Never Buy a VW again
By crewdawg63 on
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
Bought this 5 years ago hoping to get 30 mpg for a long commute to a new job. Had a 1986 Jetta once upon a time that was GREAT, so figured Iíd get another one Ė BIG mistake. Good: Heated seats are warm and cozy in the New England wintertime while waiting for the heater to warm up. Itís small and fits in tiny parking garages well. The 2 rear seat reading lights are awesome for the kiddos Ė they control their own light and it does not create a distracting glare for me. Lots of airbags. Good city car Ė donít care if someone scratches nor dings it anymore. Itís paid for. BAD: Build quality is horrible. Replaced 3 water pumps in the past 3 years-they seem to last just beyond the 12 month warranty, of course. Driving back from a long road trip up the east coast, all 4 brake rotors warped and I just got thru having all 4 brakes replaced (ouch!). The car wash ripped the radio antennae off the top. Dealer wants $1000 to remove/replace the headliner in order to fix. The heater on the driverís side blows air on my shins, so my toes continue to stay frozen no matter how hot the rest of the inside is. The exhaust just cracked behind the manifold, another $700 bill which had to be fixed in order to pass inspection. Now the automatic transmission and clutch is starting to act up, shifting hard and not dropping in to gear without banging on the shift lever. The auto door locks sometimes donít lock or unlock the back doors. The key fob doesnít lock/unlock unless Iím within 3 ft of the car, even after repeated battery replacements. Rust is starting to show on the body, despite my attention to keeping the car clean. Iím going to give this car to my 16 year old son as his project car. If he can keep it running, he has wheels. No matter how I drive and keep the car tuned up, the best I can get out of it is 25 mpg. Iím going to go buy Toyota or Dodge truck. Might as well have a quality built hauler that people will get out of the way of Ė Iím tired of people pulling out in front of me when they see this POS coming.
Favorite Features
Heated seats
Suggested Improvements
Stop building them in Mexico