Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My Jetta
By Jettaboistl

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well most problems that I have had are cosmetic but nothing to serious. I am now having a second problem with the brake switch. All in all I love my Jetta. I figure the problems I am having could happen to any car. This is an awesome car to drive and I love driving. I am completely sold on VWs.

Favorite Features

The great handling of the car. I love being able to take sharp curves at 45mph and completely feel safe.

Suggested Improvements

Redo the brake switch. Having problems 2 times with them is a little annoying. At least I don't have to pay for the repairs.

quick vw
By Jet blk

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a fun european auto. I have compared performance, size and features to the Mini Cooper, and I am glad I have the Jetta. As far as "bang for the buck", this car has it all. One question, why has my book value on car this plummeted in such a short time?! This is unacceptable!

Favorite Features

Performance is great, fuel economy is good and it turns heads with the stock sport package that includes 17" wheels, 225/45/17 tires, sport sway bar, and stiffer springs.

Suggested Improvements

Handling could be a bit tighter, but adequate in the twisties. Hey VW...stop making these in Mexico!!!

fun
By shiner

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is very fast and a lot of fun. I too had the coil problem, but my dealer fixed it quickly and gave me a rental in the mean time. Since then it has run flawlessly. Second gear is a bit funny. If you don't hit it just right it can bog a bit. Otherwise, I'm looking forward, and fully expecting, to taking it to 300k miles.

Favorite Features

It handles like it's on rails. Good acceleration. Rock solid at high speeds. Six speed.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat very tight. Cupholders over radio need to be moved. Shorter shifting.

never again will I buy a VW
By michele in MA

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my Jetta in Apr 02,by May I was in for service,the passenger door was rattling.In June my wiper blade had to be adjusted,it was hitting the side of the car.In July my ignition coil failed.In Dec. the ignition coil failed again.In Aug 2003,my passenger side window fell into the door.When the window was repaired they also fixed the engine coil again, since VW put out a campaign to install the new engine coils.Sorry VW you didn't fix the issue with the engine coils!By Sept the engine coil failed again.You definitely don't get what you paid for with this vehicle.My advice is buy a Honda they are better built.

Favorite Features

The heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Make a more reliable vehicle. Better quality interior components. The car is cheaply made, the treble button on my stereo has broken off,the VW logo on my tire blew off,and my handle on the drivers side door is peeling.

2003 GLS 1.8T Triptronic
By Cards28

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lucky me, I bought a 2003 Jetta in Jan 2003 after all the problems in previous years were ironed out. Just over 6,000 miles and haven't had one problem yet. Sometimes I feel like the other shoe is going to drop, though. I just don't like the turbo lag with the Triptronic. I understand that you can go back and forth with it but sometimes I don't have the feel of what gear I'm in. At the time of purchase my wife didn't want another manual trans in the garage. I think the manual would be easier to drive because I would always know what gear I'm in. Other than that, I'm happy soooo far.

Favorite Features

Monsoon, moon roof, dash lights, leather, heated seats and R/V mirrors, and it's overall stance.

Suggested Improvements

Re-address the turbo lag problem for the Triptronic, cup holders, and everything else is OK. Improvements: I need to put more miles on it and at which time I'll have more comments.