I should have listened to my instinct!!
By Never Will Again on
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I got this car thinking I would give VW a chance in hopes that they had come a long way. I knew that VW/Audi didn't have the best consumer reports for reliability, but I felt if I found one that was care for w/ low miles, I would be fine. I was wrong. In the short time I have had it, I had to replace the ignition coils, a hose, the emobilizer shut my car down from moving (when all I had was a dead battery), and now finally, the timing belt just skipped a notch and blew the head and bent valves!! You wanna know how much the repairs are? Oh about $3000-4000. That is no joke. I am so mad I ever got this car. I warn you now, don't make the mistake I did. email if you have more questions.
Favorite Features
Tiptronic (but I was using it when I blew the timing belt)....It sounds good and all, but these cars aren't meant to be driven hard. I babied mine - I have my 4 year old riding with me all the time. I am a guy and I do my own maintenance on cars. I will never buy a VW again.
Suggested Improvements
You can read the top and see that they just aren't a toyota. You might pay a little more for a toyota/lexus, but I never had a problem with either of my 4runners the whole time I owned either, and both of them were used and not new. This car was 7 years old with 70,000 miles on it...yikes huh.