Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Frustrated with Volkswagen!
By discodancinqueen

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have taken my car in numerous times for recall things. I had only had it for 1 year when the keyless remote quit working - was told it would cost $200 to re-key it - that it wasn't covered under the warranty! (I shudder to think of paying $200. every time it "loses" its memory!) Then the sunroof wouldn't open all the way - I was charged another $200 and told it wasn't covered under warranty because it was only "dirty" and "needed cleaning!" So I'm going to pay $200 every time it gets dirty!?!

Favorite Features

Good trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Lifetime warranty on keyless remote; warranty should cover sunroof when it doesn't work

Great car!
By Bharat P

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first day I took it out, the window fell in, but that was the only problem. I love this car, it has nice torque and it looks great. I especially love the turbo. The cupholders don't really interfere unless you change CDs frequently.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual, heated seats, interior lighting and the turbo.

Suggested Improvements

The cloth seat material.

It's Never Gonna Die
By knoxgrassdealer

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 1.8t 4dr in early march with 100,000 miles, and I've put it through the works. I'm 19 year old so I'm not the slowest driver, the second day i had it i crashed the hell out of it. I'm not sure how but the air bags didn't deploy, and i was able to drive away with ease. I had to replace many parts including doors, windows, wires. Very easy work considering the dept of it. Since, I've put over 8,000 miles on it and my girl friend had smashed more windows out lol. But overall whenever i get more money I'm definitely gonna consider buying another one. Excellent performance, Decent fuel economy, Kinda small, Big trunk! ;) Great car..

Favorite Features

Outside looks, Sound system, Performance, 17 inch Alloys, Trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None, Nothing but excellence.. I love this car. Much better than the LHS, 2 CAMRY's,AND THE PROTEGE.

VW WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE
By fred

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I beg anyone reading this to please DO NOT ever buy a VW. This car has caused me so much stress. I will go as far as to say it has ruined my life. Buy this car if you want to cough up about $300- $600 every 3 months for repairs. NOTHING is cheap to fix. I have had this car for 5 years & have spent well over $5000 in repairs. You name it, I've replaced it. Its in the shop AGAIN. I am done with this car. I don't care if I lose money I am going to buy a Toyota or Honda this week. I never thought a car could be such a nightmare. VW customer care was a joke so don't even bother trying to contact them about any problems you may have. They may be cute & fun but they are not reliable at all.

Favorite Features

None. I have had such a horrible experience with this car that there is nothing good to say. It is a waste of money.

Suggested Improvements

AC that works would be nice, or how about a transmission that lasts longer than 60,000 miles. Interior that doesn't peel. Doors that don't leak water inside the car. There isn't enough space for the rest. This list could go on forever.

The Car!
By Bluekate18

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have just recently purchased a silver one and I am loving it. It is a big change from an '86 Chevy Blazer. Leather seats really add class to the car. I am very comfortable driving it. The fact that there are so many air- bags and other safety features gives me a peace of mind when driving it out in this crazy world. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, no matter your age, because it is an overall wonderful car.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the turbo because it has a lot more "zip" than the regular 2.0 liter. It is very fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in this vehicle is above all of the electronic items in the dashboard and if something is spilled, the buttons for the stereo and the fan adjustments all get sticky.