Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Never again...
By Erin

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car for less than 2 months & have already had to put $1500 into it. I've replaced a door sensor, trunk latch, numerous vacuum tubes, & windshield wiper motor. While driving 70 mph, the side mirror cap just decided to fly off too. Just got my catalytic converter replaced too. Thankfully, still under warranty (600 miles away from being too late though). Previously, I had a 92 Toyota Celica. In the 5 yrs I had it, I put about the same amt into it and most of it was maintenance. I will NEVER buy a VW again. Everyone I talk to with a VW agrees. TERRIBLE! Don't buy one unless you're ready to invest a lot of money into this car.

The turbo is fun...when it works.

Everything. Make something that's built to last on this car. The radio antenna stinks too...always fuzzy reception.

don't buy one
By lkennedy

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

2002 jetta. 1) calaber went bad 384.00 each 2) engine light twice 3) sensor switch twice 4) radio stopped working 5) tail lights burning out 6) head lights shut off while driving had to use hi beams to see. It's like non stop problems. I'm trading it in. Never again with VW. Wish I listened.

comfortable drives nice looks good to bad the rest of the car could be a +

fast, fun, and reliable
By mike

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 1.8t and haven't had any problems since, before this car i had a 2.0, once again, no major problems, just the glove box and cupholders breaking like usual lol, but who can complain, the 2002 jetta is powerful stock but in order to feel its real power you need to get an intake and have it chipped to run on 93, brought my power up quite a bit.

engine, i love the handling, and has a nice stock sound system

glove box, cup holders

Nice Car
By Denis

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everybody! if you guys buy 2.0L you gonna have problems, if you buy 1.8T you wont!!! i had this car over 2 years and i only changed sparkplug coils and thats it!!!!! 1.8T good car with AUDI engine!!!!

my new rims, powerful, no speed limiter!!! goes up to 160 mph, has an Audi engine

BMW here I come
By BMW here I come!!!

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and fell in love with it, until I realized that I was going to be at the dealer every 4 or 5 months because something failed or broke.

Stereo system, moon roof, seat heaters, the incredible speed this car is capable of

Make a much more reliable car. I'm so disappointed in this German car. I had a 1969 VW bug that I drove into the ground. I had to trade this one in at 81,000 miles. I will never purchase a VW again. BMW here I come.