Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

The best sedan I have ever had...
By santiscbr

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My wife and I currently average 50+ mpg. Need I say more. But I will. The build is incredible. Being a former mechanic, I have never seen so much detail in a sedan of its class. German engineering at its best. I expect, with at least 500000 miles left in the engine, it might, however unlikely, outlast the rest of the car. The cupholders are the only misplaced piece of accessory, as it blocks the radio controls when out, and you have to push it back in to remove a cd.

Favorite Features

I love everything about this vehicle. Its ergonomics are incredible, save for the cupholder. That is how wonderful this car is. The only complaint is that small. Gas mileage is great, and the engine pulls strong and never feels weak.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders. That is it.

Great TDI Economy Car
By Mroto

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We get 47 avg. MPG in combined city/highway driving and 52-53MPG at steady freeway driving speeds. The engine is the best part of the car! Not a slow car by far and comfortable ride for a small car. Only knock is the fit and finish quality of some of the parts. The paint on the interior door handles flaked off for instance and VW does not stand behind this kind of problem, rear seat split on seam and VW also almost balked on this! Outside paint clear coat is peeling in a couple spots. Car itself is solid however so I feel these issues are comparitively minor.

Favorite Features

Heated seats are great! Fuel economy in real world driving is 47MPG, Peppy if not fast pick up. Effortlessly cruises at 75-80 MPH

Suggested Improvements

6th speed manual would be nice as would a little more rear legroom would be nice also. This is a great economy car!

Overall Happy
By Auburn Gal

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was an SUV, Truck person for a long time, but I purchased my Diesel Jetta last November used and I love it. I am in sales, and it gets great mileage. I would definetly suggest anyone looking for a sleek, fun, and sporty car, look into this one.

Favorite Features

I love the interior. It looks expensive, yet I didn't pay an "arm and a leg" for it.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders! I can't access my cd player! Also, my window fell down out of now where the other day. Glad it wasn't raining. But other than that, I love my Diesel Jetta!!

Sad I sold, buying a new one
By golfer18

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned 2 jetta tdis, a 98 and 02. this review is for 02, beautiful car, cool look, exc gas mileage at 53mpg at best, tank range i maxed at 765 then i got nervous and filled up. Loved both cars, but dumped the 02 due to some aesthetic quality issues. I had a door/window rattle that had me take it back to dealer 6 times in a year. Despite ripping car apart, removing seats, etc, damaging the vehicle during repair etc, it was never fixed to satisfaction. I pursued lemon law, but found a buyer in the meantime and sold the car. I miss it though and will likely buy a new jetta 04 or passat 04 turbodiesel only. .

Favorite Features

looks great, sharp design, purple dash lights, switchblade key, fast windows, sunroof, huge trunk, monsoon sound, styling, handling, great pickup for diesel, wheels,antenna, heated seats, seat design and comfort, height adjustable seat.

Suggested Improvements

cupholders suck, more legroom in back seat is a must, cloth interior is like a lint roller and attracts everything

Awesome!!
By CRYER15

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Incredible Car!! I am getting 50 mpg average and I think sometimes better on the highway! I have had it almost two full years with 40k + and have not had even a blip...with the exception of a replaced radio (no big deal) under warranty. Anyone looking for a reliable, fuel efficient, and reasonably priced car should get one.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency. Easy clutch.

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of any......