2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Mostly Reliable
By JHozer on 10/17/09 04:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Jetta new in 2003. It has been a reliable commuter except for the usual VW problems. Replaced the plastic water pump at 75,000 miles. Also, the computer is very sensitive. Check engine light pops up occasionally. Changed mass air flow sensor twice, O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor three times. On the bright side, the Jetta is a smooth ride with a very comfortable interior. Love the heated leather seats! Still getting 32mpg on the highway after 6 years.

mydub
By dubman on 10/06/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

owning this 03 jetta has been wonderful and my kids love the car as well.Plus it being a 5 speed,makes it more fun to drive.The only thing that i would change is the location of the cup holders.When your on the freeway and your driving this vehicle you could be doing 80 miles an hour and not even know it.

Reliable, Comfortable
By Hozer on 06/17/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in 2003 and am about to turn 100,000 miles. Still getting 32mpg on the highway. Very comfortable car for the size. Only problems are the plastic water pump (replaced at 70k) and a touchy check engine light.

Solid car - but reliability?
By niteflite on 02/20/09 19:05 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The ride has been solid during my 6+ years of ownership. It's not the world's fastest car, but it's good enough. Fuel efficiency should be better on such a small engine and body, but I guess it weighs a lot. The car has been to the dealer a couple of times for recalls. One was a ridiculous one - the faulty brake light switch prevented me from being able to shift into reverse. Now there's a tech service bulletin that is not a recall - I have a check engine light on for some cooling sensor problem that will cost me some $100 to get replaced. Hopefully that will be it. The brakes are screeching like crazy in the back. When I took it into the mechanic they said it's fine.

Cool Car-Mechanically unreliable
By SM on 01/26/09 16:13 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the Jetta was fun, but I found that it was the mechanical issues that bugged me. I bought this car with 36k miles on it. I had no problems for 5k-10k miles then everything went. I had to replace the sway bars, because they rusted, I had to get new front brakes and that cost $615 bucks =0( It also won't start when its 0 degrees or lower. I took it in 4 times and the dealership had no idea what was wrong. My battery was checked and was fine, everything was fine they told me. But it wasn't. I jumped ship and got a Scion TC. I love it and it starts in frigid temps. I loved this car, but hated the fact that it was mechanically garbage!

Bittersweet!
By RLomeli on 11/17/08 10:23 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my jetta in oct of 07. Ive had to replace a cooling sensor water pump radiator hose and thermostat. I commute 60 miles daily so it doesnt surprise me that ive done this. I wish I had gotten the 1.8t for the horse power but that gets me in trouble. I am overall happy with the car to this point. I firmly believe if you take care of it it will take care of you. Oooo my radio stopped working but I was thinking of purchasing something different anyway. This is as I like to call it a cheap luxury car..... This is as close as I'm gonna get to a BMW or Mercedes so yes I love it. And VW has a history of being diff which I like.

Hate It!
By HMS on 08/02/08 21:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a Jetta for about 10 years and finally purchased one in 2003. I did this despite all the bad reviews and advice of others. I'm sorry to say that the car has been nothing but problems. Not only did I have to take it in numerous times to get it repaired under warranty, since the warranty's expired, I have sunk thousands into this car. I owned a used car that was 14 years old and only had to get a major repair done once. You name the part, it's been repaired in the Jetta: catalytic converter, cv joint, air conditioning, windows, radio, seat, armrest, swaybush, etc. I will never buy a VW again. They will try and say "this year's model is better" but it's not. Don't do it.

Great Car
By Adrian on 06/15/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far my driving experience has been awesome. The Jetta has passed every one of my expectations.

Where does my oil go?
By shawndugan on 03/22/07 07:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta is a beautiful car to behold, but under the hood is a different story. I purchased the car with 40,000 miles on it, so I understand that not everything is going to be perfect, but this is unbelievable. In the first thousand miles it drank 3 quarts of oil. I went to the dealer and the tech there told me that it is acceptable for the car to burn a quart every thousand miles. What? I am very unhappy and he tells me that they stopped making that engine 2.0 L because of the problem. I bought the car to avoid things like this and now for the next 6 years I have to check my oil every time I fill up. I wish someone would have told me, so I`m telling you, don`t buy this car!

The Jetta
By jeany on 11/07/06 20:12 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little car. I drive over 65 miles one way to work and the gas mileage has been awesome. I think the car is really classy. This is the first time I have ever owned a VW and I would buy another.