2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Needed at least one review for diesel
By rcplaneman16 on 04/11/14 12:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Looked through some of the reviews and noticed not one for a diesel and everyone main complaint being MPG. Well just wanted to state that the TDI Wagon for my family has reliably gets 35-38 mpg depending how one drives on the highway and has had no major problems for 225k miles. Only things replaced was 2 alternators, original died and its replacement died while under warranty and had to clean the carbon out once so far out of the engine. everything about driving is like the gasoline that everyone has talked about.

You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

So far so good :)
By klockworks on 08/20/10 01:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this car not that long ago for school and its pretty fun to drive so far I've had no problems with it, the clutch is smooth and so are the gears on it. Its a really good buy i would recommend this car if it's your first time buying a car or want a smooth car that's good on gas!

250k Mile Review
By bluebirdfan on 08/06/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Original owner of a great commuter car. Have had no major problems mechanically. Still get 44 mpg overall with 80/20 hwy/city. Ride and drive a re still surprisingly good despite having 250,000 miles. Bought the car to be able to haul cargo and get good gas mileage after using a 1/2 ton truck. Still on original clutch, brakes, transmission, etc. Very impressed with the car overall and would not hesitate to buy again when this one dies.

Reliable and still love it
By ADub on 08/29/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased this car new in summer 2003 with the intention to keep it a very long time. Now has 105k miles. Stayed on top of recommended maintenance and have only had to replace a glow plug at a dealer for $130 and a sensor, possibly for water temp, for $140 at a trusted auto shop. That's it! I recommend finding a shop with a former VW tech or someone with TDI knowledge for maintenance and repairs. Mileage is still outstanding at around 50 mpg highway and 44 city.

NO NOT BUY A VW JETTA DIESEL
By James on 07/22/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I thought getting 45 city, 55 HWY would save me a lot of money. I have 2 Jettas, 2001 & 2003, and they break down all the time. To replace a radiator fan is $550. It take 2.4-2.6 hours of labor + the fan is over $200. The car feeds the exhaust back into itself, which takes maintenance. Recently, log a lot of power, would only go 60mph, had to replace a air control sensor, $180+ new, just a 4 inch pipe with a sensor in it, parts are very high. If you pull up to close to a concrete parking bumper, it will go under the car and pull your bumper facing out. The oil dip stick going into a plastic pipe, designed to break after heating/cooling, $20, and when it breaks, the plastic could go engin

03' jetta
By troy on 04/17/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased as used in 08' with 65000 miles, now has 95000. Love the drive and especially the handling. The problem is a harsh shift from third to forth ( auto trans) and have spent $1500 on a valve body R & R with no help. No codes in computer and not sure what to do now. For those who do their own maintenance, VW uses there own fluids and you cannot go to the local auto parts store and buy oil trans fluid etc, and they tend to be spendy at the dealer. The 100000 mile timing belt R & R is $+-$1000 at the dealer. Frustrated vw owner.

Can't afford to get rid of it.
By 3livsn88 on 09/03/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My family of 5 has outgrown our Jetta TDI but every time we look at buying something bigger we can't afford to lose the Jetta. We bought this car when it was 2 yrs old with 55,000mi on it. We have since put 55,000 mi on it in less than 3 years. We love the exterior styling, we love everything about the interior except the cup holders, although the AC vents do keep your drinks cool forget doing anything with the radio. What we like best is that it's just plain fun to drive. My wife's car is an '06 Pontiac G6 GT and it's fun, but we still find ourselves fighting over driving the diesel. If you get a TDI make sure it's a manual, the auto is a little sluggish off the line.

Great car
By Michael on 06/25/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Just plain awesome, the diesel gets 37- 47mpg, and is very powerful uphill.

Diesels Yes, Gasoline No
By irwin on 06/16/08 13:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have 73,000 miles on the car and have had no maintenance needed other than the standard periodic checkups and oil changes. I have better than 50 mpg'total (I have not added it up since 50K but at that time it averaged 50.83). I have own 5 V.W. diesels and put on nearly 150K on three at 10, 12 and 17 years old. I would stay away from the gas version of the cars but I intend to keep this one and would purchase a diesel again.