2002 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: If you're reading this I alrea

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

If you're reading this I already feel sorry for you.
By katwoj on

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a piece of crap. I have had two VW Jettas that were both maintained well by previous owner. I bought my current one with 87,000 miles on it and it currently has 103,000. In that period of time I have literally purchased the car over again in repairs and went into debt. The only thing I haven't repaired thus far is the transmission, and I have reason to believe that is on its way out. The water pump was replaced before I bought it and yet it went out again at 100,000. Destroyed my engine ($3,000). Also had to get all new axles, tie rods, wheel bearings. Drives jerky, erratic acceleration. Not to mention it smells like a box of nauseating melted crayons. NIGHTMARE. DO NOT BUY.

This car is nice to look at...and that's it. The turbo is fun...until you realize it causes even more problems with the car. The heated leather seats, sun roof, and Monsoon sound system are all nice...until they break. Compared to the appearance of other cars in the early 2000's this car is by far the most attractive, but that only gets you so far down the road LITERALLY.

700 characters will not even allow for me to begin to start listing suggestions on how to improve on this vehicle. Maybe a massive recall of every one in existence on the road? I've heard the newest generation of Jettas aren't as terrible, and VW can't go back in the past and fix the grove of lemons they unleashed to consumers when they designed the MKVI Jetta. After owning two of these vehicles for the past 4 years I can honestly say there have been times where this inanimate object has felt like it was ruining my life. I do not feel safe in these vehicles. Not a month has gone by where there hasn't been a looming issue, check engine light, tow, or trips back to the mechanic.
By monkey801
on 05/29/13 23:41 PM (PDT)

Mine smells like crayons too! Hahaha