Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

So far so good :)
By klockworks

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this car not that long ago for school and its pretty fun to drive so far I've had no problems with it, the clutch is smooth and so are the gears on it. Its a really good buy i would recommend this car if it's your first time buying a car or want a smooth car that's good on gas!

Favorite Features

I love the system on it and the gauges on the dash. The gears and clutch are really good as well there's a lot to love about the car! :)

Suggested Improvements

Make a little more room in the back seats and move the cup holders please.

NO NOT BUY A VW JETTA DIESEL
By James

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I thought getting 45 city, 55 HWY would save me a lot of money. I have 2 Jettas, 2001 & 2003, and they break down all the time. To replace a radiator fan is $550. It take 2.4-2.6 hours of labor + the fan is over $200. The car feeds the exhaust back into itself, which takes maintenance. Recently, log a lot of power, would only go 60mph, had to replace a air control sensor, $180+ new, just a 4 inch pipe with a sensor in it, parts are very high. If you pull up to close to a concrete parking bumper, it will go under the car and pull your bumper facing out. The oil dip stick going into a plastic pipe, designed to break after heating/cooling, $20, and when it breaks, the plastic could go engin

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, controls.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse engineer a Honda or Toyota. I bought a honda CRX 1989 new and drove it for 16 years. I had this jetta for 3 years and it is one problem after another. I think they designed it to break down so you would have to pay their dealerships to fix it.

03' jetta
By troy

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased as used in 08' with 65000 miles, now has 95000. Love the drive and especially the handling. The problem is a harsh shift from third to forth ( auto trans) and have spent $1500 on a valve body R & R with no help. No codes in computer and not sure what to do now. For those who do their own maintenance, VW uses there own fluids and you cannot go to the local auto parts store and buy oil trans fluid etc, and they tend to be spendy at the dealer. The 100000 mile timing belt R & R is $+-$1000 at the dealer. Frustrated vw owner.

Favorite Features

steering/handling

Suggested Improvements

Transmission ( the 01M one) in mine

German Performance and Wfficiency
By Valikyte

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used with 33,000 miles. So far I have not had any major issue and have been very satisfied with the economy. I knew it wasn't a large vehicle when I purchased it, so I can't complain that my 6'2'' figure is somewhat cramped on any trip longer than two hours. I realistically get about 42 mpg highway and 40 city. It is always satisfying to get 500+ miles to a tank and every once in a while put in a tank of biodiesel. My only complaint is that at 38,000 miles it developed a creak in the suspension that only presented itself after I had driven for a while. It did not affect the performance of the suspension, but did annoy me a little.

Favorite Features

I like the simplicity of the cruise control and the placement of the radio buttons. The instrument lights are always impressive at night as well.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing they didn't improve upon in the new model.

Love It or Hate It
By adhemar

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After changing the 15 inch rims and tires with 17 inch all season performance Falken tires, this car can corner fast and not miss a beat. It has incredible handling, even without the sport suspension. It could use a little more power, but then again if it had more power God knows if it would stay on the road. I wish would have gotten the GLI VRS or GLS 1.8T. After 4 years though I'm going for the EOS in May 2007.

Favorite Features

The handling, sound system, and dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the cup holder.