2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 3

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Can't go wrong with a TDI
By Chism on 05/20/06 06:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have been very impressed with this car. It gets incredible gas mileage and is a very solid build. It handles well, and all of the controls are easy to get to.

Love the farfegnuugen
By wildcat on 06/21/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Wasn't sure how I would like a small car like this coming from owning pickup trucks but I've been driving it for almost 3 years now and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Incredible with fuel economy(about 42MPG) with my 4 speed automatic and it is solidly built. Haven't had any problems except for a clip in the automatic windows that failed but they replaced them under warranty. Love my Jetta!

Excellent MPG, excellent car
By flicken on 05/18/05 18:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My primary reason for purchasing this car was its mileage ratings. I chose between this car and the 2004 Toyota Prius. Unfortunately for Toyota (and thankfully for me), I needed a new car before the new Prius was released in the United States. Currently at 65k miles, the car has required no maintenance other than the regular servicings. On long trips, I have averaged up to 60 mpg. Typically, i average around 47 mpg in regular (75% highway, 25% city) driving.

2002 Jetta TDI review
By Matthew Scott Medlin on 05/06/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I loved the car, until it had to be in the shop too many times. The latest is a transmission issue. A BIG side note, very few people (dealership mainly) can change the Timing Belt at 80K. It requires special tools and it costs around $800.00.

Best Mid Size Auto
By D Scheffler on 04/16/05 01:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

On the highway this baby gets close to 50 mgs and has plendy of power and zip I love the firm spension and the many safety equipments (6 air bags) etc and the clean operation for a diesel. I hope the US automakers will copy VW and build quality economic cars.

Don't believe everything you read
By mlgates on 03/12/05 19:40 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I made every effort to thoroughly research before I bought a new vehicle. I like to keep my cars for a long time and wanted something reliable... The only good thing I can say about this vehicle is that I am glad that it came with a good warranty!!! I have had the vehicle in for some of the same repairs two and three times. A few weeks ago the transmission went out entirely! The gas mileage has been less than impressive, the diesel is loud and now diesel petrol is up to $2.79 a gallon! No more Volkswagens for me...

Nice economic fun to drive car.
By Tom on 01/04/05 14:15 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car is great on fuel. I have been running 100% Virgin Soybean Biodiesel since day one without issue. Fuel use has been 40 around town and 54 on the highway. Performance is great and the ride is firm and tight.

Great Car
By william0110 on 11/14/04 10:03 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've really enjoyed this car. It is a manual 5 speed & fully loaded. I get an average of 45mpg & have never experienced less than 40mpg. Most of my driving is mixed city & express way. It failed to start one time when at home. The dealer picked it up & fixed it under warranty. If I remember correctly, it was the oxygen sensor. It is great on the highway. I had a 2000 model 2 liter gas model before this one & I found it to be louder on the road than my TDI.

Great Car
By ScottE on 11/07/04 02:50 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've been really pleased with this car. I wanted econo, but my wife wanted all the bells and whistles, so we got all the features available and it is a very nice. Comfortable, fast enough (not a rocket ship, but pulls hills effortlessly), and nice things like heated seats and good sound system. I put 17" wheels on, and have an automatic, and get about 42 mpg. I love that. Have two small kids and with car seats it is pretty tight in back, but managable. Fate is dropping an '02 Mercedes in my lap, so I am selling, but otherwise I would consider this a great long term car.

Excellent car, dealer needs work
By Lineman on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI has served me well for over 2 years. The only major problem was the 'coolant migration' issue, which VW fixed for free under warrantee. Excellent gas (diesel) mileage, the blue interior lighting looks excelent, and I have no trouble accellerating and driving at high speeds on the Interstate.