2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So Unhappy With This Car!!!
By VW Sucks on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2000 Jetta GLS-worst car I have ever owned.W/in 2 months of purchase,had problems w/ gear shift,couldn't get car out of park: had to get it flatbed towed.>1 yr after purchase,brake lights remained on even w/ key out of the ignition. >1.5 yrs after purchase, engine simply died while I was driving in traffic. >2 yrs after purchase, front right window malfunctioned.Dealer said problem was so common,part was on national backorder.I asked courtesy driver from the service dept about problems he'd seen:doesn't sound like VW has fixed newer yr models either.Now I received a recall notice regarding emissions and fuel efficiency.Unbelieveably,unacceptably unreliable car.Stay away at all costs!!!

Fahrvergnügen in a Lemon!?
By acarr on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After a great sales experience, my Jetta promptly started to fall apart. With only 675 miles on the car, the gas door release button fell into the door panel and the gas sensor was bad. I took it into the dealer, with it only to happen again 3 days after picking it back up with 1218 miles. Not only could I not put gas in the car (there is no manual release), I didn't know how much gas I had left! VW Cust. Service called the service dealership to where I was to be towed and they could not see me for TWO DAYS! I was stuck! Now, with only 1920 miles, the malfunction light on the dash is on signifying an engine fault. Three separate defects in under 2000 miles? Is this acceptable to VW?

Jetta's ROCK!
By LukyDuk07 on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After my first car i was painstakingly looking for another car that would last and yet look good. The Jetta was the best bet! i love the way it runs and the inside and outside of the vehicle. i love my car!

Jetta 1.8t / tiptronic & Sport pkg.
By scottw911 on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For the money, the 1.8t, with the sport package and 17" wheels is exceptional. It offers plenty of performance and comfort for the relatively low price point. The small displacement offers good milage and a sense of environmental responsibility while the Turbocharger gives the car some real kick.

New 200hp Jetta GLX - Bad News
By Casasf on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 Jetta V6 GLX with the 200hp engine has been nothing but trouble. The car is a month old, & already it's been in the shop 8 days. 1st, the engine control module went. My svc mgr let slip that 500 other Jettas had the same problem. 2nd, the driver's side door didn't fit. It had to be reinstalled. 3rd, the car blew its coolant all over the garage floor. The svc dept found "nothing wrong". 4th, the car does not idle well. It races then dies. The svc dept has been unable to find the problem. The svc mgr is so fed up he is ready to call in an official VW rep, thus handing this problem car off on someone else. It is my opinion that this car is a lemon. Buyers beware.

Buyers beware
By Courtney on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I fell in love with my Jetta until after 4000 the engine had to be replaced. I have received terrible customer service from VW and am working with the BBB to get my money back. It was a great car, I just got a lemon. Be careful.

VW new motto: Suckers Wanted
By rmarcassoli on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Had the car for a little over one, and already it has been in the shop four time for repair work. Electrical problems, window problems, total brake & rotor replacement at 19K, and sensor problems. Carseat fabric is the most horrible material known to humans. Make sure you get the upgraded stereo so you will not have to listen to all the sqeaks the car makes. Basically all the same headaches that everyone else on the site has been having. Spoken to many people who have the same feeling..as time goes on the car has more and more problems. Totally regret buying this car, high price and low quality.

Great Car for your MONEY
By Installs + Plus on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

this car is like a wolf in sheeps clothing.Lets just put it this way I surprise alot of drivers when they have to take a better look at the trunk emblem and see that it's a VR6.I purchased this vehicle with the 17" upgraded sports package and also modified the suspension by replacing with neuspeed. When I first bought the car I loved it but it was to high. It looks like a SUV until I changed the suspension (night and day difference.) Overall the car is great. I truly recomend this car if you want something practicality and understating. I personally love the 330ci bought I want to sleep at night. ENJOY YOUR VW THEY ARE GETTING MUCH BETTER THEN THEY USED TO BE!

Sharpest Looking Compact on the Street
By golfrisk on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I was considering by my first VW, I was a little concerned about their reliability track record. I'm now happy to report my 2002 (2.0 L) Jetta has run almost flawlessly for its first 30,000 miles! It is an absolutely fun car to manuever throuogh heavy Atlanta traffic.

Jetta 1.8T
By Bunnylover on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the Jetta GLS 1.8T last week. and I love it. My only complaint is the design/placement of the cup holder. VW needs to redesign that. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say about the car. One thing is for sure, I'll never by an American car again.