2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Don't want my wife driving this one..
By sellingmyvw on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this 02 Wagon about 6 months ago and have put about 16000 miles on her since then. Not really what I had expected. The temperature light comes on all the time. The doors froze shut in the winter and the 20 mpg on the highway is killing me. I went to fold down the back seats today and the bottom part of the back seats hits the front seats. Ya have to be pretty small to drive and have the seats down at the same time. Overall...not a very good car.

Not a good-buy Jetta
By SjL on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 24 months I recently traded my Jetta. Monsoon stereo was sub- par. Interior surfaces rock-hard and began peeling. Electronic gremlins, lost power and headlights. McDonald VW in Denver was only interested in sale and survey results, VERY POOR DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE. Bottom Line: This car did not offer the features, value, or reliability for the price. LOOK ELSEWHERE!

The Black Flash
By Mate on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Very nippy, handles well - though should corner better with its wide rims & low-profile tires - a great fun wagon

Worst car (of 8 new) we've ever owned
By Clint_ on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Performance is great. Fit and finish are impeccable. Reliability is deporable. This car has been towed eight times and spent 43 days in the shop for unscheduled maintenance. Clutch failed with same problem four times. We were charged $1000 for a new clutch which failed as I drove away from dealer! Yet they still expected us to pay for it. They only caved in after I promised to dispute credit card charge. After a dozen calls, VW's single response has been to offer $150 of dealer service.

DISAPPOINTED-Poor Quality VW
By meeghanm1236 on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have one of the VW lemons. Since 2002 car has been towed 7 times for 7 different mechanical problems. I am frustrated. I wrote to VW with copies of all receipts, NO RESPONSE. I guess they already have my money, so they could care less. Good Luck on your legal action. I wish I had the money, but with my monthly car payment for this lemon, I am broke. And carless at the moment, since it was towed once again. A brand new car, especially a VW should not have these problems.

Don't do it!
By StuckWithIt on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my GLS Wagon for 19 months and it has been a complete nightmare. In and out of the shop with more problems that I care to type in (including transmission replacement). There are a lot of people with the same problem as me (www.myvwlemon.com). When the car is working it is fun to drive, but it doesn't run long enough for me to enjoy. I would not suggest the headache until VW fixes their quality problems.

Horrible Design, Poor craftmanship
By luga on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car two years ago, and sold it last Saturday. I wish I had saved myself the $9000 (!!!) it depreciated. This is a bad car, very cheaply made. Within the first two weeks, four plastic items simply fell from it. Add to this cheap quality the tiny back seat area, the lack of grip on pronounced curves, where you always have to end up correcting in too sudden a manner, and the completely dumb electronics (the boot closes itself automatically all the time, even with the car open; the e-key is horrible and unintuitive...),and a horrible operating manual, and you have a recipe to go mad.

Wolfsburg Jettas are better
By RShepherd on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my Jetta Wagon. The build quality is excellent with none of the squeaks and rattles that so often plague Puebla Jettas (all wagons are made in Wolfsburg while all No. American bound sedans are made in Mexico).It rides better than just about any small car (the Ford Focus comes close)and has a tight steering feel and excellent brakes. The interior (especially leather like mine) looks like an Audi and much better than any other subcompact car. The seats are very firm, but comfortable for long-distance travel. If it were stolen today, I'd buy another one, but probably one with manual transmission.

a hard-to-beat combo
By socalscribe on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this car, despite a 115-hp base engine, is a lot of fun to drive. it is comfortable, roomy, as safe as anything in its class. sleek styling. fuel economy is consistently 24-26 mpg, even in the city. ride is smooth; handling is great. the car does not accelerate quickly through lower gears, unless pushed, but once in third moves fast. cruises well at high speeds. the 2.0 base engine is said to be more reliable than the turbo, and with a stick it's still fun to drive. leather interior and sunroof give this car the feel of others costing more; it compares favorably to the volvo v40. overall, it's a sleek, safe, reliable, well priced, fun to drive car.

Run away as fast as you can
By geolro on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I completely concur with Paulie and Adam. I've had the same problems both of them have described with varying degrees of success in remediation. * Spastic shifting * Spastic starting in cool weather * Alarm system malfunctions * Radio went dead * Door seals ruined after winter weather * Squeaky steering wheel * Squeaky front seats * Squeaky body panels in cargo area.