2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great car but some annoying problems
By Mike on 12/14/07 20:39 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We have had the car about 3 1/2 years. As I read these reviews I see that many of the problems are common to this model car. One was the power window falling in twice. Another was the console/ armrest breaking. Another, and most disturbing was both cooling fans going out. Fortunately all these repairs were covered under warranty. Beyond this the car is a blast to drive, looks great and gets about 28-30 MPG on the hwy. and 23-25 MPG city. I think VW could have done a bit more with quality control. It's a shame that so many people gave this car a poor review based on apparently simple problems. I for one would buy VW again. I've owned many cars that were not as dependable as this one has been.

2002 GLI VR6
By jkv on 11/17/07 17:28 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car practically new from a private party. It had only 28300 miles on it and was in excellent condition. The car was loaded having 17" rims with Michelin high performance tires along with sunroof, premium sound, smoked tail lights, etc. the car is amazing to drive with the sports suspension. Has excellent handling and good performance from the 200hp v6 engine. I'm a very happy man.

Great car!
By Bharat P on 09/13/07 23:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first day I took it out, the window fell in, but that was the only problem. I love this car, it has nice torque and it looks great. I especially love the turbo. The cupholders don't really interfere unless you change CDs frequently.

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Help help help on 08/03/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Many, many, problems with this car. Repairs are often and expensive, most of which only VW can do. Just in the last 15 months, valve body $2600, over heat $440, AC cooling fan $625, new water pump $920. There have been many other issues, rear joint berrings, engine light coming on, cheap plastic on the interior, broken knobs, broken armrest, door handle material peeling off, radio quits and only VW has the special key to replace fuse, greasy insulation oozes from doors. And there were a half dozen recalls in the first couple years, power windows, brakes, etc. The resale on this car is terrible, once the warranty is out it depreciates much faster the other brands.

Terrible Car
By SH in AZ on 07/17/07 17:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First brand new car. Thought VW had an outstanding reputation. I have been in and out of service since I bought the car. Coolant fan kept draining the battery, check engine light on several times, and right before I dumped it, calipers and struts were bad and three of four new tires were cupping. Black looks great in the showroom but is impossible to keep looking nice. Black interior caught every piece of lint and dust creating a constant mess that a professional car detail service could not clean. Interior peels, cup holders are a joke, absolutely no leg room in the back seat, and the trunk latch broke three times. This is just to name a few. No love lost when I traded it 3 days ago.

Great Car
By Blair Kellner on 06/19/07 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has more power than any 4 cylinder engine I have ever driven. The braking system is very responsive. The gas mileage is excellent for all the power you get. Over 30 miles to the gallon on the highway, but gas mileage goes down in the city especially when you use the turbo frequently.

Money Pit
By vwdesign22 on 06/11/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car, or at least I did the day I bought it. I wish I had done a little more research on this make and model before I purchased. I am a young designer just out of school and this car has caused me to go into debt. It was uniformed decision and I have spent well over $7,000 in rapairs on this car. I thought it was a practical and smart choice, yet I have been proven wrong. VW did reimburse me for a mass air flow sensor that was replaced 3 times in a 3 month period. I have had less luck in trying to get a proper diagnosis and repair for my car at a dealership. It seems that they just cant figure out what the problem is, and I just cant seem to aford paying for parts I don't need

Very Disappointed
By Disappointed on 05/30/07 13:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my VW Jetta new in 2001. It's beautiful and fun to drive, but NOT RELIABLE! I have been in the shop many, many times in the almost 6 years I have had it. Electrical problems, power window problems, console and seat breaking easily. The repairs weren't extremely costly, but MANY! It's too bad such a nice and attractive car has been such a pain when it comes to repairs. I am going to trade it in for something else. I am tired of seeing my VW repair guy.

Great Car
By whaler71 on 03/08/07 06:58 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my VW Jetta. It's quick, handles great, and gets good gas mileage. My only major repair was when I replaced the cat converter (the check engine light came on) at 75,000, but VW paid for this. Besides that nothing major has gone wrong in 83,000 miles. Just some small stuff, like the clip on center console broke, the window stuck down at around 20,000 but the dealer fixed it and it has had no problems since. It doesn't burn oil and it still has the original brakes, gotta love a manual tranny.

Great Car!
By Nankov on 01/03/07 16:18 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 2.0L Jetta that currently has 98,000 km. on it. I've had no major problems with it. The car is solid and it handles great. The base engine is actually pretty good, plus it's good on gas! I love driving this car. It has nice looks too! You gotta love VWs.