2002 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Transmission problems

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

Transmission problems
By josevi on

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I came to the Jetta Wagon from a Civic and it is I came to the Jetta Wagon from a Civic and I have to say that it is a much better car. The cargo capacity is incredible, especially considering its compact size. However, like many European cars, it suffers from electronic gremlins (most of the issues, solved under warranty). More worrying was extensive cylinder work at around 50k miles and a rebuilt transmission at 70k, the latter, according to internet forums being a common issue. Despite its practicality, its comfort and attractive design, I would not recommend that you buy a second-hand one. I am trying to get a couple of years more of mine and will move on to a different brand.

Design. Behavior in road (very composed). Comfort. Cargo hold (I have not seen something that I cannot fit in this compact wagon). Spec for the price. Sound equipment. Little wind noise, the engine being on the quiet side, even considering that it is a four banger. (especially compared to a Civic)

Reliability. The transmission is a common problem and VW should really address it and make good by their clients. Some flimsy finish (I am on the third armrest storage latch, and I consider myself a pretty careful person).