2002 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Not bad, but could be better

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Review

Not bad, but could be better
By Roo on

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car because I knew it would lower my insurance and gas bills (coming from SUV) I drive 500 miles a week and my gas bill is $60/month. I have enjoyed my VW a lot, however...Don't park over a parking space bump or curb. I did this 3 separate times (and have finally learned from my mistakes) and it pulled my front bumper off. Just the other day, my passenger side window fell into the wondow pocket and I had to take it to the dealer b/c of a downpour coming. "This happens a lot" the VW rep said. They rigged it, but I have to go back and pay for them to fix it now that I am out of my 25,000 mile warranty.

Gas mileage is superb. Very safe with many airbags. Good pick up for a 4 cylinder. Good speakers if you get Monsoon system. Love the quiet sunroof. Seat pump since I did not get power seats. One touch windows (as long as they stay up).

I wish it was higher off the ground so the bumper would not come off! No mechanical problems yet as others have stated. Extend warranty to 3 years 36,000 miles or more.