2002 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Don't Listen to the NaySayers

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

Don't Listen to the NaySayers
By turboDan on

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

In all honesty, I'm surprised. Being a Chevy fan all my life, we bought this car primarily for my wife and I'm actually jealous. Like every other vehicle I've owned, there are it's problems but the dealer has satisfied our every repair and maintenance need and more. Vacuum lines went at 90k and our water pump just went out at 120k. We bought it with 68k. I've done almost all the maintenance myself without difficulty. The engine is super strong for it's size (zips past most vehicles on the freeway) and it's just perfect for a small family like ours. Gas mileage can suffer if you like the gas pedal like me, but we still average 24 mpg. I still have a Chevy, but my next car will be a VW.

Love the heated seats come winter-- handles great in the snow too with the right all-season tires. The engine is immaculate anywhere you go. The factory stereo pounds. To the Germans, I'm sold.

Tiptronic Transmission really isn't useful. The manual shift mode is electronically faulty and really not all the exhilarating or efficient-- it's easier to let the automatic just do it's job (besides, it's rather pricey to get it replaced). 2011 jetta adds more rear legroom--much needed legroom.