2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
What a value
By tar029 on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I feel like I have bought a luxury car at a common man's price. With standard safety features like side impact air- bags the Jetta gave us much more for our money than any other car in its class. With its great fuel economy and sporty feel it is a wonderful car to own and drive

A great ride
By stever817 on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a great car to drive. Its handling is amazing, the turbo is great,and the mileage is right on the mark. The seats are comfortable and unlike old VW diesels, this one makes it through tough midwest winters without a qualm starting.

Great car
By Maebee on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I like my new 2002 Jetta TDI (5 speed/Man)better every day. Just went over 11,000 miles with it. Except for the fact that radio stopped working one day, which the dealer fixed in 30 min, I've had no problems at all. Started fine all winter even at -15 F. Gas mileage keeps getting better now I'm averaging about 46 mpg. Does not smell, smoke or have any of the diesel problems that were common in the 80's. There is a terrific website for TDI owners that is very helpful.

The Diesel Dreamcar
By Carol B on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has been awesome. What other German car can you get 50mpg in under $20k? NONE. Its easy to drive, park, and speed in (likes to go 80-90, sometimes 100 and dont notice it). Very reliable, only in shop for oil changes.

2002 Jetta TDI
By TDIowner on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

We average about 47mpg. The best mileage was just over 60mpg and the worst being 38mpg in the summer with AC going and a lead foot. Havent had any issues with the car. We enjoy it so much we will be buying a second TDI. This car is not slow. It will hold its own. The car is very capable in city and highway driving. Our car is all stock. I have had a number of honda civic's try and race us. I normally give and and race them. Havent been beaten yet. The Jetta 2.0 is very close in performance. I just wanted to show you this isnt a doggish diesel.

VW TDI is a good choice
By yellowdr on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI is a great option for those looking for some fun, fuel economy, interior comfort, and style. The diesel is a little different than the gas engine and might take getting used to but the turbo diesel pick up makes a difference. This car is hard to keep under 70 on the highway. The front plastic piece is TOO close to the ground and often scrapes when pulling out of parking lots.

TDI mileage
By GJASR on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

It appears I can't fill the tank completely, the guage never hits the 1/1 mark. Don't know why. Also, I'm averaging about 425 miles between fill ups(well not to the top). Any ideas? Vehicle has 2.5k. Will mileage get better at some point. Do no have a heavy foot bu do travel at approx 65 mph.

Diesels do it better
By mbeer on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The diesel engine was the main selling feature for me. I get well over 50mpg on the freeway & have no complaints about power. This car pulls pretty hard on the freeway when passing, no down shifting needed. The attention to detail when designing this car is obvious & material quality equals that of BMW or Benz. A few creeks & rattles more then a german car should have but nothing excessive. Only problems Ive had was a torn weather strip and a seeping oil seal on transmission, dealer took care of both.

Terrible Car
By Max Allen on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It’s loud. It vibrates. The dash rattles, The windows squeak. There is no back seat. No usable cup holder. According to dealer, it’s all within mfg. Specs. My worst driving experience ever. Stay away from VW.

My new love
By Jaybee on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is one great car; how can you argue with 45-50 mpg? It is comfortable, fun to drive and gets me where I want to go with no problems. The dash lights at night are a nice little bonus. The only problem is with the cup holder; it does block some of the audio controls, but on the other hand if the AC is on it keeps your drinks cold. The seats move enough to keep both the shortest and tallest drivers happy. I love the car but would not go to the same dealer again; he charged me about 5K more than he should have.