Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2002 Jetta TDI review
By Matthew Scott Medlin

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I loved the car, until it had to be in the shop too many times. The latest is a transmission issue. A BIG side note, very few people (dealership mainly) can change the Timing Belt at 80K. It requires special tools and it costs around $800.00.

Fuel Economy (45 miles to gallon). For a small engine, a lot of power, and quiet for a diesel.

Better parts for longer life of the car.

Best Mid Size Auto
By D Scheffler

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

On the highway this baby gets close to 50 mgs and has plendy of power and zip I love the firm spension and the many safety equipments (6 air bags) etc and the clean operation for a diesel. I hope the US automakers will copy VW and build quality economic cars.

Fast cold engine starts very very quiet for a diesel. Smooth autiomatic transmission ,great 4 wheel disc brakes, and AC filtered air.

Larger better located cup holders. build in a sun battery charger, an MP3 CD player, easy seat adjusters, rear windshied wiper/washer, biger door pockets, better head lights, a in compass, stronger side door braces, high speed AC fan, and darker tinted glass.

Don't believe everything you read
By mlgates

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I made every effort to thoroughly research before I bought a new vehicle. I like to keep my cars for a long time and wanted something reliable... The only good thing I can say about this vehicle is that I am glad that it came with a good warranty!!! I have had the vehicle in for some of the same repairs two and three times. A few weeks ago the transmission went out entirely! The gas mileage has been less than impressive, the diesel is loud and now diesel petrol is up to $2.79 a gallon! No more Volkswagens for me...

heated seats, 6 c.d. changer, moonroof

electric seat option. move the drink holder, reconfigure the seats so that stuff doesn't slide beneath the front seats so easily.

Nice economic fun to drive car.
By Tom

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car is great on fuel. I have been running 100% Virgin Soybean Biodiesel since day one without issue. Fuel use has been 40 around town and 54 on the highway. Performance is great and the ride is firm and tight.

TDI.

More legroom in the back seats and better weather seals around the doors.

Great Car
By william0110

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've really enjoyed this car. It is a manual 5 speed & fully loaded. I get an average of 45mpg & have never experienced less than 40mpg. Most of my driving is mixed city & express way. It failed to start one time when at home. The dealer picked it up & fixed it under warranty. If I remember correctly, it was the oxygen sensor. It is great on the highway. I had a 2000 model 2 liter gas model before this one & I found it to be louder on the road than my TDI.

I really enjoy the heated leather seats, stereo, & large trunk w/backseat fold down. The attention to detail like insulated battery box, hood release lever pops out when opened from inside, power window features auto up & down for the 2 front windows & open all with door lock key, purple dash lights

Put an extension on the sun visors. They only cover about half of the side window when positioned there. Place the drink holder below the radio if possible. I covers the stereo controls when opened for use.