Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Happy and Sad
By BuffaloScout

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased this used vehicle for my 90 mile a day/6 day a week job. Right away noticed that at least twice a year something would go wrong requiring $500-1200 dollars to fix at the local dealership. Now with 156000 miles my little yellow light told me it required a new transmission. Bummer as I wanted to fully test the longevity of the diesel engine. It reminds me of an expensive girlfriend that you really love, but have to lose to keep your sanity/money. Hence the bipolar ratings I gave this car.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, and gas mileage. I recommend this vehicle if you get the manual transmission. I also really love the heated seats and sunroof. Block heater is a must if you live north of the mason dixon line. Any temp around single digits and this car will let you down without one.

New center arm rest, mine broke within a week of owning it. I can only assume this is a common problem. Seats are not comfortable after 2 hours of steady driving. Some sort of MP3 option

Don't even consider this year!
By Jessica

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a Jetta as my first car. Parents thought it was great because of the safety features and gas mileage, blah blah blah, and what teenage girl doesn't want a cute little Jetta? Since the very week after buying it, it's had nothing but problems. Computer glitches, leaks,AC wont work, malfunctions, and mysteries that the dealership seems incapable to fix. I love my car, but at the same time, I expected it to be a long term, reliable car. And it's proving to cost more than I ever anticipated. The engine has been great, it's just that every other possible thing that could go wrong, has and will. Don't even consider an '02 Jetta.

The car handles beautifully, I trust it in the snow and ice, and in the rain. I also love the trunk space and blue lights on the dash. Cabin space is really nice as well, at least for a smaller girl.

Everything. Especially the bumpers, they will rip off if you pull onto a curb AT ALL. Volkswagen, you should really just pay US to drive this thing. Or, at least get your act together and stop making us pay an arm and a leg to get little things replaced.

Only car I'll buy
By dean

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In 3 years I've put 90,000 miles on it. I do not get below 500 miles per tank average 40 mpg city and as high as 58 hwy. There is a relief button inside filler neck of fuel tank to allow more fuel. I've gone 758 miles on one tank of fuel. Memphis TN to Madison Wi straight! Only problem with it has been glow plugs. Luckly I live in Ca so I'm not going to replace them. Other than that, expect to pay $900 every 80K for a timing belt. I'm getting ready to have 2nd one installed soon. I will buy a tdi again without a doubt.

I love diesels. I will not buy hybrid crap. I will gladly pay extra for fuel and then pass you up any hill.

the improvement has already been made, the cup holder! I have test driven the 09 and love it. I will have one some day.

Volkswagen of Alabama
By ALABAMAJETTA

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've been a Honda/Toyota man all my life, Came across a good deal on VW TDI GLS and I have not looked back, would love to own Tiguan TDI (maybe one day) Hope VW comes to ALABAMA! Thank you Germany. With many Honda accords and Toyota RAV4 behind me, give me a VW any day with a diesel and I'll enjoy the drive.

TDI, Clean. can hardly tell its diesel.

Seats to hard, Cup hold is a joke and is set above the Radio/AC. not good. Radio is not the greatest.

Wouldn't sell it
By tom

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I agree with the cup holder syndrome and the back seat space issue, but we still get 49+ mpg on the highway after 135k miles. One minor problem with a sensor but otherwise trouble free. Best small car we have owned in 40 years. As well as it is built, we plan to keep it for a long long time. A clear and shining example of why the US automotive industry is a failure.

Mileage, fit and finish. As the diesel 2002 models were made exclusively in Germany, they don't suffer from the US or Mexican manufacturing quality problems.