2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Stay away from 2002 Jetta
By Eric on 05/02/09 12:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VW Jetta is not worth a dime. Problems since day 1. Water pump froze up causing timing belt to jump an d ruin engine. 1 Year later water pump froze up again. Constant electrical glitches and other mysterious items. Local VW dealer won't even look at if for less than $120. I would highly recommend staying away from these vehicles. They look nice; however, the quality is garbage.

Love the turbo!
By vw dude! on 03/09/09 19:32 PM (PDT)

Best car for the price

Piece of junk
By Eric on 02/12/09 09:58 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in 2002 since day one it was an electrical nightmare. Air cond. stopped working first year. It took a month for the dealer to fix. It took 7 trips to the dealer and me figuring that there was a short in the telescopic steering wheel. Besides the at least 50 or so times this car has been in the shop, the best is when the timing belt snapped while backing out of a parking spot ended up costing me $3500 because it has an interference engine where all the valves get bent requiring head to be redone. There was a bulletin stating there was a problem with antifreeze leaking down the wiring harness, of course this happened to my car. Do not buy this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oil burning, tranny chewing.
By Ryan on 01/30/09 16:51 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta with 64,000 miles. 100% of its service on schedule performed at only VW dealers. Last week the auto developed a shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. We took the car to VW where Several shocking events then occurred: 1. VW tranny's are sealed, not serviceable, and to check what was wrong with the shifting would cost $648. 2. This was a common problem on the 4cyl Jetta 3. Our $648 would go towards the cost of 1 of 2 outcomes: (1) New Valve Body in the Tranny $1800 or (2) Re manufactured by VW tranny for $4400-The car is worth 6-7000 bucks putting us in an interesting dilemma. [Side note, the car burns ~1 quart of oil per 1,200 miles which the dealer wouldn't fix under warranty

NEVER AGAIN
By NEVER AGAIN on 12/19/08 09:04 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about 2 and a half years ago. Nothing but problems, after 3 months my water pump blew. I should have got rid of it then. My radio nobs have fallen off, my arm rest broke, the seat adjuster broke in half, the value drops about 75% after you drive it off the lot and its so uncomfortable . Last week I lost the only key the dealership gave me when I purchased the car. Most dealerships can cut you a new key off of the vin right then and there. Not Volkswagen in order to get a new key you have to drive to Layton (30 miles from my home) show them proof you own it then they will order you key and then you have to tow your car to the dealership. price of key 200.00! Ridiculous.

Jetta VR6= (Road+Car+Driver)^(Connected)
By hola_dan on 10/29/08 18:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a VR6 and boy, I am so happy that I finally got one last year. I bought a used GLX 5-speed manual with all the options and only 26,000 miles. I have since improved the car by conditioning the leather and waxing it a couple of times - that's how much I like this car. It has many features you would not expect on a compact car - rear sunshade, automatic windshield wipers, excellent interior illumination (even with ambient LED lighting), fog lamps, REAL wood trim, excellent leather. However, the best thing of this car is the way you connect to it when you drive it. Around town it is amazingly fun to drive, and at high speeds, it is dead stable. Great European car!

Vw Jetta DO NOT BUY
By bob on 10/05/08 09:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2002 VW jetta worst car ever made. Water pump went out, electrical issues, transmission went out, heater problems, many other problems also. All this with only sixty thousand miles. By far the worst car ever made..

Don't waste your money or time
By Stella on 09/26/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new and within one month; there has been nothing but mechanical/electrical problems. At least every other month something else was and still is breaking and needs repair. The trade- in value is horrible; however after this mornings episode; I made up my mind to finally get rid of this piece of junk. The latest break was found when I went to get gas. The tank release button on the door broke and the gas door can't be opened. After looking throughout the car and trunk for an 'emergency release button'; none could be found. I drove the car to a local station; warranty expired; so this cost will be added to the long list of headaches that came along with this car.

Unreliable
By jdiggity666 on 09/10/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage and in my case the mechanical aspects are good. However, i have had numerous problems with my jetta. Both front door sensors broke, my arm rest broke, the glove box door fell off. Both front turning indicator light covers broke. Small but extremely frustrating problems.

Fun Car with a lot of speed
By KJN on 08/23/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 VW Jetta VR6 GLX in late 2005 right before the new models started to hit the dealerships. I knew I was paying more for a VW and this model has all the extras that reflected the price. The Pick-up for a small sedan without aftermarket enhancements has to be one of the best. The fuel economy is not great, but it is a V6 so that is expected. I have done minimal maintenance and the car is still running great. I wish there was Mp3 capability with the car, but I guess since it is a 2002 that was not an option. It would be great if they made the Jetta in an AWD model!