2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car!
By nadmonk on 10/18/07 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after owning 3 Accords in a row I was a little leery considering some of the reliability stories you hear of VW. This car has been great, even with the 2.0 4cyl it is fun to drive, the mileage exceeds their claim. The exterior styling isn't for everyone, but I like it. The Monsoon stereo is great. I have had no mech or elec problems. The only issues are that the air vents seem to get damaged easily and the seat cloth holds lint like mad. The cup holders are a pain, but I think that's a German thing as even BMWs have subpar holders. Just be sure to use a closed top lid unless you want to spend a weekend cleaning coffee out of the stereo like I did from the prev owner.

I've Been Pleased...So Far
By CCDangie on 08/04/06 09:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 3-year old '02 Jetta Wagon with only 5,100 miles on it and in ten months I have put 20,000 miles on it and have had no problems. The car is very quick and agile (VR6) and fairly comfortable for my 6'3" frame. I've had no issues with the car other than the wipers sit lower on the windshield than the defrost vents. This causes them to freeze up in the winter. Also, the transmission is extremely choppy and never seems to know what gear it wants. Plus, the gearing is too short so my gas mileage is only around 23, which is not so good. All in all, it's a blast to drive and I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

Can't Wait Until my Lease is up!
By Katy on 01/17/06 16:17 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a lot of problems with my 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, including the fact that it burns 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles and the manufacturer says that's within specs. I had an issue where the cruise control was broken and the alarm would go off in the middle of the night. I would unlock the car so the alarm wouldn't go off again, but the car would lock itself and then proceed to alarm again. There was an instance where the passenger's side door wouldn't open from the inside. The radio broke and had to be replaced and evidently it wasn't installed correctly to begin with. Shall I go on? I HATE this car! The only cool thing about it is the purple dashboard lights.

Great & Dependable
By No major complaints on 04/21/05 10:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car 3 years now without any trouble, our second VW (we also have a Beetle). The cargo capacity is terrific, the handling is smooth, the mileage is very good. Overall a great car for the price. One note: VWs do burn oil so I check the level about every 6 weeks or so.

Allow for lots of trips to dealer..
By Jetta girl on 03/05/05 21:38 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Before I bought this car I had a Toyota Camry that I bought new. It was 4 years old when I purchased this VW and I never had to take it to the dealership once. I didn't even change the oil and I never had the slightest problem. Since I bought the VW I am at the dealership nearly monthly for one thing or another. It's way too much hassle and inexcusable to have so many problems on such a new car. I will say my husband bought a VW GTI the same day I bought my Jetta that he loves and hasn't had nearly as many problems as I have (but still has had problems). We also bought a 2003 Jetta for our babysitter in 2003 and she hasn't had nearly as many problems as I have, but still more than she should.

Happy not Thrilled
By DAB on 12/30/04 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my variant for 38,940 miles now. Only 2 problems, the window regulator broke and my battery died. Both of which the dealer replaced under warranty. The gas mileage is not up to what was advertised on the sticker. I did look at other compact wagons before signing on the dotted line. The Mazda P5 was down on power and the WRX wouldn't hold my golf clubs in the boot with out intruding into the back seat. Each of which you can't throw a baseball and not hit one of them on the street. For the money it was a fine purchase. I did opt for the dealer extended warranty, so I'm good up to 100,000 miles. If I did have a family I would have spent the extra grand or so on the Passat Wagon.

Frustrated with VW
By Joe23456 on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have to be up front and admit that the Jetta Wagon is fun car to drive. Unfortunately we have been experiencing an excessive amount of mechanical problems. The car has been in and out of the shop for various repairs, which have been mostly covered under warranty. At 62,000 miles (well before the scheduled 80,000 mile service) the timing belt slipped which caused a bent valve and a $5500 repair bill. I would highly recommend that if you are considering a VW that you choose a different car company. If you decide to buy a VW trade it in before it comes out of warranty.

Great car, but....
By jonnyGURU on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What bugs me is the little, stupid failures in attention to detail. The power window's cable clips inside the doors broke (replaced), the latch for the center console broke, the rubberized surface on some of the plastic interior pieces is peeling, the rear windows washer leaks, and the center caps on my front two wheels FELL OFF. The check engine light just lit up too. Car drives great. Quiet, smooth. Like I said, the little details suck.

Safe, powerful, no mechanical problems,
By Felipe M Pait on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Drives very well, "dynamic safety" is the buzzword. Standard safety features do not tempt buyer to economize in the wrong places. Station wagon's trunk spacious for car size. Engine has a lot of power, actually way more than needed. Fuel economy with turbo manual is _better_ than EPA rating; I get 30 mpg in my normal drive. No mechanical problems after 2 years, 25K miles, Boston winters. Quibbles: Windshield wipers noisy. Console in GLS model has to be in the up position, otherwise it interferes with stick shift, better not have one. Car was delivered without proper wheel balancing and alignment: dealer fixed at no cost, but still.

They're Not All Lemons
By DenverKen on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm surprised to hear about so many major problems others have had. My car has been pretty great. Last car was a Honda Civic. The Jetta is fun to drive, super peppy, comfortable, and I'm getting about 30MPG. The car was recalled for the coils (after I had to be towed once because of poor behavior related to the coils). Mechanically, the Honda was perfect - never a problem with it. The coil issues, and frequently blown taillights, are annoying, but all in all I'm very happy with the Jetta. Mine was manufactured/assembled in Germany - it was the first year of the wagons.