Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

Air in the summer, heated leather seats in the winter. Love the sun roof too.

The front center armrest covers up the cup holders. A little inconvenient.

Can't afford to get rid of it.
By 3livsn88

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My family of 5 has outgrown our Jetta TDI but every time we look at buying something bigger we can't afford to lose the Jetta. We bought this car when it was 2 yrs old with 55,000mi on it. We have since put 55,000 mi on it in less than 3 years. We love the exterior styling, we love everything about the interior except the cup holders, although the AC vents do keep your drinks cool forget doing anything with the radio. What we like best is that it's just plain fun to drive. My wife's car is an '06 Pontiac G6 GT and it's fun, but we still find ourselves fighting over driving the diesel. If you get a TDI make sure it's a manual, the auto is a little sluggish off the line.

55 Miles Per Gallon! Just think about it your blowing the doors off of hybrids, economy wise, and your driving a fun little 4 door sports car. Excellent handling. Huge trunk for a small car. The average engine life is over 300,000 miles. As Road & Track would say, the "gotta have it factor".

Cup holders, Cup holders, Cup holders! Interior quality. Granted we have over 110,000mi on it, but the rubberized texture on the console and door handles is coming off. We have had a few other repairs (alternator, ECT sensor, Timing belt) but nothing I wouldn't expect in a vehicle with this mileage.

Great car
By Michael

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Just plain awesome, the diesel gets 37- 47mpg, and is very powerful uphill.

Moonroof, Stereo CD system.

Ummm, make more of these great cars?

Fuel Friendly
By K2az

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car for the fuel mileage. When I compared it to other fuel savvy cars this by far looked and handled the best. It might not win any races off the line, but in an endurance race it would blow them away. It's very fun to drive and it looks sophisticated, unlike other gas mileage vehicles. My only complaint is they could've used better materials on the interior, and bigger cup holders. I don't know what kind of drinks europeans use but most american cups are bigger than a soda can.

Fuel mileage! I average over 500mi on 1 tank of fuel. Once drove from Salt Lake City to Vegas to Phoenix and had just under an 1/8th of a tank left, over 57mi/gal. Exterior design and quality are great too. I have 95,000 mi on my Jetta and it still looks relatively new.

Better quality interior. The rubber coating is peeling off around the center console and headlight switch, places you touch often. And bigger cupholders.

Love the Mileage
By C-Bird

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this car. I am routinely getting 44 mpg in all-around driving, and have exceeded 50 mpg twice on highway driving. The manual transmission version is a must... when I test-drove the automatic it was a slug. I had a problem with the driver's side seat heater, which subsequently became a recall. One of the instrument panel lights doesn't work. Aside from that, the Jetta has been flawless. At 550-620 miles per tank, you can pass gas stations a whole lot!

The outstanding fuel economy is key. this car handles really well for its price. It is quite responsive. Its brakes are very good. With snow tires, this car will not get stuck in the winter, and even the stock all-season radials are pretty good.

Move the cupholder, it gets in the way of the radio.