2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Won't buy another car until this one EXPLODES!
By bradspunky06 on 04/07/14 21:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this 2003 VW Jetta, since 2006, bought w/23788 miles. It now has 196483 miles, still on its original clutch, its fifth set of tires. The first set went via burning rubber on launches for the first 20k of my ownership. If any portion of this car has a problem it would be caused by my abuse. I've only replaced the timing belt twice, and its still good as new. Interior is still as new except driver side entrance bolster. The engine has only gotten better and the transmission easier to shift. This car is miles of smiles for the dollar, and should be tops on your list. 31 mpg on long drives, 25-27.3 in town avg. Keep tire pressures all around at 4 lbs under max, for best handling!

Constant expensive repairs, but fun to drive when working.
By rocketknight on 07/15/13 09:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive. Too expensive to own! Breaks often, all unusual problems, always over $1K to repair. Engine design is terrible! Water pump broke at 32K miles/4yrs. 2/3 of transmission needed replaced at 100K from the plastic hydraulics reservoir bursting. Plastic parts throughout engine are designed to last <10 years. An engine fuse didn't burst when shorted causing a small engine fire. Plastic parts break when removing to get to broken parts. Metal fuel lines bolted over plastic coolant parts with no line flex make DIY very difficult. Most parts can only be obtained through dealers. Aftermarket parts cause check engine light to be constantly on, only solution is dealer parts @>2-3x cost. ETC.

Overall, love it.....but...
By dihardvdubber on 05/07/09 10:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was my pride and joy until some jerk ran a stop light and put her out of commission. Sad day, indeed. I'd warn anyone against buying used. Can only assume every other moron out there drove the crap out of this car like I did. I mean, if the speedo says 160, shouldn't you make sure it's legit?

VW saved my life
By Cayla on 10/26/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car!It saved my life! I will always trust this car. I flipped my jetta 6 times going over 100 miles an hour and was ejected from the car because I wasnt wearing my seatbelt. I pretty much walked away. I only have a broken arm and cracked my back from the ejection. No cuts or anything. The window air bags protected me from glass and other objects. I would have uploaded the picture to prove it but theres no up load for pictures. Anyway, if you're going to get a car get a VW. The best car ever:) promise!

great buy
By love my JETTA on 03/13/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I enjoy every moment in my Jetta, it is fun and has been very reliable. I have 70k miles on it and have not had one problem.

Drives Great...When Not in the Shop
By tony on 09/23/06 12:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I like the way this car drives, but even though the engine works fine, everything else is breaking. My car has a cracked sunroof frame, problems with its door locks, and water is leaking into it, etc... My car has had more waranty work done on it than all my other cars combined, after only three years (I bought it new). I am ready to get rid of it before the waranty expires.

VW Stinks
By McKenzie on 08/16/06 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lemon Alert! This car is a great, fast, sexy model, but its mechanical reliability is horrible. VW has a serious problem with premature clutch blowouts at less than 50,000 miles. $2,000 later I have to sell the car because of a problem they say is my fault. As an experianced manual driver, this is more than an insult. This is a sham. VW of America is a racket! At 47,000 miles a clutch should not blow out! Every mechanic I spoke to has told me that even if I was a cluch rider, this should not have happened. This is not an isolated incident. Google "vw clutch failure" and you will get thousands of reports from VW owners for the same premature blowout. This is the last VW I will ever own...

Great Value
By Bob on 06/10/06 13:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Jetta Wolfsburg with 9,000 miles on it, and couldn't have gotten a better deal. It has a great interior and quiet ride all coupled with V6-like performance and the whine of the turbo. There's nothing like rolling the windows down and listening to the 150,000 RPM turbocharger work. I might just keep this car forever!

Love the car, but it has some flaws....
By WolfsburgGuy on 03/02/06 14:37 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After three years with my 2000 1.8T Jetta, I eagerly climbed into my 2003 'Reflex Silver' Wolfsburg Edition Jetta with 16" BBS wheels. The car is TIGHT, instantly responsive and predictable, therefore safe in the way it handles. ESP has gotten me out of many tough situations on wet Florida roads. The ABS brakes work perfectly, maintaining driver control of the car. This edition of Jetta seems to have more 'turbo lag' than my 2000. Still it is very quick off the line, gobbling premium fuel, and glides down the highway like it's on 'rails' at expressway speeds! It has a very precise road feel and is fun to drive!

Stressless
By Sherbs on 12/14/05 02:24 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg for a little over two years, and have enjoyed every minute I've spent in this car. It gets awesome gas milage in city and highway driving, speed, preformance, its all there. My car's reliability came into question when I discovered 35% of the parts for my car were assembled in Mexico and ~25% in the U.S. But, I'm happy to say that nothing other than the breaks, a burned out tape deck (lovin' the Monsoon stereo too much) and the occational oil change have put me back at the dealer.