Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Don't believe everything you read
By mlgates

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I made every effort to thoroughly research before I bought a new vehicle. I like to keep my cars for a long time and wanted something reliable... The only good thing I can say about this vehicle is that I am glad that it came with a good warranty!!! I have had the vehicle in for some of the same repairs two and three times. A few weeks ago the transmission went out entirely! The gas mileage has been less than impressive, the diesel is loud and now diesel petrol is up to $2.79 a gallon! No more Volkswagens for me...

heated seats, 6 c.d. changer, moonroof

electric seat option. move the drink holder, reconfigure the seats so that stuff doesn't slide beneath the front seats so easily.

Nice economic fun to drive car.
By Tom

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car is great on fuel. I have been running 100% Virgin Soybean Biodiesel since day one without issue. Fuel use has been 40 around town and 54 on the highway. Performance is great and the ride is firm and tight.

TDI.

More legroom in the back seats and better weather seals around the doors.

Great Car
By william0110

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've really enjoyed this car. It is a manual 5 speed & fully loaded. I get an average of 45mpg & have never experienced less than 40mpg. Most of my driving is mixed city & express way. It failed to start one time when at home. The dealer picked it up & fixed it under warranty. If I remember correctly, it was the oxygen sensor. It is great on the highway. I had a 2000 model 2 liter gas model before this one & I found it to be louder on the road than my TDI.

I really enjoy the heated leather seats, stereo, & large trunk w/backseat fold down. The attention to detail like insulated battery box, hood release lever pops out when opened from inside, power window features auto up & down for the 2 front windows & open all with door lock key, purple dash lights

Put an extension on the sun visors. They only cover about half of the side window when positioned there. Place the drink holder below the radio if possible. I covers the stereo controls when opened for use.

Great Car
By ScottE

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've been really pleased with this car. I wanted econo, but my wife wanted all the bells and whistles, so we got all the features available and it is a very nice. Comfortable, fast enough (not a rocket ship, but pulls hills effortlessly), and nice things like heated seats and good sound system. I put 17" wheels on, and have an automatic, and get about 42 mpg. I love that. Have two small kids and with car seats it is pretty tight in back, but managable. Fate is dropping an '02 Mercedes in my lap, so I am selling, but otherwise I would consider this a great long term car.

Mileage, excellent interior style and finish, heated seats, monsoon sound, sharp styling, comfortable highway cruising, never dips a mph off the cruise control setting when I come to hills, and on hill passes all the gas cars. Surprisingly large trunk.

Two little rattles I could live without (but aren't so annoying that I am willing to risk the damage the dealer might cause trying to fix them) More rear seat room.

Excellent car, dealer needs work
By Lineman

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI has served me well for over 2 years. The only major problem was the 'coolant migration' issue, which VW fixed for free under warrantee. Excellent gas (diesel) mileage, the blue interior lighting looks excelent, and I have no trouble accellerating and driving at high speeds on the Interstate.

fun to drive styling fuel mileage fast large trunk heated seats in winter

some parts aren't high quality (most are) coolant migration issue back seats are small for tall people