Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Beautiful Rubbish
By vwrider

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am very mixed about this car. It was a zippy, fun to drive car and the experiences it gave me made the money spent worthwhile. But the money spent was A LOT of money!!! EVERYTHING breaks on this car, from knobs on the stereo, to the coolant expansion tank to the muffler mounting bolts, to the window actuators. It's very expensive to repair and you must get aftermarket upgrades if you want the repairs to last, OEM parts just fall apart in equal amount of time. The engine and tranny will last forever but before long everything else in the car will have been swapped out. If you have a love for VW and some money to spare, get this car, otherwise stay far away from it!

Butt-warmers! LOUD stereo. Acceleration. Leather seats and their quality. Fold-flat rear seats. Trunk space. Butt-warmers! Sharp brakes. Ease of modification. Butt-warmers!

Stop using cheap plastic stuff! Who on Earth uses a plastic impeller on the water pump! Anything not metal on this car breaks, stop using cheap plastics and nylon composites and get back to Nice sturdy metals already! Fix the friggin ignition coils! Drop timing belt prices, $1000 is absurd!

Best Car Ever
By God blessing jetta

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I just got my Jetta I love it. Very Clean car for 95000 miles on it . Its not giving me any problems since i got it . I read most of the reviews I believe if you take care of your car and this goes for all car and trucks if you take care of it , it will last you a very long time like for example i had a 1997 eclipse and It drove me everywhere and gave me no problems bc i took care of it but i sold it bc im 6ft 4in and need a bigger vehicle and it had 240,000miles and i just got my jetta and ima do the same thing is take care of it. its fast it runs good and its a 2.0litter well thats all for now

Sunroof rides very smooth 5 speed paint like brand new very taking care of looks new ohh and i had so many stereo systems in my life but this jetta has like the best clean system every you could hear the words and its sounds like i got 2 10'in subs with a 1000watt amp

...

MONEY PIT
By Brandon

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved this car in the beginning. I thought it was really cute and loved the turbo engine and other features like the heated seats. After the first year of ownership EVERYTHING started breaking. I've spent thousands on repairs. The last two years alone I've spent over $4000 dollars. Even the inside is falling apart. Many of the interior features are made of plastic and easily break. This car is in the shop every other month. Also as a sidenote the backseat is almost too small for passengers who aren't children. Very crowded.

heated seats. gas mileage.

RELIABILITY.

I love my car!
By ks1984

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my VW! I have not had any major problems with it. Runs great and is very comfortable. Handles great in the snow! Gets regular maintenance and oil changes with synthetic oil.

Heated seats, sunroof/moonroof, huge trunk, monsoon stereo.

My car hates me!
By Kim

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my jetta used. Ran great 4 a while then the problems started. 2 water pumps, 2 alternators, all round brakes once a year, hose harness broke causing oil to leak on fire wall, timing belt, lights blow out or short out until you tap them often, all 4 VW caps on wheels fell off. Bumper cover almost fell off, paint peeling on hood, front arm rest lid broke, stereo knobs fell off, radio comes on by itself sometimes causing battery to go dead when car is off and parked, moonroof has a mind of its own sometimes wont close for a few tries, steering wheel and dash trim is peeling. Need a new transmission and emission work which I cant afford so she will sit while I cont. To make pymts on her!

i loved the car when it ran good. liked everything. got great gas mileage, great pick up, great sound system and the car just fit me like a glove. plenty of space to fit 2 carseats in the back. loved the turbo. i really liked being able to open the windows from the outside w/the key when its hot out

Design the car not to fall apart! Cup holders in the back instead of an ashtray would be Nice too. Being able to check your own transmission fluid would be Nice too! Gotta take it to the shop so they charge you. Also front pass window leaks when it rains hard. Circle 2 pull oil dip stick broke off