Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Won't buy another car until this one EXPLODES!
By bradspunky06

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this 2003 VW Jetta, since 2006, bought w/23788 miles. It now has 196483 miles, still on its original clutch, its fifth set of tires. The first set went via burning rubber on launches for the first 20k of my ownership. If any portion of this car has a problem it would be caused by my abuse. I've only replaced the timing belt twice, and its still good as new. Interior is still as new except driver side entrance bolster. The engine has only gotten better and the transmission easier to shift. This car is miles of smiles for the dollar, and should be tops on your list. 31 mpg on long drives, 25-27.3 in town avg. Keep tire pressures all around at 4 lbs under max, for best handling!

Updated 4/12/16 car has 231600 miles, still on original clutch, and turbo. The mileage is now between 21 and 26 depending on how I drive, but no smoke, a bit of oil burning, interior looks fantastic except bolster on driver left side of seat. Best purchase ever, love this car, handles like a dream, best tire for this car is a Cintinauro P7 Pirelli, check the tire rack for proof. You'll be like where has this tire been all my life?! Just replaced the speed sensor, it corrected a stalling issue, poor mileage, and a lack of power, all with one part. Best 527.00 I've spent, first dealer experience, and certainly won't be the last. I am still in love with my Yetta Jetta, and as I initially said, I'll drive it up til it pops. When it does, you'll be the first to know.

Constant expensive repairs
By rocketknight

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive. Too expensive to own! Breaks often, all unusual problems, always over $1K to repair. Engine design is terrible! Water pump broke at 32K miles/4yrs. 2/3 of transmission needed replaced at 100K from the plastic hydraulics reservoir bursting. Plastic parts throughout engine are designed to last <10 years. An engine fuse didn't burst when shorted causing a small engine fire. Plastic parts break when removing to get to broken parts. Metal fuel lines bolted over plastic coolant parts with no line flex make DIY very difficult. Most parts can only be obtained through dealers. Aftermarket parts cause check engine light to be constantly on, only solution is dealer parts @>2-3x cost. ETC. Worth of vehicle always less than repair costs.

Overall, love it.....but...
By dihardvdubber

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was my pride and joy until some jerk ran a stop light and put her out of commission. Sad day, indeed. I'd warn anyone against buying used. Can only assume every other moron out there drove the crap out of this car like I did. I mean, if the speedo says 160, shouldn't you make sure it's legit?

Triptronic. Without a doubt. All the fun of a manual shift, but on demand. And the style is hoppin'.

The lack of an armrest got old fast. And the protective coating on interior finishes rubbed off in less than a year. Lastly, the grill is brittle. Hit a bird -- a freaking bird! -- and it cracked.

VW saved my life
By Cayla

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car!It saved my life! I will always trust this car. I flipped my jetta 6 times going over 100 miles an hour and was ejected from the car because I wasnt wearing my seatbelt. I pretty much walked away. I only have a broken arm and cracked my back from the ejection. No cuts or anything. The window air bags protected me from glass and other objects. I would have uploaded the picture to prove it but theres no up load for pictures. Anyway, if you're going to get a car get a VW. The best car ever:) promise!

great buy
By love my JETTA

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I enjoy every moment in my Jetta, it is fun and has been very reliable. I have 70k miles on it and have not had one problem.

It is simple, not too many buttons that you never use. Love the blue lights.

The knobs and handles are the absolute worst!! They peel off everywhere, my husband had a Passat and the same thing happened, such a let down.