2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So far so good :)
By klockworks on 08/20/10 01:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this car not that long ago for school and its pretty fun to drive so far I've had no problems with it, the clutch is smooth and so are the gears on it. Its a really good buy i would recommend this car if it's your first time buying a car or want a smooth car that's good on gas!

NO NOT BUY A VW JETTA DIESEL
By James on 07/22/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I thought getting 45 city, 55 HWY would save me a lot of money. I have 2 Jettas, 2001 & 2003, and they break down all the time. To replace a radiator fan is $550. It take 2.4-2.6 hours of labor + the fan is over $200. The car feeds the exhaust back into itself, which takes maintenance. Recently, log a lot of power, would only go 60mph, had to replace a air control sensor, $180+ new, just a 4 inch pipe with a sensor in it, parts are very high. If you pull up to close to a concrete parking bumper, it will go under the car and pull your bumper facing out. The oil dip stick going into a plastic pipe, designed to break after heating/cooling, $20, and when it breaks, the plastic could go engin

03' jetta
By troy on 04/17/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased as used in 08' with 65000 miles, now has 95000. Love the drive and especially the handling. The problem is a harsh shift from third to forth ( auto trans) and have spent $1500 on a valve body R & R with no help. No codes in computer and not sure what to do now. For those who do their own maintenance, VW uses there own fluids and you cannot go to the local auto parts store and buy oil trans fluid etc, and they tend to be spendy at the dealer. The 100000 mile timing belt R & R is $+-$1000 at the dealer. Frustrated vw owner.

German Performance and Wfficiency
By Valikyte on 07/25/06 06:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used with 33,000 miles. So far I have not had any major issue and have been very satisfied with the economy. I knew it wasn't a large vehicle when I purchased it, so I can't complain that my 6'2'' figure is somewhat cramped on any trip longer than two hours. I realistically get about 42 mpg highway and 40 city. It is always satisfying to get 500+ miles to a tank and every once in a while put in a tank of biodiesel. My only complaint is that at 38,000 miles it developed a creak in the suspension that only presented itself after I had driven for a while. It did not affect the performance of the suspension, but did annoy me a little.

Love It or Hate It
By adhemar on 07/12/06 18:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After changing the 15 inch rims and tires with 17 inch all season performance Falken tires, this car can corner fast and not miss a beat. It has incredible handling, even without the sport suspension. It could use a little more power, but then again if it had more power God knows if it would stay on the road. I wish would have gotten the GLI VRS or GLS 1.8T. After 4 years though I'm going for the EOS in May 2007.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
By Barry Denesiuk on 06/07/06 17:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

How can you go wrong with the prices of fuel? I get more than 1,000 km (600 miles) per tank and diesel costs 10% less than gas. I sold my '92 Explorer for an '03 VW and I am making money in the process. This was before prices got crazy, my saving are more now. The car is quality throughout, leather heated seats (great for Canada), heated mirrors, huge huge trunk space for clubs and such. The back seats fold down for even more trunk space. She rides like a dream and seems to be made of a heavier gauge steel than most cars.

I Love my OTTO!
By AB on 04/21/06 16:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My '03 Jetta TDI has proven to be the best car-buying decision I will ever make. I've saved every fuel receipt since day 1, and with the 5-speed manual transmission, I get between 38 (a rare low) and 46 mpg, averaging around 43 mpg most of the time. That's around 500 miles per tank. With fuel prices as high as they are, I can't help but brag about having to fill up only once a month! The styling is sporty and classy at the same time. The new body style is boring and disappointing, so I'm glad I bought mine when I did. I frequently enjoy opening the sunroof, and the leather interior and Monsoon sound system keep me riding in near luxury!

Doing It Again
By m&cp on 01/29/06 17:19 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We love our 2003 Jetta so much that we are giving this one to our teenage daughter and are eagerly awaiting for our new special order 2006 Jetta to arrive. We have had problems with our Jetta but no more so than with any other car or truck that we have owned. We have recommended this car to others we know. It is a great product, and we have been getting terrific service. We can't wait to get our new Jetta this spring.

Great Economy car
By firedwg1 on 10/02/05 02:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI is very low maintenace and cheap to own. It gets great fuel milage. It is one of the best alternatives to Hybred Engine power! It has penty of power for long high speed driving. It can do 80 - 90 mph up hills. Plus, I can make a round trip to LA - Vegas on one tank of fuel!

Fun to drive, awful to own
By j palum on 05/11/05 22:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A stone lodged in the brakes, the front grilled chipped from a small stone hitting it on the road, the front drivers side window fell inside the door on a cold day, the car had problems starting if the temperature was below 0 degrees, it also bogged down on the highway if you turned on the air conditioning, the power fuse blew and stranded my wife on the highway, the tires lasted less than 50,000 miles, the torsion bar for the trunk stiffened making it serious exercise to open the trunk, the clip on the armrest cover broke, and the "mag" wheels peeled. It handled well and got good gas mileage, but it wasn't worth the hastle.