Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

bling, but your bnk acct it will clean!
By don't do it

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was fun to drive until the relationship degenerated to the point I cringed ever time I had to start it, fearing something else would break.If I weren't able to complete most repairs myself, I'd probably have spent 5-8k in repairs.All the usual problems—bad ignition coils, 3 radios, window regulators,broken keyfob, multiple wheel bearings (as in 7 or 8 of them), various failed switches, broken glovebox door, broken center console latch (x5) & antenna. In addition, I had 3 airbag system component failures (which I couldn’t fix myself and cost $$$) and a wheel vibration issue that nobody could resolve. I gave up at 79k because I knew the plastic waterpump impeller was on borrowed time

Favorite Features

The fact vwvortex has step by step repair instructions.This saved me thousands--literally. I'm so grateful people take the time to document repair procedures. The blue illuminated dash is a piece of art. The sheet metal body panels are very solid. Good paint job Upmarket look inside and out

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start? Um, reliability? Ever heard of it VW? No wonder VW doesn't have customer loyalty. To add insult to injury, VW dealership repair costs are in the stratosphere--even compared to most other dealers. You would think they would cut you a little slack knowing you will be back.

not so fun to push
By NOLONGERAFAN

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was excited to purchase my third VW. I bought it with 31k on it.. By 70k I was stranded in Boston with a blown engine. VW refused to fix it because it was 5k or so over the powertrain warranty. Sludge problems on them are common yet they have no desire to correct any issue with it. Finally they agreed to give me 1k towards fixing it (which as you know if you own a VW dealeship garage prices are insane .. I was quoted a 6k figure to fix the engine ) in addition to the engine brake lights cont to come on and off, the check engine regardless of anything refuses to go away, and electrical system is poor. Its sad to see that a car that had a solid reputation has decreased in quality so much.

Favorite Features

the moonroof and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

sludge issues..durable engines that last longer than 70k miles

VW WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE
By fred

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I beg anyone reading this to please DO NOT ever buy a VW. This car has caused me so much stress. I will go as far as to say it has ruined my life. Buy this car if you want to cough up about $300- $600 every 3 months for repairs. NOTHING is cheap to fix. I have had this car for 5 years & have spent well over $5000 in repairs. You name it, I've replaced it. Its in the shop AGAIN. I am done with this car. I don't care if I lose money I am going to buy a Toyota or Honda this week. I never thought a car could be such a nightmare. VW customer care was a joke so don't even bother trying to contact them about any problems you may have. They may be cute & fun but they are not reliable at all.

Favorite Features

None. I have had such a horrible experience with this car that there is nothing good to say. It is a waste of money.

Suggested Improvements

AC that works would be nice, or how about a transmission that lasts longer than 60,000 miles. Interior that doesn't peel. Doors that don't leak water inside the car. There isn't enough space for the rest. This list could go on forever.

Haven't had any major issues
By Ryan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been great to me for 7 years. It's fun to drive, get's great gas mileage and I haven't had any major issues. The ignition coil recall several years back was a a bit of a pain (all Jettas and Audi A4s), but they fixed it free and quick. I did have to replace hoses a couple years ago and have had my share of flat tires due to city driving and performance tires, but no real complaints.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine, the heated seats, and the surprisingly large trunk

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the way the seats adjust. Sometimes the sunroof has trouble staying closed and I have to mess with it.

Worst car I ever owned
By upchuda

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you value you wallet, don't purchase this car! I bought this "certified pre-owned car from Osborne Automotive on Colfax. Every piece of the car has had to be replaced including the coolant tank, transmission, gas tank etc. I am so upside in what I owe compared to the $7,437.23 that I have put in it in the last 3 years that I will be paying for the car long after it's dead.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to stop making plastic parts that break!