breakdowns. I will never buy VW again.

Biodiesel '03 TDI
By Eric J on 01/11/06 23:19 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought an '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 60,000 miles on it. I drove it home, changed the fuel filter and oil and filled up with 100% ASTM certified biodiesel. Now we get avg. 47 mpg hwy and run on domestically produced renewable fuel! The 177 ft lbs. of torque gives this car all the muscle anyone needs to cruise at 70 and have a good time on the road.

Now I Know
By Shirley on 05/19/05 05:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this vehicle from a friend who leased it. Couldn't figure out why she was getting rid of a new sharp car. Now I know, it is falling apart. Brake wires underneath car are a hazard. The shocks squeak and It sounds like a transfer truck when you crank it. Grear shift stuckin park now its broke and nothing keeps it from slipping out of gear. Last but not least the air bag light keeps coming on faulty. That has been fixed twice. Not to mention two wrecks and no deployment?

TDI
By GWJ on 12/12/04 16:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car that averages close to 50 mpg. Could be easier to work on simply things like headlights.