2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 7

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My new love
By JayBee on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is one great car; how can you argue with 45-50 mpg? It is comfortable, fun to drive and gets me where I want to go with no problems. The dash lights at night are a nice little bonus. The only problem is with the cup holder; it does block some of the audio controls, but on the other hand if the AC is on it keeps your drinks cold. The seats move enough to keep both the shortest and tallest drivers happy. I love the car but would not go to the same dealer again; he charged me about 5K more than he should have.

go go go diesel
By chiefreg1 on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have put 900 miles on in the first 4 days of ownership. First half of tank of fuel got me 47 mpgs and the second half got me 50.5 mpg. Without being broken in I can't wait. Good speed on highway needed to buy radar detector. It seems to like 75 to 85 mph. Vw dealership was easy to work with but would have been nice to see more then a couple of these great cars.

Can't Beat the Mialege
By mutbreath on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car, fun to drive. On the first full tank I got an outstanding 33MPG/city. This car is easy to drive and very comfortable. I am 6'2" and have pleanty of leg/head room. It is quick and responsive with a touch of "frugal" (gas that is).

Awesome Car!
By Daniel P Gale on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never imagined myself in a diesel or a Volkeswagen. Boy have I been missing out! This car is awesome. It is extremely comfortable, a joy to drive and has great gas mileage. People should not be afraid to test drive one of these! What more can you ask for in a car getting 45+ per gallon.

TDi 2002: Good value
By DAC in Hamburg on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We went looking for a mid-sized car with better gas mileage than our SUV (we had 2 4x4's in the driveway). Of all the competitors (according to an Edmund's search), the VW TDi was a surprising option. The turbo diesel in this little 4 cylinder is very surprising. Though not a sport car, the performance is good enough to give the feel and handling of a sport model while still providing a lot of room for a family and the mileage usually limited to a hybrid. Very good buy as well!

UNRELIABLE
By UNHAPPYINHOUST0N on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Sorry warranty....., Transmission engagement switch had to be replaced twice at my own expence, ABS brakes locked up in stop and go traffic, car felt like it was carring a load of bricks. had to replace brake booster after warranty expired,at $900 cost.

Great car - auf vieder sien to fuelpumps
By DnA Diesel on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

What a great car! My wife travels a the mileage is fantastic - 65 mpg(Imp)/55 mpg(US). The ride is great, steering and braking are well balanced and have excellent feel typical of German cars. Rear leg room is a bit cramped, trunk is huge for a "compact", heated seats in winter are a nice but the velour seat material is a pain. It is a magnet for lint. Unless cost is prohibitive, get the leather. The diesel drives well year round - don't listen to what pepole say about stinky, smokey, slow diesels...VWs are not. In the end, the vehicle is a joy to drive and I accept its slightly smaller interior (in the back) because VW had not put a TDI in the Passat.

Not bad, but could be better
By Roo on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car because I knew it would lower my insurance and gas bills (coming from SUV) I drive 500 miles a week and my gas bill is $60/month. I have enjoyed my VW a lot, however...Don't park over a parking space bump or curb. I did this 3 separate times (and have finally learned from my mistakes) and it pulled my front bumper off. Just the other day, my passenger side window fell into the wondow pocket and I had to take it to the dealer b/c of a downpour coming. "This happens a lot" the VW rep said. They rigged it, but I have to go back and pay for them to fix it now that I am out of my 25,000 mile warranty.

This car's for "Drivers".
By MarNChar on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought the car on the 6th of June and took a trip of 2700 miles, returning on the 16th. We drove Interstates 15 and 80, and Hiways 4, 16, 49, 50, 89 from Provo, UT to Murphys, CA; to Sacramento to Sierra City, to Truckee, up to South Lake Tahoe, back to Utah. We got over 500 miles per tank(12 gals. used each fillup); even doing 80 mph with the AC on, loaded with luggage for two and camping gear! Freeways in UT & NEV are 75 mph. On curvy hiways 4, 49, 50, & 89 the car handled like a Ferrari - really fun to drive. The only flaw with this vehicle is the sun visors! They're too short! Otherwise, this car is near perfect for around town driving and long trips.

Love that diesel
By Brian & Candace on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Have only had the car for a couple of weeks, but really like the ride and handling of it. For someone who grew up on a farm and has been around diesel powered vehicals for a while the sound of the turbo winding up from a stop light is pure music.