Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

i love my GLI
By tankman29

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2003 Jetta GLI and i love it. no one expected my car to be fast because it is vw and o boy where they wrong. i took the limiter of the car and have gone up to 150mph... Great car and a lot of fun. the only thing that i don't like is that the car needs more power. It has 200 hp but i will have it turoed by the end of the year and will be putting down 475hp at the wheels. I would say that it is a great car because i have been in an accident in my old Jetta were it rolled end over end and i had only a broken finger because my hand hit the roof so other then that it is a great car.

The best thing about this car is the safety... And i mean that 100%

MORE POWER... ABOUT 70 MORE HP AT MIN

Fun to drive
By Danburry

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car new. I have loved every minute of it. The stereo is great! Overall It is a great car. So fun to drive in twisty roads. 6 speed manual makes all the difference.

6 speed manual transmission, sun roof, heated seats and stereo.

The arm rest.

It's a Good Car
By DJ Arrington

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

When I first bought this car I loved... Love the vr6 with the 6-speed Manuel, its a really comfortable car... But I wish I wouldn't have bought it... Its a great car but I'm not a car person... I had a 2000 pathfinder that I traded in and I really miss the utility... I have had the jetta for almost 2 years and I miss having a ton of room on the inside... Thats my only complaint... It's a great car to just roll down the Windows open the sunroof and crank up the radio and just drive... Perfect weekend car...

I love the dashboard color at night... And the switchblade key/remote combo, only have to keep up with one thing for the car... Monsoon radio is amazing... The boxy sporty exterior

Bigger interior which was addressed in 2005.5 but I hate that model... Way to like a corolla on the outside for me.... Make them just a little more reliable. My car hates the cold weather which is good living in Mississippi but it does get cold in December- February and the car doesn't like a ms winter

A Good Choice After All
By a.ferrari

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This Is my first car purchased for me by my father. We went to Westloop Mitsubishi looking to buy a 2008 Lancer like my sisters but when I saw this I was whoa! I was surprised that my father had any interest in it but he did. We test drove and he loved it. It being a standard was the only set back. I knew how to drive standard but it had been a while. The salesman told us that it was a 1.8t but it said GLI. Not really knowing the difference we were okay with it. The problem arose when trying to insure it, the VIN number did not match anything. It turned out to be a VR6 shock made my insurance more than double. I have to pay for insurance but this car is definitely worth it.

The acceleration especially. The sunroof dial, the key hole that opperates the windows from outside. I love the heated leather seats also. The build quality is outstanding, everything is tight, no gaps. I also enjoy the colors of the instrument gauges. My favorite feature of all is the the key fob.

Pointless ,out of production. But oh well. Occasionally the car will get sensitive from a stop and will just shut off and will continue to for the next few times. The rear doors are really long. Its easy to ding the car next to you. Gas mileage isn't great, but what do you expect from a powerful V6?

Wow, just wow.
By Q

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Only recently purchased used but love it, Love It, LOVE IT. It just positively screams. Car was a dealer loaner for the past 5 years, only 42k miles so at least I know the maintenance is current. I do feel like the interior is a bit small, but it's a tiny price to pay for the performance and styling. Most people say get the leather but I like cloth just fine. It's scary how quiet it is also. The great part is, yeah, it takes 93 octane but who care about an extra 20 cents per when gas is $4 per gallon anyway and still gets really good mileage? Stereo is great, handling is tight. That the gearing is so close together it's a bit to get used to but fun as hell off the mark.

Handling, and Get Up And Go. It's like being on rails. Interior, albeit small, is very comfy. Love the dash lite'n. 17" alloys are fabulous, a little on the overkill side but look great. Stereo rocks out (need a mini-audio jack now in 2008). Trunk space is wunderbar.

I agree with others, the 16" spare is a cop out. If VW's going to put a full sized spare, then do it. Coffee cup holder placement, duh. Why? Can't swap music AND take a chance on wetting the stereo. GG VW. The back seats are great for midgets. 3 people will fit in the back if 2 are imaginary.