2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
VW WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE
By fred on 09/06/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I beg anyone reading this to please DO NOT ever buy a VW. This car has caused me so much stress. I will go as far as to say it has ruined my life. Buy this car if you want to cough up about $300- $600 every 3 months for repairs. NOTHING is cheap to fix. I have had this car for 5 years & have spent well over $5000 in repairs. You name it, I've replaced it. Its in the shop AGAIN. I am done with this car. I don't care if I lose money I am going to buy a Toyota or Honda this week. I never thought a car could be such a nightmare. VW customer care was a joke so don't even bother trying to contact them about any problems you may have. They may be cute & fun but they are not reliable at all.

Haven't had any major issues
By Ryan on 09/03/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been great to me for 7 years. It's fun to drive, get's great gas mileage and I haven't had any major issues. The ignition coil recall several years back was a a bit of a pain (all Jettas and Audi A4s), but they fixed it free and quick. I did have to replace hoses a couple years ago and have had my share of flat tires due to city driving and performance tires, but no real complaints.

Worst car I ever owned
By upchuda on 09/01/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you value you wallet, don't purchase this car! I bought this "certified pre-owned car from Osborne Automotive on Colfax. Every piece of the car has had to be replaced including the coolant tank, transmission, gas tank etc. I am so upside in what I owe compared to the $7,437.23 that I have put in it in the last 3 years that I will be paying for the car long after it's dead.

sell @ 90000 miles
By john on 08/27/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our Jetta was great until it reached 90,000 miles. The first thing that happened was the check engine light came on. After unsuccessful 3 tries by VW to correct the problem (average $300 repair each time) the light remained on. At 92,000 the generator went out (cost $850). You would have thought it was made of gold or something. That depleted my savings of which I was going to replace the timing belt/water pump (recommended @ 100k) @ $900 and the front stablizer mounts @$250, but instead I sold it. It was a great vehicle until 90k when it began to eat us out of house and home.

WONDERFUL CAR
By Ginger on 08/04/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my VW Jetta- for some reason mine has not had any problems! The car has over a 100,000 miles now and is still running like a champ! Great car, affordable, and very cute!

ok car
By ok car on 07/24/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think everyone has the same problems with these cars. Drove two hours to pick the car up at a dealership. Drove home about a 1hour after I drove it the water pump went out, Took it back they replace it for free. But I should of listen to my girlfriend, she told me not to keep it after that. Wish I would listen .

Highly recommended
By Andrew on 06/20/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I was 18, I bought a new car to replace my '98 Ford Contour. My old car was unreliable, shameful, and boring. So for $12,500, I bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T. This car is a perfect blend of practicality, power, class, and reliability. I get 23 mpg city/31 highway. The Turbo kicks into high gear, and gives you all the power you need . The interior? I have leather, heated seats, power windows, even a power sunroof. And now, almost 2 years later, STILL not one thing has gone wrong with it. Sure, I take good care of it, but Volkswagen has really given me a great product here. not a very big car, but extremely safe. So if you want a car that you can be proud of, for a good price, get one of these

Biggest Pile I Have Ever Owned
By johnd on 05/08/09 12:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was really excited when I bought the car. Been all downhill since. There cannot be a car that is more cheaply made than this. Mechanical issues (hoses, coils, traction control, etc.), interior is literally peeling, seats fall apart, antenna is cracking and falling off, engine cover under the car fell off, front bumper has come off twice. Lost lug caps, front grill caps. I could go on and on. Worst car I have ever owned. Will never buy a VW again.

another example of overenginered parts
By noisyhonda on 05/03/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

when i bought this car it gave a GREAT FIRST impression. good fit and finish clean lines good overall german paint and body.it was fun to drive plenty of power good not great handling. over all a very seemly sound investment. I have now owned the vehicle for four years 1.5 setting in my garage dead. I have had this car in the shop about five times for dead batterys snapped timing belt bad water pump( its impeller is made out of plastic very bad idea) bad alternator, tail light constantly going out, check engine light comes on in two minutes after dealership resets it but it show no codes, and now something is wrong with the transmission wont go anywhere. overall i would not recommend this car

Great features, terrible reliability.
By JohnJetta on 05/02/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If this car were more reliable, (or at all reliable), I would be completely satisfied with it. It has a great interior with plenty of useful features and a good design. I love the look of the outside as well. BUT, this car has been nothing but trouble since the day I got it. It is in the shop AT LEAST once a month, and repairs on German cars are expensive! The check engine light is basically on more than it is off. Make sure you have a lot of money to spare and an extra car if you decide to buy a Volkswagen!