Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car
By ScottE

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've been really pleased with this car. I wanted econo, but my wife wanted all the bells and whistles, so we got all the features available and it is a very nice. Comfortable, fast enough (not a rocket ship, but pulls hills effortlessly), and nice things like heated seats and good sound system. I put 17" wheels on, and have an automatic, and get about 42 mpg. I love that. Have two small kids and with car seats it is pretty tight in back, but managable. Fate is dropping an '02 Mercedes in my lap, so I am selling, but otherwise I would consider this a great long term car.

Mileage, excellent interior style and finish, heated seats, monsoon sound, sharp styling, comfortable highway cruising, never dips a mph off the cruise control setting when I come to hills, and on hill passes all the gas cars. Surprisingly large trunk.

Two little rattles I could live without (but aren't so annoying that I am willing to risk the damage the dealer might cause trying to fix them) More rear seat room.

Excellent car, dealer needs work
By Lineman

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI has served me well for over 2 years. The only major problem was the 'coolant migration' issue, which VW fixed for free under warrantee. Excellent gas (diesel) mileage, the blue interior lighting looks excelent, and I have no trouble accellerating and driving at high speeds on the Interstate.

fun to drive styling fuel mileage fast large trunk heated seats in winter

some parts aren't high quality (most are) coolant migration issue back seats are small for tall people

The best sedan I have ever had...
By santiscbr

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My wife and I currently average 50+ mpg. Need I say more. But I will. The build is incredible. Being a former mechanic, I have never seen so much detail in a sedan of its class. German engineering at its best. I expect, with at least 500000 miles left in the engine, it might, however unlikely, outlast the rest of the car. The cupholders are the only misplaced piece of accessory, as it blocks the radio controls when out, and you have to push it back in to remove a cd.

I love everything about this vehicle. Its ergonomics are incredible, save for the cupholder. That is how wonderful this car is. The only complaint is that small. Gas mileage is great, and the engine pulls strong and never feels weak.

Move the cup holders. That is it.

Great TDI Economy Car
By Mroto

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We get 47 avg. MPG in combined city/highway driving and 52-53MPG at steady freeway driving speeds. The engine is the best part of the car! Not a slow car by far and comfortable ride for a small car. Only knock is the fit and finish quality of some of the parts. The paint on the interior door handles flaked off for instance and VW does not stand behind this kind of problem, rear seat split on seam and VW also almost balked on this! Outside paint clear coat is peeling in a couple spots. Car itself is solid however so I feel these issues are comparitively minor.

Heated seats are great! Fuel economy in real world driving is 47MPG, Peppy if not fast pick up. Effortlessly cruises at 75-80 MPH

6th speed manual would be nice as would a little more rear legroom would be nice also. This is a great economy car!

Overall Happy
By Auburn Gal

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was an SUV, Truck person for a long time, but I purchased my Diesel Jetta last November used and I love it. I am in sales, and it gets great mileage. I would definetly suggest anyone looking for a sleek, fun, and sporty car, look into this one.

I love the interior. It looks expensive, yet I didn't pay an "arm and a leg" for it.

Move the cup holders! I can't access my cd player! Also, my window fell down out of now where the other day. Glad it wasn't raining. But other than that, I love my Diesel Jetta!!

• SUV