2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Never Again
By VW Victim on 08/20/08 08:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2002 1.8T is the worst new car I have ever owned. After a long history of expensive repairs, the coup de grace is that my transmission now has to be replaced at 95,000 miles. A $5,500 repair, almost what the car is worth. I owned two Audis previously which I drove for a total of 13 years. The two of them combined didn't require as much maintenance as the VW. I will never, ever consider another VW.

Check Engine light was on more than off
By Tracy on 08/10/08 18:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst decision I ever made was buying this cute zippy car. I experienced all the problems others mentioned and then some. Someone wrote these are simple problems? hahaha Never, as the simple problems always cost four hundred or five hundred dollars because the mechanic would have to pull the engine out to handle those "simple problems" like replacing the thermostat. I had no choice but to get rid of it as it was costing me five to fifteen hundred dollars a month to repair whatever would cause the check engine light to go on and it came on every month! Once I paid off the car, service became more expensive than the car payments. I will never never give the German auto industry another dime.

Worst car ever!
By fratto1963 on 07/25/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned this car for a total of 4 months with nothing but problems from day one! I had the super-duper 'bumper to bumper' extended warranty that still didn't fix any of the problems that the dealership said it had. It spent more time in the dealership being 'repaired' than it did in my driveway. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Volkswagen really messed up with this car.

Never Buy This car or a VW Ever
By prusso on 06/13/08 22:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My car is at about 85k and I have had way too many problems with this vehicle. It is by far the worst vehicle I have ever had and I will never buy a VW ever again. I have had to replace the water pump at 62k, the alternator went out, I was just told I needed to replace the catalytic converter, the ect sensor and an addition 2 grand in fixes for a total of 3,200. I had some boots and a cb join that were cracked and leaking that was about 1000 bucks. By far the most unreliable vehicle I have had and hated everything about it. I ripped off the bumper 3 times because it always would catch on the curb because there is no guard on there. Don't buy this car.

Lion of the concrete Jungle
By Sharkie on 05/28/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car to RAS!!! VW's especially the VR6 (jetta/golf) go down well with people who love and care for them and not recommended for car neglects. Treat them well and they will go down in history with you. I will never drive anything else than a VW (6cyl) or an Audi. The good thing about them is you can really supe them up nice and steady. They are great @ curves and i will always recommend the shift stick (6spd) to transmission.

Don't Buy VW Jetta
By khalo on 05/20/08 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought Jetta 02, August 2007. I spent lot money in repair, in 9 months cost me lot. Lot of electric problems, and interior falling apart. In 9 months the car been in the shop more than 6 times, never fixed. Don't buy it. Thanks

Drivers wanted b/c the cars rarely run
By mcdc on 05/11/08 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

While I love the way VWs drive, mine has been in the shop at least 3 times a year outside of normal servicing. Last year I had to invest $7000 to keep it running, and I have under 75,000 miles on the car. New expensive problems crop up ever 6 months or so. If you love to sink $ into depreciating investments and spend time at the shop, then this car is for you!

Overall Good
By chefjeff on 04/10/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the 3rd vw I've owned in the last 8 years, the 1.8 is very smooth and quick when matched with the 5 speed tranny. This is like all other vw's in the respect that repairs are costly, my best advice is to buy a vag-com scan tool and a breakdown manual and do some of the work yourself, believe it or not a lot of the problems can be fixed quite easily and cost near nothing compared to dealership and repair shop prices. parts are cheaper when boughten online or from auto stores as well.. I've saved thousands by doing so.

6.5 years, 85,600 miles
By vw2audi on 03/21/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded in my VW and wanted to share a little from my use. Overall the engine and mechanics worked fine, except for the loud rattle and the oil leakage. All the issues I faced were on the interior; broken hinge on glove box, arm rest broke twice, interior film peeled in several areas, stereo and speakers cut in and out occasionally and the cloth as many stated is absolutely horrible. Good gas mileage and nice to drive.

Bad choice
By Missyv on 03/03/08 16:40 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am not pleased with this car AT ALL! I bought it brand new in 2001 and for the first 3 or 4 yrs it was good besides the cheap plastic on the interior, broken knobs, broken armrest, door handle material peeling off. After this (warranty no more) all hell broke loose. My ac broke twice, my clutch messed up and now my strutters need to be replace. I have only 65,000 miles on this car and it is only 6 /2 yrs old. I am definitely not buying another VW ever again! Engine light coming on, I wish I had done a little more research on this make and model before I purchased.